Windows 10

Well before they started heading back in the right direction I joked 10 would remove monitor support. If it makes sense or has been around for awhile we should remove it right? How to use? They will install it directly into your head with a knife and then take your cash.

Now that 8.1 Update 1 and soon to be 9 make a little more sense I am not so silly about it.

I believe that every single digit number will make people remember Windows 8 (which was a disaster) so that's why they went with 10 instead of 9 as a way to say everyone something like "hey! this is something completely new, it doesn't have anything to do with Windows 8 nor is a continuation of that"

Thus far it seems to be a step in the right direction. Not working against the touch stuff that's actually good and works for a lot of people, but making the desktop a first-class citizen again... like it should have been. Essentially they're doing what they should have to begin with... releasing a version of Windows 8 with two more years' development so it actually resembles a finished product!

I believe that every single digit number will make people remember Windows 8 (which was a disaster) so that's why they went with 10 instead of 9 as a way to say everyone something like "hey! this is something completely new, it doesn't have anything to do with Windows 8 nor is a continuation of that"

I've noticed a trend.

• Windows XP: Good
  • Windows Vista: Bad
  • Windows 7: Good
  • Windows 8: Bad

Windows 9 would be good, which would make Windows 10 bad. ;)

I've noticed a trend.

• Windows XP: Good
  • Windows Vista: Bad
  • Windows 7: Good
  • Windows 8: Bad

Windows 9 would be good, which would make Windows 10 bad. ;)

That trend was all Balmers fault. The guy was pure crap for Microsoft.

Vista was his first Windows after Gates left. 7 Was essentially Vista v2. 8 was a reaction to needing a mobile/tablet OS.

Somehow he got it in his head that he could take Windows 7, port it to ARM, introduce a "revolutionary" touch interface, and people would love it. Reality came in and people realised that Windows on tablets is dire, and still don't have a patch on an iPad or Android tablet.

Hopefully Windows 10 will not be as poorly thought out. I have to wonder how long they'll keep up this futile attempt at tablet and mobile devices though. They clearly suck at it and it's not looking like they're getting good enough, quick enough.

That trend was all Balmers fault. The guy was pure crap for Microsoft.

Vista was his first Windows after Gates left. 7 Was essentially Vista v2. 8 was a reaction to needing a mobile/tablet OS.

Somehow he got it in his head that he could take Windows 7, port it to ARM, introduce a "revolutionary" touch interface, and people would love it. Reality came in and people realised that Windows on tablets is dire, and still don't have a patch on an iPad or Android tablet.

Hopefully Windows 10 will not be as poorly thought out. I have to wonder how long they'll keep up this futile attempt at tablet and mobile devices though. They clearly suck at it and it's not looking like they're getting good enough, quick enough.

Vista wasn't as terrible as people make it out to be; the majority of functionality that people like in Windows 7 was there in Vista. The majority of issues I saw people having with Vista were user error (like most issues), and would just blame the OS for their mistakes.

Also Windows RT sucks, but the Surface Pro is actually useful, even if I think it's more expensive than it should be considering you can get a similar device for cheaper. Without a touch screen, Windows 8 is garbage, and the accessibility for the disabled is pretty much non-existent.

Vista wasn't as terrible as people make it out to be; the majority of functionality that people like in Windows 7 was there in Vista. The majority of issues I saw people having with Vista were user error (like most issues), and would just blame the OS for their mistakes.

Also Windows RT sucks, but the Surface Pro is actually useful, even if I think it's more expensive than it should be considering you can get a similar device for cheaper. Without a touch screen, Windows 8 is garbage, and the accessibility for the disabled is pretty much non-existent.
Most of the issues I experienced with Vista were system issues. Things like a random 3rd party USB drive managing to cause a BSOD, and all sorts of pretty common drivers failing to work correctly.

A lot of that was down to the pissy schedule. Manufacturers really didn't get enough time before launch to update/write drivers, and the ones that did caused so many problems that for a lot of people, it just messed the systems up.

Then there was the really stupid marketing idea to tell big-box stores and OEM's that Vista would work fine on 512 MB RAM. All those "Ready for Vista" machines they sold ended up crapping out within their first year of usage.

I guess a lot of it was just really, really bad planning and trying to rush it out the door.

What I'd love to hear from Microsoft is that Windows 10 was finished a year ago, and all they're doing now is refining, optimising and bug fixing.

Apple did this with Snow Leopard and it brought a massive performance and stability boost to the OS, so much so that older machines that struggled with Leopard would work amazingly well with Snow Leopard.

It's going to be interesting to see how this goes. I just hope Mr Nadella is a bit better at his job than his predecessor! :)

Charms bar is still in Windows 10. :rolleyes:

Snap feature is pretty nice but hardly what I call "groundbreaking". It'll increase productivity but then that's why I have 3 monitors on the go for improved efficiency and productivity.

Charms bar is still there. :cry:

#luckycharms :confused:

I hated 8, but I'm liking 8.1
I bought a semi decent gaming laptop the other day, with a 250gb samsung EVO SSD drive in it...holy hell, it boots from cold, to the login screen, in about 3-5 seconds
It's awesome.

Top Bottom