Will CSS3 browser-implementations be removed?

Shamil

Right now in the CSS, I am seeing horrible things, such as:

Code:
border-radius: 5px; -webkit-border-radius: 5px; -moz-border-radius: 5px; -khtml-border-radius: 5px;

Will they be removed, and standardised to

Code:
border-radius: 5px;

soon?

I just like standards and non-proprietory implementations.

If you remove these then you will stop them working in some browsers... IE FF still doesn't just accept border-radius: only -moz-border-radius:... So you want your site to look awful in FF just because you don't want a few extra chars in your style...

Once all browsers support the standards, then we can change but until then there is no option.

I would say they will stay until firefox and webkit browsers offer the standard css3 methods.

Firefox is the only one (as well as the K) to not have at least most CSS3 methods implemented.

Explain to me why it is horrible, and why it should be removed, and why it is annoying?

It creates more bytes, and I am adversed to more unused rubbish in files, making them larger.

Browser-specific hacks aren't horrible or annoying... they allow us to use CSS3 when it's not globally available.

The browser-specific hacks will be removed when all browsers (minus Chrome, Chrome renders border-radius, or it used to at least) allow the standard border-radius attributes...

@vrtsolus, think of it this way, would you rather:
Have browser-specific hacks for rounded corners which make the design more elegant
Have to use images to get the rounded corner effect
Have no rounded corners whatsoever?

If you remove these then you will stop them working in some browsers... IE FF still doesn't just accept border-radius: only -moz-border-radius:... So you want your site to look awful in FF just because you don't want a few extra chars in your style...

Once all browsers support the standards, then we can change but until then there is no option.

IE 9 does work with border-radius, there's no use trying for IE8, no CSS3 border-radius will work.

The -webkit ones can be removed. webkit supports CSS3's border-radius at least.

Firefox is the only one (as well as the K) to not have at least most CSS3 methods implemented.
Safari. Konqueror. Others.

It creates more bytes, and I am adversed to more unused rubbish in files, making them larger.
You are welcome to alter the CSS renderer to output only 'border-radius'. And then you can field the questions as to 'Why does my browser, which can do rounded corners, not render the rounded corners on this site?'

IE 9 does work with border-radius, there's no use trying for IE8, no CSS3 border-radius will work.

The -webkit ones can be removed. webkit supports CSS3's border-radius at least.
Only the latest versions though... You would be killing backwards comparability by removing it... When I said IE FF... I wasn't saying Internet Explorer Firefox.... I was saying In Example (IE) FireFox (FF)...

Safari. Konqueror. Others.

You are welcome to alter the CSS renderer to output only 'border-radius'. And then you can field the questions as to 'Why does my browser, which can do rounded corners, not render the rounded corners on this site?'

Safari definately supports it. I've never used Konqueror, so that's acceptable. The only major (of the three) not to support it is FireFox. I assume support for this is coming very soon.

Top Bottom