1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add-on Working on a 'classifieds' add-on...

Discussion in 'Resource and Add-on Discussions' started by Mr. Goodie2Shoes, Dec 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

Mr. Goodie2Shoes Well-Known Member

So I am working on a classified system, in my free, time which will have all the necessary features for a classified app that I can think of including:
    • Buyer and Seller rating system
    • Different Advert Types
    • Custom Fields
    • Custom Prefixes
    • Different Packages that users can buy to post their advert
    • Multi-level categories
    • Advert renewal
    The system also includes integration with Paygate for processing the charges. Integration with thread where users can discuss the item, etc.

I will need some help on the features: like what other features do you want to see this in this app? How do you want the public pages to look like?

I am also considering to add auctioning but that's for a later version. :)

P.S Here are some sneak peeks :D

Attached Files:

• 5.png
      File size:
      438.9 KB
    • 6.png
      File size:
      447.7 KB
    • 1.png
      File size:
      362.9 KB
    • 3.png
      File size:
      429.5 KB
    • 2.png
      File size:
      377.5 KB
    • 4.png
      File size:
      444.9 KB
  2. Steve F

Steve F Well-Known Member

Public pages could simply be like how the RM does now. It could surely make creating the add-on a bit easier and it would also look consistent with the design.

Being able to set categories would also be helpful to organize and find listings easier.

An option to be set by an Admin requiring a user to agree to terms of use before submitting a classified listing.
    0ptima likes this.
  3. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

I was also thinking of going with RM's layout, but move the images to the top like IPB's one.

Thanks, added to my to-do list :D
    Steve F likes this.
  4. Andrej

Andrej Well-Known Member

I have some ideas for features as well:

Ability to control the renewal price: re-list for free, a reduced price, or for full price.

Sidebar blocks such as 'Latest Classifieds', 'Random Classified', 'Popular classifieds', and 'Soon to expire classifieds', either without, or in conjunction with, Widget Framework. It would also be logical to include a 'Other items from this advertiser' block below the listning.

Ability to watch individual classifieds and classifieds categories (including sub-directories if the user wants to) is a must.

Ability to set default currency for all ads, or allow users to specify the currency they want.

Ability for users to feature their own classifieds for additional fee.
    HWS, erich37 and 0ptima like this.
  5. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

I currently use threads with custom thread fields for my classifieds. I would like to see it work similar to the RM with an option to have a thread created for each classified.

When browsing the classified forum, below the thread title you could see some of the custom fields from the ad like price, location, etc
    Here is an example

To prevent fraud, there should be a change log to log all changes to the classified ad. So if there is a price change, description change, etc, the discussion thread would be updated with the change, just like how the RM works.

Once the sale has been completed, the seller could then delete the ad and the thread would be updated again, however the thread would remain.
    erich37 and Steve F like this.
  6. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

Already added :3

Added it to my to-do list :)

What can the actions be?

Added it to my to-do list

Already added ;)

I think it would be better not to make the threads cluttered with all the 'updates' the changes can be logged internally and if there's any dispute the mods can then look into the change log to verify them...

I think we should keep listing page as free as possible and also, the resource usage will increase if I add custom field values...

so you are saying users wont be able to delete the item before the sale?
  7. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Add them to a version history tab like the RM.

I think this is key feature to have the classifieds integrated with the forum. If someone is browsing the forum with the classified threads (or click on the "new posts" button) they will not want to click on each item to see where it is located or how much it costs.

No. They would be able to delete the item at anytime, but this would not delete the associated discussion.
  8. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

makes sense... :)

hmmm... maybe add a new option for the field form, if selected, the fields will be included on thread view?

9. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  10. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Sounds good. :)
  11. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

0ptima likes this.
  12. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

ummm... there wont be any versioning for classifieds... I am creating a whole new system which has no relation with RM whatsoever.

yes, users can upload related resources like images, docs. The file types can be managed from adminCP.

I am going with the same position as RM's 'Download' button. :)
    erich37 likes this.
  13. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Without versioning, people could change the price or description of the items once the sale has been completed.
  14. Steve F

A history log would be good, I think what @erich37 wants is to make sure a version number is not required to submit of classifieds item.
    denam, 0ptima, MattW and 1 other person like this.
  15. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

History log would be perfect, same as the way it's done in posts.
    Mr. Goodie2Shoes and Steve F like this.
  16. Steve F

Also I think it would be nice to have an option to require a reason for the edit when editing a classified item.

Edit: Possibly make it so anyone can view the reason also.
    0ptima likes this.
  17. Andrej

Andrej Well-Known Member

Save it for later, get notified if the classified has been edited, soon to expire, etc. Or for instance I want to watch a specific category (or keywords) and get notified of when new classifieds are posted in the specific category (or ones who have the specific keyword).
    Mr. Goodie2Shoes and 0ptima like this.
  18. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

The history log should be visible to all. This would prevent someone from changing the description of an item once the item has shipped.
  19. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

okay, so I am going with how XF's posts' history are done, and the the history can be viewable to users with permissions.
  20. Vitor Dos Reis

Vitor Dos Reis Active Member

The big question: when it's available? Because I need this to tomorrow :D
    trizz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.