1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will CSS3 browser-implementations be removed?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Shamil, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Right now in the CSS, I am seeing horrible things, such as:

border-radius: 5px; -webkit-border-radius: 5px; -moz-border-radius: 5px; -khtml-border-radius: 5px;
    Will they be removed, and standardised to

border-radius: 5px;

I just like standards and non-proprietory implementations.
  2. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

They will at some point I would assume, it's annoying at the moment :D
  3. ChrisR

ChrisR Active Member

I would say they will stay until firefox and webkit browsers offer the standard css3 methods.
  4. Floris

Floris Guest

Explain to me why it is horrible, and why it should be removed, and why it is annoying?
    Shelley and Been Told like this.
  5. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

When most browsers switch over to CSS3 fully and plenty people upgraded then i guess they will.
  6. Disjunto

Cause I have to write the same thing 4x over. Waste of space :D
  7. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

If you want backwards compatibility for those on older browsers, it is still necessary, though :)
  8. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

All the templates contain is 'border-radius'.

The CSS renderer translates that into the long string with browser support.
  9. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

If you remove these then you will stop them working in some browsers... IE FF still doesn't just accept border-radius: only -moz-border-radius:... So you want your site to look awful in FF just because you don't want a few extra chars in your style...

Once all browsers support the standards, then we can change but until then there is no option.
  10. Disjunto

and that is also annoying :D
    mrGTB and jmurrayhead like this.
  11. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Firefox is the only one (as well as the K) to not have at least most CSS3 methods implemented.

It creates more bytes, and I am adversed to more unused rubbish in files, making them larger.
  12. James

James Well-Known Member

Browser-specific hacks aren't horrible or annoying... they allow us to use CSS3 when it's not globally available.

The browser-specific hacks will be removed when all browsers (minus Chrome, Chrome renders border-radius, or it used to at least) allow the standard border-radius attributes...

@vrtsolus, think of it this way, would you rather:
    Have browser-specific hacks for rounded corners which make the design more elegant
    Have to use images to get the rounded corner effect
    Have no rounded corners whatsoever?
    Shelley and Kier like this.
  13. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

14. Disjunto

genius!! :D
  15. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Great method to use :D... I like it...
  16. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

IE 9 does work with border-radius, there's no use trying for IE8, no CSS3 border-radius will work.

The -webkit ones can be removed. webkit supports CSS3's border-radius at least.
  17. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Yep, and I'm liking that. That's what I assume will be left once most browsers support it right?
  18. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Safari. Konqueror. Others.

You are welcome to alter the CSS renderer to output only 'border-radius'. And then you can field the questions as to 'Why does my browser, which can do rounded corners, not render the rounded corners on this site?'
    Been Told likes this.
  19. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Only the latest versions though... You would be killing backwards comparability by removing it... When I said IE FF... I wasn't saying Internet Explorer Firefox.... I was saying In Example (IE) FireFox (FF)...
  20. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Safari definately supports it. I've never used Konqueror, so that's acceptable. The only major (of the three) not to support it is FireFox. I assume support for this is coming very soon.