Which iPhone 6 will you buy?

• iPhone 6 (4.7 inches)

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • iPhone 6 Plus (5.5 inches)

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters
It sucks that your phone was stolen. But I have to ask:

1 - Find my phone should tell you exactly where it is, even if it's been wiped
2 - You can brick the phone from iCloud, making it useless to the ******* who stole it.

Also the second the person stepped into an area with signal, it'd have started syncing everything assuming you have it turned on.

Your ideas are excellent.

1. I've been checking Find my phone daily. It only shows the phone is offline.
2. I know it can be wiped but couldn't they just hook it up to iTunes and move along? I'm not clear on how that would brick it. Guess I'm going to try that in a moment ...

The information was time sensitive but fortunately the students recontacted me - or I was able to piece things together. If something fell through then ... sigh.

Your ideas are excellent.

1. I've been checking Find my phone daily. It only shows the phone is offline.
2. I know it can be wiped but couldn't they just hook it up to iTunes and move along? I'm not clear on how that would brick it. Guess I'm going to try that in a moment ...

The information was time sensitive but fortunately the students recontacted me - or I was able to piece things together. If something fell through then ... sigh.
It is conditional that you were using a later version of iOS where you could not disable find my iphone or remove the account. If you were running an older version, you're pretty much screwed.

Picked up the iPhone 6 yesterday after being Android for years and not entirely sure how I'm liking it. It feels like it hasn't evolved much from the iphone I had 5 or some years ago. The app store is comparable to browsing craigs list, well looks wise :D. I have 14 days to decide if I want to keep it or not so I'll give it little longer as I think I'm still in shock mode.

Picked up the iPhone 6 yesterday after being Android for years and not entirely sure how I'm liking it. It feels like it hasn't evolved much from the iphone I had 5 or some years ago. The app store is comparable to browsing craigs list, well looks wise :D. I have 14 days to decide if I want to keep it or not so I'll give it little longer as I think I'm still in shock mode.
I agree - coming from the 5, the 6 just didn't feel all that different. The size didn't take anywhere near as long to get used to, but it was a lot more of a "meh, just another iPhone" kind of feeling.

Hopefully by the time we get to the iPhone 7 they'll actually do something new. Seeing iOS given a couple of tweaks, and another handful of undeletable Apps isn't going to cut it much longer.

On the plus side, the iPhone 5's still extremely valuable and recovered a nice chunk of the cost of the iPhone 6 :D

It's a sign to come back to Android :)

Updated to iOS 8 just the previous day or two :)
If you had Find My iPhone turned on, then it's already bricked. Nobody else will be able to use the device. They need your Apple ID and password to turn off Find My iPhone or to erase it. Connecting to iTunes is also useless as you need to enter your Apple ID/password before iTunes will do a reset/restore.

If you don't have a PIN for unlocking, then they could "use" your iPhone and look at your data, but the phone can't be resold and activated for another user. And if they did use it, then you could erase it as it would be online.

I agree - coming from the 5, the 6 just didn't feel all that different. The size didn't take anywhere near as long to get used to, but it was a lot more of a "meh, just another iPhone" kind of feeling.

Hopefully by the time we get to the iPhone 7 they'll actually do something new. Seeing iOS given a couple of tweaks, and another handful of undeletable Apps isn't going to cut it much longer.

Do you use a Windows PC? I've been building gaming rigs for years, and every time I build a new PC it's still the same as all the others. Still runs Windows, which outside of Windows 8 hasn't changed much at all the last 10 years. Same desktop, start menu, task bar, same commands on your menu bar and so on.

Sure my machine has a faster CPU & GPU and has more memory and storage, but it doesn't actually do anything new that my previous machines couldn't, except it's faster.

Or would you prefer Apple goes the Samsung route by adding 101 new features (most of which are gimmicks that never get used) just so they can make it appear their new phone is a big upgrade from the last one?

Do you use a Windows PC? I've been building gaming rigs for years, and every time I build a new PC it's still the same as all the others. Still runs Windows, which outside of Windows 8 hasn't changed much at all the last 10 years. Same desktop, start menu, task bar, same commands on your menu bar and so on.

Sure my machine has a faster CPU & GPU and has more memory and storage, but it doesn't actually do anything new that my previous machines couldn't, except it's faster.

Or would you prefer Apple goes the Samsung route by adding 101 new features (most of which are gimmicks that never get used) just so they can make it appear their new phone is a big upgrade from the last one?

Nope, My last PC build was 2006. In 2007 I moved over to Mac's and never looked back :) They still have the same issue as Windows most of the time - you buy a speed boost, not new features most of the time it seems.

Although they've had a few really, really decent things over the last few years. Things like Thunderbolt and HiDPI displays on the MBP's are great.

In a way though, when you think about it it makes perfect sense to keep the OS / Software in Windows and OS X as consistent as possible. Windows 8 became a prime example. By removing something as simple as the start button, they pissed off so many people, that the next major OS version reverses that change. People like consistency :)

The initial hatred for iOS7 was another example. The change was too much in one go IMO.

I was unsure at first. It did cross my mind once or twice whether or not I had purchased the correct one. But when you've gone from a 4 inch screen (iPhone 5s) to a 5.5 inch screen it does take some adjusting to. As time has gone on, I've found it a joy to use.

I disconnected its charger 14 hours ago and have used it as much as I normally would and I have 60% battery left. The battery in it is phenomenal.

I have only two gripes and they will affect the iPhone 6 and other devices to a certain extent too.

I said it before, I'll say it again, I think iOS 8 is by far the most buggy version of iOS to date. I have been using it since iPhone OS 2 and the quality just isn't there. I have experienced far too many app crashes, and quirks. Some pretty dumb bugs including the file upload one which is now fixed and the big problems with selecting text in Safari. It just doesn't feel ready and I hope they enable more thorough testing in the future with public pre-releases.

Aside from that, something more iPhone 6/+ specific is currently a lot of the apps I use have not been updated to be iPhone 6/+ compatible yet. This will just take time though.

Hardware wise, though, yeah I love it.

I went back and used my iPhone 5 for a split second and my god it was so weird to use. The screen seems so... small. It seemed rather... perfect before.

Aside from that, something more iPhone 6/+ specific is currently a lot of the apps I use have not been updated to be iPhone 6/+ compatible yet. This will just take time though.
Thanks for that.
I'm ready to buy it but will wait till Christmas.

Top Bottom