Which iPhone 6 will you get?

Which iPhone 6 will you buy?

• iPhone 6 (4.7 inches)

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • iPhone 6 Plus (5.5 inches)

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters
Not sure why people even consider getting an iPhone 6/6+ when there are Android phones available that are far superior for less money. I got myself a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and it's nearly perfect in any way, top-notch hardware with a screen size that's just right.

The new 6 looks really nice but I am an android guy so my next phone will certainly not be an iphone. I mean they are great devices but IOS is really boring and has been for several years, and you can't do much with it.

The new 6 looks really nice but I am an android guy so my next phone will certainly not be an iphone. I mean they are great devices but IOS is really boring and has been for several years, and you can't do much with it.

My life (and a few others) was ruined last week when a student of mine stole my iPhone 5s. Notes, schedules, and more not yet synched to my iMac, MacBook Air, and iPad were not complete because the school does not have good AT&T connection.

The cost? Six students from my previous school had asked for letters of recommendations. The notes were gone - forever. Three students have since re-contacted me and I made the deadline for them by a few hours. The others were out of luck - 10k scholarships for three kids - gone because someone "had to have" my iPhone.

So - I respectfully disagree. My iPhone was vital to me and to my students. Worse, AT&T says my replacement will not arrive until the middle of November. The older iPhone 4 doesn't connect to my bluetooth in the car I use to commute.

The cost? 5 hours of downtime each day as I drive.

Those are two examples. I can probably list dozens more of incidents this past week ruined because my phone is gone.

My life (and a few others) was ruined last week when a student of mine stole my iPhone 5s. Notes, schedules, and more not yet synched to my iMac, MacBook Air, and iPad were not complete because the school does not have good AT&T connection.

The cost? Six students from my previous school had asked for letters of recommendations. The notes were gone - forever. Three students have since re-contacted me and I made the deadline for them by a few hours. The others were out of luck - 10k scholarships for three kids - gone because someone "had to have" my iPhone.

So - I respectfully disagree. My iPhone was vital to me and to my students. Worse, AT&T says my replacement will not arrive until the middle of November. The older iPhone 4 doesn't connect to my bluetooth in the car I use to commute.

Those are two examples. I can probably list dozens more of incidents this past week ruined because my phone is gone.

Too bad find my iphone isn't going to help.

It sucks that your phone was stolen. But I have to ask:

1 - Find my phone should tell you exactly where it is, even if it's been wiped
2 - You can brick the phone from iCloud, making it useless to the ******* who stole it.

Also the second the person stepped into an area with signal, it'd have started syncing everything assuming you have it turned on.

Not sure why people even consider getting an iPhone 6/6+ when there are Android phones available that are far superior for less money. I got myself a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and it's nearly perfect in any way, top-notch hardware with a screen size that's just right.

Superior is a subjective term. And you can't talk about the hardware without including the OS that runs on it. My kids use iOS devices as they are both big into music/recording. Android simply can't perform this function, so for my kids it's useless.

At work we use iOS exclusively simply because iOS is way ahead of Android for features used in enterprise/corporate environments. If you use Samsung, you could run KNOX (which on paper looks really good, but in the real world has been a failure). Look at IBM for example. Which mobile company did they partner with for their enterprise offerings? It wasn't Google or Microsoft, but Apple/iOS.

In these two areas alone iOS is far superior to Android. Now there may be things you like about Android that make it superior for your needs, but you can't make a blanket statement that one is better than the other.

My kids use iOS devices as they are both big into music/recording. Android simply can't perform this function, so for my kids it's useless.
Not sure what exact function you are talking about, but you can record music with Android. There are plenty of apps available for this.

I've never really wanted an iPhone, overpriced junk in my opinion, but most my friends have it and I wouldn't mind imessage and facetime so I might get the 6 Plus after Apple addresses their bending issues, as well as their privacy issues too. iCloud forcefully stores too much information on you, not like Google don't have a reputation for that too.

Can't stand small devices. 6 Plus if anything, I have a big hand and I need quite a lot of space.

Not sure what exact function you are talking about, but you can record music with Android. There are plenty of apps available for this.

While people can argue back and forth whether some feature is better on iOS or Android, you can't argue about audio/music production. iOS is light years ahead of Android due to the fact Google hasn't bothered to add the features/API's required for audio production.

Audio Evolution Mobile is widely considered the best DAW (digital audio workstation) on Android and yet it's severely limited. It only works on certain devices and they had to write their own USB audio driver to allow external USB audio interfaces to be connected. This means any App developer has to code their own support for devices, which is a huge waste of time. If I invest in an interface, how can I be assured it will work with any audio App I might want to use? iOS has native support for USB Audio which means I can connect any compliant device and it will work. Same thing for MIDI devices like keyboards/controllers.

