Killing off vanilla forum, what to do with redirect?

JanHoos

Hello everyone!

In August I switched over to Xenforo from a Vanilla forum. Unfortunatly I havent been able to wrap my head around redirecting the Vanilla content to the Xenforo topics. They have been imported, but use different id numbers.

Currently I have a lot of 404 errors (4000) in webmaster tools that I want to "fix". Right now my only solution is to kill off the Vanilla forum and send Google 410 reports. In my research this evening I encountered a report of someone on here, who said people where still finding the 404 links from his old forum several months or even years after his switch.

My question is; how do I set-up my .htaccess file? I want to tell google, that the url:
/forum/andeverythingfollowingit is dead and should be dead.

But I also want to let my users who may have /forum/ as a favorite to redirect that to /community/

Currently I'm running this:
Redirect /forum/ /community/

But as soon as you put something behind /forum/, that gets taken to /community/ and ends up presenting another missing page.

I'm hoping someone can help me with this conundrum! :)

fly

From my (limited) understanding of SEO, Google and friends figure this stuff out pretty quickly. Your only real issue will be saved and internal links from posts.

JanHoos

Thanks guys, I know I need a custom script. I gave up on linking the old content to the new forum.

I could use some help with a .htaccess code that tells google, everything related to mydomain.nl/forums/andeverythingthatgoeshere is gone

I tried one morning making it work, but could not manage. I only found codes that gave a 301 code instead of 410.

@fly Thats what I thought as well. In my quest to fix this I came across a few webmasters that said that the missing content was still linked in google for several months. When they used a 410 code they fixed it much faster.