Windows 10

I kinda stuck with Windows 7 for ages, I tried Windows 8 two or three times, but just couldn't get used to the tile interface
Decided to give it a try again with 8.1 and the Classicshell addon, now I wouldn't go back to Windows 7
Classic shell makes it like Windows 7, without all the tile crap.
I might give 10 a try, but I don't see anything groundbreaking between it and Windows 7 or 8 so far.

I hope the Notification Center(If it comes) will expand and do more than what the present Windows Phone Version does.

I also hope that with Cortana integration, it is Always On so you can say "Hey Cortana" and quickly access her for your needs.

I might give 10 a try, but I don't see anything groundbreaking between it and Windows 7 or 8 so far.

Command console can now be dynamically resized, text selected, and take commands such as ctrl-v without freaking out. That was one of the better discoveries I have found so far.

Indeed. But how is that "groundbreaking"?
People keep using words like "Groundbreaking"

What exactly is it that Mac or Linux that is doing that is groundbreaking?
(Nothing that i heard of..though Mac with the new iPhones is really well imo).

Why can't it be a software that is returning to its form while implementing some new features. For as much as people criticize them....Live tiles was a new and innovative(groundbreaking) feature for both Windows Phone and Windows 8.

It's better than looking at a grid of ugly icons and has more functionality. And it looks more attractive than just throwing a bunch of widgets on your desktop/homescreen. And with Windows Phone 8.1 released, for the idiots who complained about the tiles and their colors it now can be set to transparent for those who hated the solid color look(Admittedly now with transparent live tiles that show your desktop background, I can't imagine just using a solid color for my tiles)

I hate to use XF as an example but there is really nothing groundbreaking about XF that most other software presently can't do for the most part but the software itself is great and does what it does well and does various tasks better than its competitors. Without anything groundbreaking, just better implemented.

Which is what I see Windows 10 as...It doesnn't NEED to be groundbreaking.

It's an evolutionary Windows 7 with a better implemented Windows 8.

For as much as people criticize them....Live tiles was a new and innovative(groundbreaking) feature for both Windows Phone and Windows 8.

"Live Tiles" just reminds me of widgets on an Android phone. Around since I first had a Motorola Droid... I hardly see that as "groundbreaking".

I hate to use XF as an example but there is really nothing groundbreaking about XF that most other software presently can't do for the most part but the software itself is great and does what it does well and does various tasks better than its competitors.

May I ask where it was ever stated that it was groundbreaking?

I see that brought up all the time, but I cannot recall anyone actually saying it.

"Live Tiles" just reminds me of widgets on an Android phone. Around since I first had a Motorola Droid... I hardly see that as "groundbreaking".

I see it as a feature that existed on Android(And prior to that Windows Mobile) and was implemented in a creative way to create something Unique and different.

Perhaps not ground breaking but at the same time I do feel it was an innovative feature. That feature alone is what drove me to join the Windows Phone party and embrace Windows 8 :D

May I ask where it was ever stated that it was groundbreaking?

I see that brought up all the time, but I cannot recall anyone actually saying it.

What Xenforo?
I am not sure if the word groundbreaking was ever used, so i can't say that with 100 percent certainty however given the way people describe Xenforo as a software, you'd think Xenforo was something that was magically created that offered something groundbreaking and never before seen ever.

Again that's just my opinion and given that this IS a Xenforo Based site, i of course don't expect you to see or understand my opinion. But generally the way people describe Xenforo is a software that blows IPB, WBB, and Vb out the water and nothing can compare to it when in reality Xenforo is basically the same as any other software just with better implemented features.

If it wasn't for the fact it's Friday, I'd go scour various forums to look for threads to further back up this but it's irrelevant.

These are the same people who brag about the Forum Alerts(which are great and certainly better than IPB's method) and bragging that XF was the first or one of the first to have this feature(We'll ignore that it really came from FB)

I could go on but it's friday and besides this thread isn't about XF, I just used it as an example as I get the impression that a lot of people find this software to be groundbreaking(And they are free to think so) when I see Xenforo as an evolution of what already exists...just better implemented.

I've read plenty of your posts/drama/tantrums to fully understand your opinion. No worries on that one.

Enjoy your Friday.

And I've been involved in plenty of your posts/drama/tantrums about my complaints and opinions about a software I use to fully understand your opinion as well :)

Enjoy yours, Sheldon!

It is funny how ALT tab window switching is only now a thing on Windows though, I remember using that functionality on Linux Mint 5.

I believe that every single digit number will make people remember Windows 8 (which was a disaster) so that's why they went with 10 instead of 9 as a way to say everyone something like "hey! this is something completely new, it doesn't have anything to do with Windows 8 nor is a continuation of that"
Windows 10 (WindowsNT 6.4) is still Vista (WindowsNT 6.0)

They are. They're currently following the Apple OSX "upgrade" model (free).

You have to wonder how they'll keep that up.
OSX is based off of UNIX, free is part of the deal. MS shouldn't follow this model. MS actually have created their own kernel.
You know the OS is bad when the biggest features are:

- Multiple desktops
- Copy/Paste support in command prompt
- Reintroduction of features previously removed

Unless I'm missing something, other than the really dumb idea to scale 1 OS across 3 device types, that's it isnt it? I've not seen any other notable features.
Linux

Yup I kinda feel the same, along with the idea that Microsoft is not Apple and they should not be trying to emulate anything they do, product or philosophy (trying to convert desktop users to mobile users by changing the desktop up is a slap in the face no go.).
I agree!
It is funny how ALT tab window switching is only now a thing on Windows though, I remember using that functionality on Linux Mint 5.
LOL!

OSX is based off of UNIX, free is part of the deal. MS shouldn't follow this model. MS actually have created their own kernel.
UNIX wasn't free. OS X is POSIX-compliant but not quite the same as UNIX. Apple developed their own kernel, Darwin/XNU. Parts are based off of BSD, which in-turn is based off of UNIX.

Free wasn't part of the deal not too long ago, it's only been about 5 years that Apple has been giving free major upgrades. FOSS licenses are very broad with many not requiring that any derivative works be commercial-free.. they generally just have to provide attribution.

OS X having Unix (Darwin) roots has absolutely nothing at all to do with price. Even Windows uses GPL licensed code in it's OS. Many commercial software packages make use of free elements, perfectly legally.

Remember that Apple do also contribute pretty significantly to the *nix community. The Darwin base was built by Apple (well, technically NeXTSTEP but released by Apple) , based around the Unix kernel's methodology, hence why it falls under the *nix category.

You can still grab all their opensource contributions here: http://www.opensource.apple.com/

Top Bottom