Local install on a Mac

HoddzDJ

Okay so I have used easyPHP on my PC for a while and would be interested in getting a local install running on my Mac that is linked to the remote mySQL database to further customise and improve the functionality of my forums. I have seen many people of late running different software on their machines to run and check builds before they launch them live. I can only see this is a positive thing, so would be open to suggestions of what to use and also how to set it up to my remote database that is using the live forums.

I was using a local install for testing using xampp but then found that some things don't work the same locally as they do on my host. My shared host imposes restraints as far as APC and so on.

For this reason, I opted for a test install on my host. This provided me with other advantages as well, like a speedy backup/restore method using sypex.

I setup my forums as such:

www.dodgeboard.com/forums (live board)
www.dodgeboard.com/testforums (dev board)

I have sypex integrated into the admincp so I can do a very quick backup of my database on my live forums and turn around and import it into my dev board, or vise/versa.

For me, this is the only true way of seeing how changes will react on my host.

That's the same way that I do it, the only difference is I made a test.mysite.whatever instead of www.mysite.whatever. The test site uses an htaccess password so only I can get into it, and it being in a seperate directory/ftp on my server I don't make the mistake of doing things on my live site by mistake.

That's the same way that I do it, the only difference is I made a test.mysite.whatever instead of www.mysite.whatever. The test site uses an htaccess password so only I can get into it, and it being in a seperate directory/ftp on my server I don't make the mistake of doing things on my live site by mistake.

Very good idea. Xenforo's license agreement states that your test install not be publicliy accessible. Two methods will accomplish this, the deny,allow method in the htaccess, or the htaccess password method you are using. I use the deny,allow method to avoid me having to enter a password all the time....and yes, I've accidentally made changes to the live forum when I thought I was on the test forum. Now, I find myself constantly watching the address bar before clicking "save".

With regards to the OP's question, I'd be interested to know what the options are on a Mac too. Bit of a newbie here, having never run PHP locally, only ever done it on web hosts.

With regards to the OP's question, I'd be interested to know what the options are on a Mac too. Bit of a newbie here, having never run PHP locally, only ever done it on web hosts.
I haven't owned my MacBook Pro for long, but I have been a Mac user for a few years now and I'd never buy another Windows PC again. I find Macs much more smoother and reliable to a PC.

Looks like I will be running the software on a private directory, the only thing that is putting me off is having to upload the updates to two different locations, rather than have them local so once they are downloaded from XF.com I can run it straight away, but I guess that comes with the territory.

Top Bottom