On iOS I can have a synthesizer App as my audio source being played from an external MIDI keyboard, route the audio from that synthesizer to an effects App and then take the audio from that and route it to my DAW App for recording. To make it even more complex, my DAW could have MIDI out which is then patched "virtually" to that same synthesizer App which play the music according to the MIDI data, and then take the audio result and route it as before to be recorded back into the DAW that's providing the MIDI in the first place.

This is simply not possible on Android as there's no ability to easily route data such as MIDI or audio from one App to another, especially if you want to keep latency low enough so the end result is actually usable. A lot of the App developers that create audio production software have been after Google for several years now to make the necessary changes to Android so they can port their Apps over. But Google just doesn't seem interested in doing anything about it. There have been a few side projects (including one by a Google developer in his spare time) but none of them have really gone anywhere.

The bottom line is I don't think Google has any interest at all in this market and have basically conceded it to Apple.

I've never really wanted an iPhone, overpriced junk in my opinion, but most my friends have it and I wouldn't mind imessage and facetime so I might get the 6 Plus after Apple addresses their bending issues, as well as their privacy issues too. iCloud forcefully stores too much information on you, not like Google don't have a reputation for that too.

Can't stand small devices. 6 Plus if anything, I have a big hand and I need quite a lot of space.
I recommend re-reviewing your views on iCloud. It stores nothing you don't ask it too and even then only stores the essentials. Don't want it knowing your contacts? No problem, untick a box and it's done. It doesn't incisively affect the OS in any way and can be completely disabled too.

Privacy wise I'd be happier with my data on iCloud than in Googles hands. I don't wish to e someone's product.

People still seriously don't understand Apple. That hefty price pays for a hell of a lot more than just a fancy looking phone.

I recommend re-reviewing your views on iCloud. It stores nothing you don't ask it too and even then only stores the essentials. Don't want it knowing your contacts? No problem, untick a box and it's done. It doesn't incisively affect the OS in any way and can be completely disabled too.

Privacy wise I'd be happier with my data on iCloud than in Googles hands. I don't wish to e someone's product.

People still seriously don't understand Apple. That hefty price pays for a hell of a lot more than just a fancy looking phone.
That's because there is nothing to understand. Macbook for example, what's a good reason for buying it other than the software available and their $25 OS. iPhones, they're for looking good, showing off when girls take selfies and facetime & imessage is a plus.

That's because there is nothing to understand. Macbook for example, what's a good reason for buying it other than the software available and their $25 OS. iPhones, they're for looking good, showing off when girls take selfies and facetime & imessage is a plus.
See, you illustrate my point.

The OS isn't $25. It's free. Why is it free? Because you've already paid for it in the cost of the hardware.

As part of buying a mac you get the following for the lifetime of the machine (and remember, macs last A HELL OF A LOT LONGER than Windows machines. There's still people using ~8 year old PowerPC mac's which are still as fast as the day they got them.

- The OS, plus all future versions
- iWork Office Suite
- GarageBand
- iMovie
- iPhoto

Now, obviously you'll likely not use all of those (Heck I never touch iWork, GarageBand or iMovie) but they are free for life. The OS alone is worth the switch. It's really not "just software".

Take a look at OS X performance. It's YEARS ahead of Windows in so many ways. The reason it's so stable is because unlike Windows, OS X only has to work on a fixed number of hardware devices. So it means they don't need to fill the OS will all sorts of extra libraries and compatibility layers to make the OS function on different motherboards and such.

In contrast when you look at the structure of the Windows OS, it's immensely bloated. Open up your system folder and take a good look at those DLL's. Those damn libraries get loaded into memory every time your OS starts up.

When you buy a Windows computer, you expect a maximum life of 3-5 years. Mac's have shown that because of the superior filesystem (seriously, do some Googling. The Mac OS filesystem really does crap all over NTFS and exFat, big time) you don't get these crappy "disk defrag" situations, or system slowdowns due to issues with file storage. You don't get the OS building up bloat in it's memory usage due to old programs leaving junk behind, and you don't have a registry - which in laymans terms is like running a massive site off of a single MySQL database, it's going to cause locks and lag). Now, you can do a few things to 'fix' Window's flawed design. But you shouldn't have to piss around with system files just to make your computer work.

You know something's very wrong with the OS when on the same hardware, OS X was able to get 14 hours battery life, whilst Windows got 6.

