1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will XenForo work on other web server software?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by ChrisR, Aug 23, 2010.

1. ChrisR

ChrisR Active Member

Hello,

With the rewrite rules and all will xenforo work on other web server software like nginx, lighttpd etc..?

Also if you do not use the rewire rule what will the urls look like?

2. mlx

mlx Well-Known Member

Lighty and nginx both have their own rewrite module. So why wouldn't it work?

3. ChrisR

ChrisR Active Member

Well i have not looked into it but i am thinking about going nginx. but i was told that some rewrite rules are not the same as apache's.

4. mlx

mlx Well-Known Member

Yes, it's different. But that doesn't mean you cannot customize the rewrite rules to make them work with Lighty or nginx.

5. Floris

Floris Guest

If the web server plays nice with PHP5 and MySQL5, it should not be a problem.
    If the web server supports rewrite rules, then I don't know why not.

6. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

They are very easy to port, and nginx is overall a joy to configure compared to Apache (or any other webserver I've tried)

7. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

I don't think it will to be honest... because I am not sure anyone has developed XenForo yet...

However if we are talking about xenForo ;) then yes I am sure 100% that it will support other webservers... as long as you have the respective rewrite module installed on that webserver then it won't be a problem... it won't be the same .htaccess file they will need to create a different rewrite rule set for each server type but as it is simple a catch all there shouldn't be any problems because PHP deals with all the hard work.

8. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

On top of that, you don't even need rewriting to run XenForo.

9. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Huh... I thought you did... :S... or did Kier show an example where maybe the url's are all... index.php?u=threads/will-xenforo-work-on-other-web-server-software.2639/

10. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

11. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

12. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

13. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

The URL I posted does not use rewriting.

14. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Doh... I see it now...

/me goes to drink more coffee... thank you for pointing that out to me Kier... :D...

15. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

Are there any specific functions in xenforo that would assume the software is running on a *nix based system. Meaning, if somebody tried installing this on Windows/IIS, would there be any gotchas to know about?

Just curious. It just seems a lot of new PHP projects seem to get bitten by some Windows / Apache / SAPI incompatibilty or something like that.

16. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Only thing that really seems to change on Windows based systems is paths, and some API's... I doubt there being any real incompatibility and if there are I am sure these will be found and fixed in a beta period...

17. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Im pretty sure it will.

18. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It runs on Windows without a problem. While I haven't explicitly tested with IIS, I don't see why it wouldn't work there, especially as IIS now has a FastCGI interface (which is the recommended SAPI for PHP).