Windows 8.1

If your happy with win 7 than there is really no need. If you want a faster system with some new changes than go for it :)

Thanks what I thought lol.. Just figured i should ask in case ive missed something big about Win8 or it's advisable to update for a reason rather than just wanting to. Cheers.

Darren

Been using it for a few days, had a few issues which I didn't get with Windows 7

When I exit a full screen 3d game, the desktop is unresponsive, I have to ctrl+alt+delete and log off, then back on, to make it work again
Seems to happen about 25% of the time, it's annoying heh
End tasking Explorer.exe and restarting it doesn't seem to work either.

I hate the fact Windows 8 defaults opening things like Videos/pictures to the full screen, tablet type interface, but fixed that by installing media player classic and assigning all images to Windows picture viewer.

Speed wise, shutdown is a lot faster, my computer shut off last night in about 4 seconds, startup is faster too
General use is hard to tell if it's any better, my machine is a quad core I5 processor, with 2x Agility 3 SSD drives in Raid 0....oh and a stupid amount of ram (32gb....it was free, that's why :P)

You bought something without doing research about the product? Tells everything
Ahem, it was a small jest. I'm sorry that your sense of humour is out to lunch.

On a lighter note, I am glad that Windows 8.1 brought back the start menu so I don't have to gesture or use the keyboard to get back to the start screen. Now it it can be done with keyboard, mouse or touch screen with one button. That popup start button was just so temperamental, especially if another program is open.

Last edited:
I've gotten used to Windows 8.1 now, it's not as bad as people make it out to be
If you're hating the metro UI thing, as I do, then you can get around that very easily, install the classic start menu program, it's free
Minus the start screen (I have my computer password protected), it's just like running Windows 7 again.
It's a lot faster to boot up and shut down, programs seem to behave the same in terms of performance, so I can't complain heh.

That's why they have marketing departments, fans who praise OS made for tablets to hype up this garbage. It tells you nothing.
Actually, the little playing I did with a clients Surface Pro 2 ended up in me liking it (with the attached keyboard).
The truth will be on 12/24. Mr. UPS should be ringing my doorbell with a package. New Surface Pro 2 provided to me by a client in lieu of payment for work I've done for them (and even at that they are coming out WAY ahead).
We were going to get a 256GB one - but the only places you can currently find them are Amazon/Ebay and they want around a $300 premium since nobody has them in stock. Figure if they like the current one they are using I'll just let them have this one back and they can get me the 256GB that we originally planned on.

Our IT department made it clear with the death of XP updates in April they'll make the switch to win 7, but win 8 is totally out of the question, mostly with being some new hipster the company has no need for

Our IT department made it clear with the death of XP updates in April they'll make the switch to win 7, but win 8 is totally out of the question, mostly with being some new hipster the company has no need for
Oh, for anything but a small office (like the 3 man tax shop I do some work for) I wouldn't suggest touching it with a 50 10 foot poles lashed together.
For what I'm needing it for (and for the doctors office to use by the physicians to interface with their current software) it will work nicely.
There is no iPad application written for their software as it was originally coded by a doctor for his own office use and then branched out from there to a small IT company he started up. Up until about 4 years ago they were MS Access based for the DB. They finally moved into the bigs with MSSQL (mainly at the urging of the office I do work at).

Actually, the little playing I did with a clients Surface Pro 2 ended up in me liking it (with the attached keyboard).
The truth will be on 12/24. Mr. UPS should be ringing my doorbell with a package. New Surface Pro 2 provided to me by a client in lieu of payment for work I've done for them (and even at that they are coming out WAY ahead).
We were going to get a 256GB one - but the only places you can currently find them are Amazon/Ebay and they want around a $300 premium since nobody has them in stock. Figure if they like the current one they are using I'll just let them have this one back and they can get me the 256GB that we originally planned on.

I think I would like win8 on the surface . I doubt i would have any issues with it whatsoever since it's a tablet and feel the OS is catered for tablets. Looking at the specs the surface pro 2 (latest version) is a tablet I think I would get on well with.

One annoying problem I seem to have, is on occasion, it forgets my wireless settings.
I have to click the wireless network and reenter the password, seems to do it every few days on cold boot up, lol.
Thought it might be the wireless dongle I use, so swapped it for another, but still the same thing, very odd.

One annoying problem I seem to have, is on occasion, it forgets my wireless settings.
I have to click the wireless network and reenter the password, seems to do it every few days on cold boot up, lol.
Thought it might be the wireless dongle I use, so swapped it for another, but still the same thing, very odd.
This simple fix worked for me. Delete your wifi profile and remake a new.

Top Bottom