Windows 10

I heard a rumor, which I guess I am now perpetuating, that it will be free for a certain amount of time, say a year, then it will be subscription. If that's true, they will make a lot of people angry.

I heard a rumor, which I guess I am now perpetuating, that it will be free for a certain amount of time, say a year, then it will be subscription. If that's true, they will make a lot of people angry.
By rumor you mean hundreds of thousands of confused people who have no facts but are running around saying such?

It will be available as a free upgrade for a year. People who get it within the year will not have to pay for it after the year ends. It's not a subscription.

However, if you don't upgrade within the year then you will need to pay for it (one time purchase). This is meant to drive adoption, I think. Thinking the OS itself will be a subscription purchase is laughable at best.

It will be available as a free upgrade for a year. People who get it within the year will not have to pay for it after the year ends. It's not a subscription.
Similar to Windows 8 > 8.1 (There was a time limit to do it free of charge)
I did not pay for it, and not subscribing to have updates.

Edit:
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/
Delivering Windows as a Service and a Free Upgrade to Windows 10
Today was a monumental day for us on the Windows team because we shared our desire to redefine the relationship we have with you – our customers. We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.

Last edited:
I If they had kept going the opposite direction I would be adjusting to Mac OS in a few years.
I'd be doing it anyway. I've got several Ubuntu boxes, a Windows 7 box, a Windows 8.1 tablet (S. Pro) and my Mac all sitting here. The others stay turned off 98% of the time... only when I need to do something that is either Windows specific or test with Linux.

I'd upgrade just for DX12. Oh and Cortana. That's going to be very useful for me. It would be fantastic if I could be composing one email and speaking to Cortana to compose another in the background. Since Apple and Microsoft share their patents, I imagine they'll introduce mobile forwarding regardless of OS to the computer like Apple has. Yosemite is a great OS, but I seem to hear an equal number of complaints about the bug fixing Cupertino needs to do.

I've been testing it recently and like where it's heading. I'm particularly looking forward to the DX12 capabilities in utilizing GFX cards and getting more from them. Already on the spare box I am getting better benchmark results testing on an MSI GTX 770 though I haven't yet test on my main gaming box.

Looking forward in testing it with the SLI GTX 980 when they eventually enable Dx12 on my main box. Overall, it's looking good and functioning nicely.

Psst Micah - I'm now using Windows 8.1 o_O ;)

I've been testing it recently and like where it's heading. I'm particularly looking forward to the DX12 capabilities in utilizing GFX cards and getting more from them. Already on the spare box I am getting better benchmark results testing on an MSI GTX 770 though I haven't yet test on my main gaming box.

Looking forward in testing it with the SLI GTX 980 when they eventually enable Dx12 on my main box. Overall, it's looking good and functioning nicely.

Psst Micah - I'm now using Windows 8.1 o_O ;)

If that's the case, the final version should be much faster. Windows 8.1 is faster for me than 10 (not gaming, just regular web browsing etc.).

Windows 10 going monitor less :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

now the metro UI makes perfect sense

If that's the case, the final version should be much faster. Windows 8.1 is faster for me than 10 (not gaming, just regular web browsing etc.).

I see no reason why it won't be faster once the graphic cards utilize the dx12 capabilities. There's some stuff I don't like like the explorer icons (ugly looking things) Notifications was a nice touch (though I think there's room for improvement) but the way I'm looking at it it replaces that redundant Charms bar from what I read which prompted it's removal.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but I couldn't see Cortana working. I think i read that you have to set the language to English American or adjust the keyboards to American. I could be mistaken but couldn't get the assistant working. Eitherway, I'll see where it goes and hopefully it'll be worth upgrading later on the year.

Put it on my rig a few days ago. its actually quite nice, I like where they are going with it. It does need a few things fixed to it, just like any software, but overall its way better than windows 8 in my opinion. I could post some screenshots, or videos if you guys want some ;)

Put it on my rig a few days ago. its actually quite nice, I like where they are going with it. It does need a few things fixed to it, just like any software, but overall its way better than windows 8 in my opinion. I could post some screenshots, or videos if you guys want some ;)
I'd love to see some screens. :) I'm not on the W8 hate train like a lot of other people, I think it's a great OS, but it still sounds like Microsoft is correcting a lot of their mistakes with W10. Especially thrilled to hear that we can use Metro apps on the desktop now!

I would have tried the newest upgrade out but I got rid of all but the one windows disc (and I am not risking a working windows installation) I have left that allows me to install and validate so I can actually use it without spending 45 minutes on my phone (every time I reinstall) because they deactivated my license because apparently they can legally tell me how many times I can wipe out my OS and start from scratch and still require me to own a phone to activate my license which I own and have a physical and original windows disc that is and has not been copied or used in any violation of what is acceptable use for it.

If Microsoft actually reads things here...maybe they would take note of this from someone who bought licenses for himself and friends (I wouldn't say this if it was 2 or three discs) so they wouldn't have to run black modified discs and use bs like the KVM activator hacks. With all the hooks Microsoft has into the OS remotely there is no reason they can not properly manage this license...it's a major inconvenience that is marketed to piss people off and make them buy a new instead of wasting their time on the phone to use something they already own.

When Microsoft make things right with me for the thousands I have spent with them which essentially has been stolen by monopolizing so much of my time to initialize use of something I paid them for, I will be willing to give anything new of theirs a chance...better hurry though, I am getting really good with centOS and make my self use it daily for a desktop w/ and w/o gui along with my win7 and if it get's that bad I will make sure I teach every single person I know free of charge how to avoid microsoft products.

While I am sure w10 is great and all (or at least an improvement from 8.x), I am not a sheep and do not get marketed into forgiveness or allow those who took my money to placate me.

Heres some images (sorry for being late). Feel free to ask any questions ;)

If you want more or better pictures, let me know!
full

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
Thanks @Summit ! Digging the Mass Effect background. ;)

How are you liking Cortana, if you've used it much? I've been skeptical about such systems, but I recently enabled Google Now on my phone and it's been quite helpful.

Thanks @Summit ! Digging the Mass Effect background. ;)

How are you liking Cortana, if you've used it much? I've been skeptical about such systems, but I recently enabled Google Now on my phone and it's been quite helpful.
Haha thanks, I love that game :D

She's not bad, I tried her a little bit, comes in handy when you really don't feel like typing a long search haha

All in all though, kind of a gimmick like siri

Last edited:
Top Bottom