Will XenForo work on other web server software?

ChrisR

Hello,

With the rewrite rules and all will xenforo work on other web server software like nginx, lighttpd etc..?

Also if you do not use the rewire rule what will the urls look like?

If the web server plays nice with PHP5 and MySQL5, it should not be a problem.
If the web server supports rewrite rules, then I don't know why not.

I don't think it will to be honest... because I am not sure anyone has developed XenForo yet...

However if we are talking about xenForo ;) then yes I am sure 100% that it will support other webservers... as long as you have the respective rewrite module installed on that webserver then it won't be a problem... it won't be the same .htaccess file they will need to create a different rewrite rule set for each server type but as it is simple a catch all there shouldn't be any problems because PHP deals with all the hard work.

Are there any specific functions in xenforo that would assume the software is running on a *nix based system. Meaning, if somebody tried installing this on Windows/IIS, would there be any gotchas to know about?

Just curious. It just seems a lot of new PHP projects seem to get bitten by some Windows / Apache / SAPI incompatibilty or something like that.

Only thing that really seems to change on Windows based systems is paths, and some API's... I doubt there being any real incompatibility and if there are I am sure these will be found and fixed in a beta period...

It runs on Windows without a problem. While I haven't explicitly tested with IIS, I don't see why it wouldn't work there, especially as IIS now has a FastCGI interface (which is the recommended SAPI for PHP).

Top Bottom