1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do when the sidebar is too long?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by ForestForTrees, Jan 9, 2016.

1. ForestForTrees

ForestForTrees Well-Known Member

Having too many subforums is often listed as a classic mistake that new forums make (I get ten points for finding this link -- perhaps they are only stalker points, but that was a post that influenced me when I was just starting). So what do you do when your sidebar is longer than your forum list?

I really like @BamaStangGuy 's "who has visited in 24 hours" addon because it let's people know that their posts are read by people they know, but usually I modify it to show fewer people. The following image shows how it would look if I configured things the way I'd like to configure them rather than how they are configured on a day to day basis.

Thoughts? Would [bd] Widget Framework fix it?
  2. Nudaii

Nudaii Well-Known Member

use the wd widget block for "24 hours block" and set it to show under the forum list instead of the sidebar :)
  3. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

You could change the number showing in Members Online Recently (if it's the one from @BamaStangGuy) to show fewer members (the rest would appear in the View More link).
  4. ForestForTrees

ForestForTrees Well-Known Member

Awesome ideas. @Martok's idea is what I'm using so far, but @RRWS's is what I might switch to in the future as it will allow me to boost up some of the other widgets.