Next you've got security. I'm not even going there. Windows is crap at security, and OS X is extremely good at it.

Then there's the OS 'ease of use'. When I first used a mac, I hated it. Why the hell was there this 'Option' and 'CMD' set of keys. Where's my start menu, etc. The fact is, if you've used a Mac for less than 60 days, you know absolutely bugger all about them and can't form a fair opinion on the OS. After 60 days my productivity was HUGELY increased.

- Multiple reviews in PC magazines do agree that overall, OS X is a lot easier to use.
- In addition, these same reviews do concede that OS X is far, far more stable than Windows

What's also interesting. Windows works better on a Mac. Seriously, all the Windows benchmarks tested on Macbook Pro's and iMac's show that Windows works very, very well on Mac's. Way better than on most store-bought PC's.

Please, please, please research. Most of the things people believe about macs are complete nonsense carried over from the old Power PC processor days (When they were arguably a lot slower and a lot more limited).

- Macs can play games, and very well. In the odd occasion where a Windows game/app wont work on a Mac with Cider, Wine or Crossover, you can boot into Bootcamp or use Parallels/VMWare. It's really not this slow, half arsed integration that people unfamiliar with macs believe.

- Mac's genuinely are more secure, and a lot more stable and have been for years.

- The hardware is amazingly well refined. Seriously, I challenge anyone to find a PC with the same build quality and attention to detail as a Mac.

Finally I just want to cover one last thing.

SUPPORT.

You bought a PC from, I don't know PC World (equivalent to Best Buy if you're in the US). ~18 months after buying, something goes wrong. Your screen's not working.

You phone up the premium rate number for the store's technical support, to be told either:

A) You need to contact the manufacturer
B) You need to bring it in to our store
C) We cant help you, it's out of warranty.

Now lets imagine that same situation with a mac. Your response would be:

Would you like to:
A) Bring it in to your local store or local Apple repair center for a free repair or replacement
B) We can come and collect it from you any day of the week, and cover all costs.

That right there is enough for me. My first iMac back in 2007 developed a HDD failure in 2009 - I was a year out of warranty.

Phoned up Apple support, and they said it was out of warranty, but if I took it into my local store they may be able to help or advise me how to replace it myself.

So I booked an appointment, took it in and explained. They ran a diagnostic on it, then the guy turned around and said "We can replace it for you now. We'll phone you in about 2 hours once it's done". Sure enough, 2 hours later they phoned, and it was ready.

Went to pick it up, and they'd upgraded it from a 500GB HDD to a 1TB HDD and gave me the old 500GB HDD so I could recover my data. They also gave me a copy of the latest OS (At the time it was $25 to buy).

I wasn't charged for a thing.

This wasn't a "rare" occurrence either. Read any reviews of Apple support and you'll see its a regular thing, and it's one of the reasons the machines are more expensive that a typical PC.

I sold that Mac in early 2010. It sold for 80% of the original cost price. Not bad for a 3 year old machine. There's no way a Dell or HP would hold it's value like that.

While people can argue back and forth whether some feature is better on iOS or Android, you can't argue about audio/music production. iOS is light years ahead of Android due to the fact Google hasn't bothered to add the features/API's required for audio production.

Audio Evolution Mobile is widely considered the best DAW (digital audio workstation) on Android and yet it's severely limited. It only works on certain devices and they had to write their own USB audio driver to allow external USB audio interfaces to be connected. This means any App developer has to code their own support for devices, which is a huge waste of time. If I invest in an interface, how can I be assured it will work with any audio App I might want to use? iOS has native support for USB Audio which means I can connect any compliant device and it will work. Same thing for MIDI devices like keyboards/controllers.

On iOS I can have a synthesizer App as my audio source being played from an external MIDI keyboard, route the audio from that synthesizer to an effects App and then take the audio from that and route it to my DAW App for recording. To make it even more complex, my DAW could have MIDI out which is then patched "virtually" to that same synthesizer App which play the music according to the MIDI data, and then take the audio result and route it as before to be recorded back into the DAW that's providing the MIDI in the first place.

This is simply not possible on Android as there's no ability to easily route data such as MIDI or audio from one App to another, especially if you want to keep latency low enough so the end result is actually usable. A lot of the App developers that create audio production software have been after Google for several years now to make the necessary changes to Android so they can port their Apps over. But Google just doesn't seem interested in doing anything about it. There have been a few side projects (including one by a Google developer in his spare time) but none of them have really gone anywhere.

