Add-on New Classifieds Add-on - (Draft)

My sites are fairly large and active - 4k to 5k concurrent users. When on VB we used Photopost Classifieds (yuck!) for the past 13 years or so. PP Classifieds is rotten software but it includes an "auction" function. Speaking from my experience, sellers think that they want this feature - but it's unrealistic and impractical for a forum without tens of thousands of concurrent users. In the real world poorly attended auctions lead to low bidding and either unsold goods or dissatisfied sellers. Typical forums have so few shoppers/bidders that it's the same thing. The reason auctions work so well on eBay is the millions of shoppers worldwide. No matter how big your forum is it's most likely not big enough to successfully operate an "auction" system.

Classified Ads are not auctions and in my opinion those lobbying for the addition of Auctions in this potential new Classifieds system are slowing down and possibly dooming the development of this much needed addon.

My sites are fairly large and active - 4k to 5k concurrent users. When on VB we used Photopost Classifieds (yuck!) for the past 13 years or so. PP Classifieds is rotten software but it includes an "auction" function. Speaking from my experience, sellers think that they want this feature - but it's unrealistic and impractical for a forum without tens of thousands of concurrent users. In the real world poorly attended auctions lead to low bidding and either unsold goods or dissatisfied sellers. Typical forums have so few shoppers/bidders that it's the same thing. The reason auctions work so well on eBay is the millions of shoppers worldwide. No matter how big your forum is it's most likely not big enough to successfully operate an "auction" system.

Classified Ads are not auctions and in my opinion those lobbying for the addition of Auctions in this potential new Classifieds system are slowing down and possibly dooming the development of this much needed addon.
Exactly my experience and opinion! Well said!

Anyone looking for auctions should actually consider a auctions specific add-on. It's a totally different medium than a classified add section.

Top Bottom