what to do with members who's Email-address is bouncing ?

What triggered the 800 bounce back emails?

I just used that number as an example. I have a board that was started in 2006--long time ago by internet standards. I know from sending out email via mailchimp that about 25% of the addresses in my forum bounce. I'm thinking that as threads get updated and the "notifications emails" from those threads get sent, the forum will keep sending out email to bad addresses.

I just used that number as an example. I have a board that was started in 2006--long time ago by internet standards. I know from sending out email via mailchimp that about 25% of the addresses in my forum bounce. I'm thinking that as threads get updated and the "notifications emails" from those threads get sent, the forum will keep sending out email to bad addresses.

When using a program to send out emails to members, I exclude any members that have been inactive for over two years or more. This reduces bounce backs to a manageable on my forum.

Regarding notifications, I'm not certain, but I assume they are not sent to inactive members. I don't get bounce backs from inactive members on my forum which have been sent as notifications.

You can set their state to: Awaiting email confirmation (from edit).

That's what I do but now I found that people can't figure out how to fix it. What exactly do they have to do update it once they are in that group considering there are no usergroup settings for that group?

Perhaps it's because my site is so old and they just can't remember their login to fix it. But I had one recently who logged in and couldn't change anything. So perhaps I am missing something.

They need to update the email in their profile and then click on the confirmation link in the email they receive.

That's what I do but now I found that people can't figure out how to fix it. What exactly do they have to do update it once they are in that group considering there are no usergroup settings for that group?

Perhaps it's because my site is so old and they just can't remember their login to fix it. But I had one recently who logged in and couldn't change anything. So perhaps I am missing something.
You have to manually change it for them.

I like the idea of manually changing 25,500 e-mail addresses. Gives me a special challenge on a Sunday afternoon.

That's the spirit!

I just tried it again with my test account. Once the user state is Awaiting email confirmation (from edit), I could find no way for the user to edit the email address himself. All I could do was resend the confirmation email.

I like the idea of manually changing 25,500 e-mail addresses. Gives me a special challenge on a Sunday afternoon.
If you get that done in a Sunday afternoon then you are a true wizard. I know from experience that it takes a lot more days than that.

You have to manually change it for them.
I just tried it again with my test account. Once the user state is Awaiting email confirmation (from edit), I could find no way for the user to edit the email address himself. All I could do was resend the confirmation email.
This is incorrect.

After an administrator has changed an account to "Awaiting email confirmation (from edit)", all the member has to do is log in to their account and change their email address here: account/contact-details

That then automatically results in a confirmation email being sent to the new email address.
They simply click on the confirmation link in the email they receive at their new email address and their account status is automatically updated to Valid.

Capture.webp
This is incorrect.

After an administrator has changed an account to "Awaiting email confirmation (from edit)", all the member has to do is log in to their account and change their email address here: account/contact-details

That then automatically results in a confirmation email being sent to the new email address.
They simply click on the confirmation link in the email they receive at their new email address and their account status is automatically updated to Valid.

I just looked again. When a user is is in the awaiting from edit state, he does not have access to his contact details. It does not appear in the drop down under his name.

It doesn't work that way on my site. I would like to figure out why it works on some sites but not on mine. Running the latest version with no add-ons.

Just checked my other site running 1.1.4 and it works. But not on my site running 1.2.3

This is incorrect.

Thanks for the clarification @Brogan. So the only time they should have a problem is if they don't remember the login. Which explains why I had several old members sign up with new names eventually leading me to merge accounts. Why they don't use the contact form is beyond me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom