Windows 10

No, these articles were written straight from the events. So, that's as close a confirmation you can get - if there's no announcement on Microsoft's site. Let me put it this way, Sony just shipped a new model of PS4, and is currently in stores. But did Sony make an announcement about it? No, because by that time, the news is common knowledge.

Microsoft hasn't confirmed or denied anything, not even at the event.

Also saying that it will be free because 8 to 8.1 was free is not a good justification at all. 8.1 was pretty much Windows 8 SP 1, they just didn't want to call it that. They didn't charge for Windows XP SP1 or SP2 or Windows Vista SP1 or Windows 7 SP1.

That article you linked to, just like any other that mentions "Windows 9" (wrong) and Windows 9 being free was written and published on September 29th. That was before the Windows 10 announcement yesterday (September 30th).

That article you linked to, just like any other that mentions "Windows 9" (wrong) and Windows 9 being free was written and published on September 29th. That was before the Windows 10 announcement yesterday (September 30th).
That's better than what I said. But I don't think Microsoft is willing to use the Windows 9 name for superstition like naming Windows 6 as Vista. People thought that Microsoft will talk about Win 9 first before Win 10, but hey: Windows 10 is announced!

Stop your witch hunt. Just quit. Drop it.

That's better than what I said. But I don't think Microsoft is willing to use the Windows 9 name for superstition like naming Windows 6 as Vista. People thought that Microsoft will talk about Win 9 first before Win 10, but hey: Windows 10 is announced!

Stop your witch hunt. Just quit. Drop it.

I like how you dodged the fact that the article you linked to was published before the event, not during, not after.

Yeah, I wasn't paying attention to the smaller details. So what. I made a mistake, now please leave me alone.

That mistake pulls your whole argument apart though. No one knows if it will be a free upgrade or a paid for one. Everything until an official statement is speculation and rumors.

Carlos, have you ever wondered why you get into so many arguments here? I'll save you the wonder: Your attitude absolutely stinks. On the contrary, you please leave us alone. Please. Drop it. Quit.
You're picking apart my posts and trying to make me look wrong, and dumb. That is why I have my attitude. You and Rev are ganging up on me.

Oh wow. Carlos made a mistake by a few words, or a few loopholes! Let's grill him!

Give me a break. I'm human, I make mistakes. You do too.

You know why I get into arguements? Its because people like you look for a reason to pick a fight with me. You just made a sarcastic comment to get back at me with these words: "On the contrary, you please leave us alone. Please. Drop it. Quit." You want to insult me? How am I supposed to treat you nicely if you treat me that way? How? There is no nice way to go about it with you and your cliques. I noticed that there is a group of people that just enjoys hurting me on a daily basis. And it's the same people over and over again - its because none of you have grown up.

When you guys stop looking for ways to argue with me, I'll be the calmest person you debate with. Until then, I will stand my ground.

If you think I enjoy having arguements or drama with you guys. Here's the secret: I don't. Never have, never will. So, for everyone who thinks that - Get that into your heads. And keep it there.
That mistake pulls your whole argument apart though. No one knows if it will be a free upgrade or a paid for one. Everything until an official statement is speculation and rumors.
Stop reading into it too much, GEEZ! :mad:

Last edited:
You're picking apart my posts and trying to make me look wrong, and dumb. That is why I have my attitude. You and Rev are ganging up on me.

Oh wow. Carlos made a mistake by a few words, or a few loopholes! Let's grill him!

Give me a break. I'm human, I make mistakes. You do too.

You know why I get into arguements? Its because people like you look for a reason to pick a fight with me. You just made a sarcastic comment to get back at me with these words: "On the contrary, you please leave us alone. Please. Drop it. Quit." You want to insult me? How am I supposed to treat you nicely if you treat me that way? How? There is no nice way to go about it with you and your cliques. I noticed that there is a group of people that just enjoys hurting me on a daily basis. And it's the same people over and over again - its because none of you have grown up.

When you guys stop looking for ways to argue with me, I'll be the calmest person you debate with. Until then, I will stand my ground.

If you think I enjoy having arguements or drama with you guys. Here's the secret: I don't. Never have, never will. So, for everyone who thinks that - Get that into your heads. And keep it there.

Stop reading into it too much, GEEZ! :mad:

This is what I call "The lucky charm mistake". Don't worry Carlos, It's happened to all of us. Where we reference things before they happen. You done good. :D

I am not going to hate on 10 yet, but at least it has somewhat of a real start menu again so at least they are listening a little bit to the people that do more than treat a computer like a toy.

