Will CSS3 browser-implementations be removed?

Shamil

Right now in the CSS, I am seeing horrible things, such as:

Code:
border-radius: 5px; -webkit-border-radius: 5px; -moz-border-radius: 5px; -khtml-border-radius: 5px;

Will they be removed, and standardised to

Code:
border-radius: 5px;

soon?

I just like standards and non-proprietory implementations.

Only the latest versions though... You would be killing backwards comparability by removing it... When I said IE FF... I wasn't saying Internet Explorer Firefox.... I was saying In Example (IE) FireFox (FF)...

Well, IE 9 is still in Alpha, so I support that's starting up.

Just out of interest, how many people don't upgrade to the latest browser? (Apart froma few Mac users)

Just out of interest, how many people don't upgrade to the latest browser? (Apart froma few Mac users)
Well most companies and schools don't as it's a major undertaking. Most of the people here own their own personal computer and can upgrade whenever they like.

Ask that question to people still running IE6 :P A later browser might be buggy... look at how many people downgraded from IE8, look at how many people didn't upgrade to vB4 8-)

Firefox is the only one (as well as the K) to not have at least most CSS3 methods implemented.
I am not to sure but last time i used safari i had to use the -webkit- not to sure now with the latest version.

All the templates contain is 'border-radius'.

Also on this topic you can not do away with the proprietary methods because then the older version of the browser will not show the radius etc.

[15:18] Floris ./css.php -strip:css3 xf_css_rendered_with_css3.css
[15:18] Floris output: xf_css_rendered_without_css3.css
[15:18] Floris ls -all xf_*.css
[15:18] Floris -rw-r--r--@ 1 Floris admin 81421 Aug 11 15:12 xf_css_rendered_with_css3.css
[15:18] Floris -rw-r--r--@ 1 Floris admin 73040 Aug 11 15:16 xf_css_rendered_without_css3.css

Ask that question to people still running IE6 :p A later browser might be buggy... look at how many people downgraded from IE8, look at how many people didn't upgrade to vB4 :cool:

I am currently eating the people/businesses still using IE 6. It's a pie that's not getting any smaller. I can't think of anyone who's downgraded from IE8, who has upgraded again.

my css.php actually defines browser versions from an array, so the code you throw at it spits out for that particular user a cached version specific for their browser, split between outdated/modern.
However, the processing power needed for stripping or adding css3 to existing template simply is more than 8000 bytes and way more in time.

I understand your points vrtsolus, but let's work out out here:
-moz-, -webkit-, -k- = 16 chars.
16 characters extra (assuming all of these are in a class of rounded/border/etc and are only actually written in the CSS once) for backward compatibility of rounded corners for older versions of the standards-compliant browser? I can't complain.

You're probably going to hate that we also do it for box-shadow, box-sizing and all the individual corner versions of border-radius (border-top-left-radius etc.)

I understand your points vrtsolus, but let's work out out here:
-moz-, -webkit-, -k- = 16 chars.
16 characters extra (assuming all of these are in a class of rounded/border/etc and are only actually written in the CSS once) for backward compatibility of rounded corners for older versions of the standards-compliant browser? I can't complain.

Well no, instead of
Code:
You have
Code:
border-radius: 5px; -webkit-border-radius: 5px; -moz-border-radius: 5px; -khtml-border-radius: 5px;

Which is a few more than 16 characters ;)

You're probably going to hate that we also do it for box-shadow, box-sizing and all the individual corner versions of border-radius (border-top-left-radius etc.)
I'm glad to hear it. I'm willing to sacrifice a few bytes for aesthetics, especially if the aesthetics will keep me in the user's good books and get some new traffic! I've used CSS3 for a long time and it shows that this software is more innovative IMO.

Well no, instead of
Code:
You have
Code:

Which is a few more than 16 characters ;)
errr..... I'm tired 'kayy? :( haha. Completely forgot about the values for the attributes... 8-)

Top Bottom