The bottom line is I don't think Google has any interest at all in this market and have basically conceded it to Apple.
Well you can argue that you can always use a PC with dedicated hardware for professional audio recording instead of a cell phone.

It's free. Why is it free?
Updates aren't. It's $25 for updates usually, whilst Windows basically gives them free unless it's a completely new version. Not to mention OS X is nowhere near as good as Windows, usage clearly shows that.

last A HELL OF A LOT LONGER than Windows machines
That's quite an ignorant statement to make, I can get the parts a Mac uses, perhaps better, throw them together with good cooling (macs have **** cooling afaik), robust parts and install Windows onto it and I'm sure that'd last longer than any mac.

~8 year old PowerPC mac's which are still as fast as the day they got them
I have a working 8 year old PC, not sure what you mean. The technology 8 years ago means nothing now - fast 8 years ago is like riding a stationary Thomas the Tank Engine in your local supermarket, very slow in today's technology.

- iWork Office Suite
- GarageBand
- iMovie
- iPhoto
The OS, only two of them have been free. As for the rest of your software, Windows has a much bigger and better range of programs, because most people use a Windows PC.

You know something's very wrong with the OS when on the same hardware, OS X was able to get 14 hours battery life, whilst Windows got 6.
The big difference in hand is that Windows you can custom build your computers with a variety of parts. So that's extremely false. Macbooks are limited to the specs Apple offer (basically anyway), Windows is an operating system, not a computer type.

Next you've got security. I'm not even going there. Windows is crap at security, and OS X is extremely good at it.
Not sure what you mean, I'd probably say the opposite. And if you're talking about Apple's big claims for not having viruses, it's not immune. People just don't bother making OS X viruses when they can make Windows viruses, a majority of computers, oh and the fact that application development for OS X is significantly harder.

What's also interesting. Windows works better on a Mac. Seriously, all the Windows benchmarks tested on Macbook Pro's and iMac's show that Windows works very, very well on Mac's. Way better than on most store-bought PC's.
I'm not sure what you expect. Windows is for everyday tasks, and a lot of prebuilt computers you'd see in Walmart, Sainsburys etc are for everyday tasks, less than £500 I'd guess. They're budget computers. You don't see top end pcs nor macs sold in everyday stores. You really can't compare the stats on these.

Macs can play games, and very well. In the odd occasion where a Windows game/app wont work on a Mac with Cider, Wine or Crossover, you can boot into Bootcamp or use Parallels/VMWare. It's really not this slow, half arsed integration that people unfamiliar with macs believe.
I don't even want to start replying to this. You need to do some research yourself.

- Mac's genuinely are more secure, and a lot more stable and have been for years.
Same as above

- The hardware is amazingly well refined. Seriously, I challenge anyone to find a PC with the same build quality and attention to detail as a Mac.
Newegg should help you in your concerns.

Apple Genius Bar & Apple support are AMAZING. Microsoft probably makes all their money from their call rates, but **** Apple. Wow. I agree with your claim on customer support.

Well you can argue that you can always use a PC with dedicated hardware for professional audio recording instead of a cell phone.

See, you illustrate my point.

The OS isn't $25. It's free. Why is it free? Because you've already paid for it in the cost of the hardware.

As part of buying a mac you get the following for the lifetime of the machine (and remember, macs last A HELL OF A LOT LONGER than Windows machines. There's still people using ~8 year old PowerPC mac's which are still as fast as the day they got them.

- iWork Office Suite
- GarageBand
- iMovie
- iPhoto

Now, obviously you'll likely not use all of those (Heck I never touch iWork, GarageBand or iMovie) but they are free for life. The OS alone is worth the switch. It's really not "just software".

Take a look at OS X performance. It's YEARS ahead of Windows in so many ways. The reason it's so stable is because unlike Windows, OS X only has to work on a fixed number of hardware devices. So it means they don't need to fill the OS will all sorts of extra libraries and compatibility layers to make the OS function on different motherboards and such.

In contrast when you look at the structure of the Windows OS, it's immensely bloated. Open up your system folder and take a good look at those DLL's. Those damn libraries get loaded into memory every time your OS starts up.

When you buy a Windows computer, you expect a maximum life of 3-5 years. Mac's have shown that because of the superior filesystem (seriously, do some Googling. The Mac OS filesystem really does crap all over NTFS and exFat, big time) you don't get these crappy "disk defrag" situations, or system slowdowns due to issues with file storage. You don't get the OS building up bloat in it's memory usage due to old programs leaving junk behind, and you don't have a registry - which in laymans terms is like running a massive site off of a single MySQL database, it's going to cause locks and lag). Now, you can do a few things to 'fix' Window's flawed design. But you shouldn't have to piss around with system files just to make your computer work.