1: search/open -> regedit
2: navigate to -> ImmersiveShell , create a new key called -> EdgeUI.
3: create -> DWORD , with a name of -> DisableCharmsHint and set its value to -> 1

or

Copy and paste following text into a new text document and save as unluckycharms.reg and then double click it.

Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\EdgeUI]
"DisableCharmsHint"=dword:00000001

I'm not really hating on it tbh. I actually think this version will be better but I'm making preparations to switch since Windows 7 won't be supported much longer. I may be wrong but i think I read somewhere that Microsoft will stop support in 2015. Honestly though, I think Windows 10 will be a big improvement over 8.

but I'm making preparations to switch since Windows 7 won't be supported much longer.

Where'd you get that from? Support for Windows XP just ended, so it'll probably still be quite a while before Windows 7 has the same fate. I mean, it's still getting updates.

Where'd you get that from? Support for Windows XP just ended, so it'll probably still be quite a while before Windows 7 has the same fate. I mean, it's still getting updates.

I'm quite sure it was from one of the tech blogs. I read it on google news stand. If I can find the link I'll post it.

I'm not really hating on it tbh. I actually think this version will be better but I'm making preparations to switch since Windows 7 won't be supported much longer. I may be wrong but i think I read somewhere that Microsoft will stop support in 2015. Honestly though, I think Windows 10 will be a big improvement over 8.

According to M$:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

I am personally in hopes that 10 is an improvement because changing up windows as my main operating system would be a serious hassle and while I can deal with the alternating 'acceptable os' release model...after two releases that I can not use I would have to give up on them.

According to M$:

I am personally in hopes that 10 is an improvement because changing up windows as my main operating system would be a serious hassle and while I can deal with the alternating 'acceptable os' release model...after two releases that I can not use I would have to give up on them.

So it looks like support for Windows XP ended a few years before it actually died, so Windows 7 looks to be good until 2020. However, what exactly is the difference between mainstream and extended support?

Edit: Never mind. Got my answer.

According to M$:

Yeah, the article was referencing Mainstream support I read.

Yeah, I am hopeful that Windows 10 is something I'll use since I've spent a ton of money on hardware and software. For me the switch will be hassle but it's definitely something I'm preparing for. I just like to poke fun at Microsoft with that Charms bar. :p I'll never take it seriously.

Service Packs (some refer to them as "point" releases) have always been free with Windows. Seems like they are just going back to the old way of referring to things. Getting rid of Service Packs, and calling them point releases.

Service Packs came out with Windows 95 I believe. Before that, I believe Windows 3.0 you had to buy, but Windows 3.1 was free I think. Windows NT was similar I believe.

So, yeah, nothing really new here with pricing. Windows 8 upgrades cost next to nothing for most people with Windows 7. I think mine was $14.

No need for all the rage in a cage stuff.

Service Packs (some refer to them as "point" releases) have always been free with Windows. Seems like they are just going back to the old way of referring to things. Getting rid of Service Packs, and calling them point releases.

Service Packs came out with Windows 95 I believe. Before that, I believe Windows 3.0 you had to buy, but Windows 3.1 was free I think. Windows NT was similar I believe.

So, yeah, nothing really new here with pricing. Windows 8 upgrades cost next to nothing for most people with Windows 7. I think mine was $14.

No need for all the rage in a cage stuff.
Windows 95 had a service pack?

According to Wikipedia, there were 3.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_95

IIRC, Service Pack 2 was the majority of most Windows 95 installs. I think there was a better/rewritten TCP/IP stack in that, but maybe I'm thinking of windows 98

The first service pack was made available half a year after the original release and fixed a number of small bugs.

The second service pack mainly introduced support for new hardware. Most notably support for hard drives larger than 2 GB in the form of the FAT32 file system. This release was never made available to end-users directly and was only sold through OEMs with the purchase of a new PC.

A full third service pack was never released, but two smaller updates to the second were released in the form of a USB Supplement (OSR 2.1) and the Windows Desktop Update(OSR 2.5). Both were available as stand-alone updates and as updated disc images shipped by OEMs. OSR 2.5 was notable for featuring a number of changes to the Windows Explorer, integrating it with Internet Explorer 4.0—this version of the Explorer looks very similar to the one featured in Windows 98.

There is no 'take it with a grain of salt.' It's confirmed. Done deal. As I said, Microsoft is following the Apple OSX model. Meaning any upgrade will be free.

Confirmed by who? Microsoft themselves have not confirmed (nor denied) this during the event. We just have to wait and see.

Top Bottom