Windows 10

I heard Microsoft offering free upgrade for Windows 8 user.
They are. They're currently following the Apple OSX "upgrade" model (free).

If you're currently a Windows 8 user, you're given access to download of 8.1. So, if you've been there from the beginning of W8, you were able to upgrade to 8.1. Therefore, if Microsoft says you can upgrade to Windows 9 from W8 and above, then you're going to get it for free.

There is no 'take it with a grain of salt.' It's confirmed. Done deal. As I said, Microsoft is following the Apple OSX model. Meaning any upgrade will be free. I'm a Windows 8 user, and I upgraded to 8.1 no problem. No paywalls, no subscription fee, no BS. Just free. No upgrade paths, no having to buy a new version of Windows. Nothing. Just click upgrade and go.

This is what they'll have to do if they want to raise the adoption rate of W8/9. They're considering doing this for WXP and other operating systems including Vista.

There is no 'take it with a grain of salt.' It's confirmed. Done deal. As I said, Microsoft is following the Apple OSX model. Meaning any upgrade will be free. I'm a Windows 8 user, and I upgraded to 8.1 no problem. No paywalls, no subscription fee, no BS. Just free. No upgrade paths, no having to buy a new version of Windows. Nothing. Just click upgrade and go.

This is what they'll have to do if they want to raise the adoption rate of W8/9. They're considering doing this for WXP and other operating systems including Vista.
It's still "grey" until I saw and upgraded my 8.1 to 10. Muwa hahahaha

Nah, just kidding. :D

You have to wonder how they'll keep that up.

Apple can get away with giving their OS away as it's covered in the price of the hardware.

Presumably new Windows machines will use a paid copy that the OEM pays for under license. Either way though, they'd still be set to loose a fair bit of money by allowing free upgrades.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they keep the idiotic "Home", "Pro", "Business", "Insert edition here" releases, and allow a free upgrade to "Home" edition, then make the "Pro" one a paid upgrade.

Microsoft's money comes from software sales so they do need to be making money somewhere here.

That being said, it could be a case of taking a hit in the short run to get everyone moved over to the new OS so they can then announce it as the most successful version ever.

You have to wonder how they'll keep that up.

Apple can get away with giving their OS away as it's covered in the price of the hardware.

Presumably new Windows machines will use a paid copy that the OEM pays for under license. Either way though, they'd still be set to loose a fair bit of money by allowing free upgrades.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they keep the idiotic "Home", "Pro", "Business", "Insert edition here" releases, and allow a free upgrade to "Home" edition, then make the "Pro" one a paid upgrade.

Microsoft's money comes from software sales so they do need to be making money somewhere here.

That being said, it could be a case of taking a hit in the short run to get everyone moved over to the new OS so they can then announce it as the most successful version ever.
I'm 95% certain it's just speculation anyway. I don't believe anything about upgrades was announced yesterday.

Take it with a grain of salt :D
I do.
There is no 'take it with a grain of salt.' It's confirmed. Done deal.
Please give me a link where it's confirmed by Microsoft.

I'm a Windows 8 user, and I upgraded to 8.1 no problem. No paywalls, no subscription fee, no BS. Just free. No upgrade paths, no having to buy a new version of Windows. Nothing. Just click upgrade and go.

Note the version numbers: 8 to 8.1
Not 8 to 9.

They are most certainly not following "Apples" model. They'll release Windows *coughs* codename: "Ben Ten" *coughs* and fight monsters of all sorts. Monsters such as the "Charm Bar monster" the, holy crap it's the "Badly designed UI Monster" serving benefits to the mobile community forgetting the desktop users. Following Apples model? Not a chance, it's going to throw faeries, goblins and lucky charms at us and the last time I checked, Apple does not serve up this model to it's customer base.

It'll "Explode" in their face - Shelley's prediction. :D

Best windows yet and lots of goodies in command prompt

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I am not going to hate on 10 yet, but at least it has somewhat of a real start menu again so at least they are listening a little bit to the people that do more than treat a computer like a toy.

Charms bar is still in Windows 10. :rolleyes:

Snap feature is pretty nice but hardly what I call "groundbreaking". It'll increase productivity but then that's why I have 3 monitors on the go for improved efficiency and productivity.

Charms bar is still there. :cry:

#luckycharms :confused:

1: search/open -> regedit
2: navigate to -> ImmersiveShell , create a new key called -> EdgeUI.
3: create -> DWORD , with a name of -> DisableCharmsHint and set its value to -> 1

or

Copy and paste following text into a new text document and save as unluckycharms.reg and then double click it.

Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\EdgeUI]
"DisableCharmsHint"=dword:00000001

Last edited:
You know the OS is bad when the biggest features are:

- Multiple desktops
- Copy/Paste support in command prompt
- Reintroduction of features previously removed

Unless I'm missing something, other than the really dumb idea to scale 1 OS across 3 device types, that's it isnt it? I've not seen any other notable features.

Unless I'm missing something, other than the really dumb idea to scale 1 OS across 3 device types, that's it isnt it?

FINALLY! Microsoft's persistent "one size fits all" mentality makes absolutely no sense at all. And until they get out of that mindset, each subsequent OS release will continue to be a total flop.

Note the version numbers: 8 to 8.1
Not 8 to 9.
You obviously don't have any faith in what I say. But I digress...
Please give me a link where it's confirmed by Microsoft.
http://www.hngn.com/articles/43970/...-s-footsteps-makes-windows-9-upgrade-free.htm
This is just one of the articles released shortly after Microsoft did their own event for Win 10.

However, we already knew about this about a year to six months ago, when Microsoft held an event shortly after Apple's own event. Microsoft said all updates after 8.1 is free. 8.1 was pretty much a test to show consumers how upgrades will be go.

And then, Apple fired back at Microsoft with their own announcement:
http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/22/ap...indows-8-1-footsteps-makes-os-x-updates-free/

Last edited:
Although I agree there has been rumours, and although I agree it is possible they could release the next version of Windows for free, it would be incorrect to keep asserting that it has "been confirmed" until it has been confirmed.

I don't particularly rate an article that was written actually before the Windows 10 announcement. Even if it were written after, it is referring to the product as Windows 9 which is incorrect.

Until it is confirmed by an official source, at an official outlet, e.g. here: http://blogs.microsoft.com/ it isn't official or hasn't been confirmed.

Fine. When it does come, I'm going to go say "I told you so."

This information is already out there, you're just too afraid to take anything in.

I'm not at all disputing that it could be possible. I'm not saying the rumours so far are definitely incorrect. I'm just saying, it's not official or confirmed until that information has come first hand from Microsoft.

You won't be able to say "I told you so" because you're basically recalling an article that might be right or it might be wrong and none of us have any idea whether it is right or wrong. If it does come out free, great the rumours we have read have been correct. If it is a paid product, I won't be saying "I told you so" because a) that'd be rude and b) I'm not telling you anything other than it's a rumor and no one really knows better right now.

You won't be able to say "I told you so" because you're basically recalling an article that might be right or it might be wrong and none of us have any idea whether it is right or wrong. If it does come out free, great the rumours we have read have been correct. If it is a paid product, I won't be saying "I told you so" because a) that'd be rude and b) I'm not telling you anything other than it's a rumor and no one really knows better right now.
No, these articles were written straight from the events. So, that's as close a confirmation you can get - if there's no announcement on Microsoft's site. Let me put it this way, Sony just shipped a new model of PS4, and is currently in stores. But did Sony make an announcement about it? No, because by that time, the news is common knowledge.

Top Bottom