Then there's the OS 'ease of use'. When I first used a mac, I hated it. Why the hell was there this 'Option' and 'CMD' set of keys. Where's my start menu, etc. The fact is, if you've used a Mac for less than 60 days, you know absolutely bugger all about them and can't form a fair opinion on the OS. After 60 days my productivity was HUGELY increased.

- Multiple reviews in PC magazines do agree that overall, OS X is a lot easier to use.
- In addition, these same reviews do concede that OS X is far, far more stable than Windows

Please, please, please research. Most of the things people believe about macs are complete nonsense carried over from the old Power PC processor days (When they were arguably a lot slower and a lot more limited).

- Macs can play games, and very well. In the odd occasion where a Windows game/app wont work on a Mac with Cider, Wine or Crossover, you can boot into Bootcamp or use Parallels/VMWare. It's really not this slow, half arsed integration that people unfamiliar with macs believe.

Finally I just want to cover one last thing.

SUPPORT.

You bought a PC from, I don't know PC World (equivalent to Best Buy if you're in the US). ~18 months after buying, something goes wrong. Your screen's not working.

You phone up the premium rate number for the store's technical support, to be told either:

A) You need to contact the manufacturer
B) You need to bring it in to our store
C) We cant help you, it's out of warranty.

Now lets imagine that same situation with a mac. Your response would be:

Would you like to:
A) Bring it in to your local store or local Apple repair center for a free repair or replacement
B) We can come and collect it from you any day of the week, and cover all costs.

That right there is enough for me. My first iMac back in 2007 developed a HDD failure in 2009 - I was a year out of warranty.

Phoned up Apple support, and they said it was out of warranty, but if I took it into my local store they may be able to help or advise me how to replace it myself.

So I booked an appointment, took it in and explained. They ran a diagnostic on it, then the guy turned around and said "We can replace it for you now. We'll phone you in about 2 hours once it's done". Sure enough, 2 hours later they phoned, and it was ready.

Went to pick it up, and they'd upgraded it from a 500GB HDD to a 1TB HDD and gave me the old 500GB HDD so I could recover my data. They also gave me a copy of the latest OS (At the time it was $25 to buy).

I wasn't charged for a thing.

This wasn't a "rare" occurrence either. Read any reviews of Apple support and you'll see its a regular thing, and it's one of the reasons the machines are more expensive that a typical PC.

I sold that Mac in early 2010. It sold for 80% of the original cost price. Not bad for a 3 year old machine. There's no way a Dell or HP would hold it's value like that.

Updates aren't. It's $25 for updates usually, whilst Windows basically gives them free unless it's a completely new version. Not to mention OS X is nowhere near as good as Windows, usage clearly shows that.

That's quite an ignorant statement to make, I can get the parts a Mac uses, perhaps better, throw them together with good cooling (macs have **** cooling afaik), robust parts and install Windows onto it and I'm sure that'd last longer than any mac.

I have a working 8 year old PC, not sure what you mean. The technology 8 years ago means nothing now - fast 8 years ago is like riding a stationary Thomas the Tank Engine in your local supermarket, very slow in today's technology.

The OS, only two of them have been free. As for the rest of your software, Windows has a much bigger and better range of programs, because most people use a Windows PC.

The big difference in hand is that Windows you can custom build your computers with a variety of parts. So that's extremely false. Macbooks are limited to the specs Apple offer (basically anyway), Windows is an operating system, not a computer type.

Not sure what you mean, I'd probably say the opposite. And if you're talking about Apple's big claims for not having viruses, it's not immune. People just don't bother making OS X viruses when they can make Windows viruses, a majority of computers, oh and the fact that application development for OS X is significantly harder.

I'm not sure what you expect. Windows is for everyday tasks, and a lot of prebuilt computers you'd see in Walmart, Sainsburys etc are for everyday tasks, less than £500 I'd guess. They're budget computers. You don't see top end pcs nor macs sold in everyday stores. You really can't compare the stats on these.

I don't even want to start replying to this. You need to do some research yourself.

Same as above

Newegg should help you in your concerns.

Apple Genius Bar & Apple support are AMAZING. Microsoft probably makes all their money from their call rates, but **** Apple. Wow. I agree with your claim on customer support.

I think you all need to get a room at "This has Been Discussed a Billion Times Over Hotel and Suites" and leave this thread to iPhone 6 discussion. I'm tired of getting alerts for walls of text that mean nothing to me.

Top Bottom