What happened to 'Whats New?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
So change the phrase back on your own installation if you don't like the change.

Eh, the misunderstanding what New Threads actually are is not new. By logic, New Threads are just, newly created unread threads, not read threads with new unread replies. "What's New" has a wider scope than New Threads, because it includes actual New Threads and Old threads with unread replies. So to summarize it:

New Threads = New Threads
What's New? = New Threads + Old Threads with unread replies.

I just want to mention something. The page it took you to has always been called New Threads (or Recent Threads for guests up until now). I'm amused how this never came up with that...

I just want to mention something. The page it took you to has always been called New Threads (or Recent Threads for guests up until now). I'm amused how this never came up with that...

Probably because none of us ever log out LOL

I can't deal with this.

The page is called New Threads. The URL is called New Threads. And the link to it is called New Threads.

This is just too much consistency.

lol 1.2 is released on XenForo - something we've been waiting so long for - and people are crying about the verbiage of "what's new/new threads".

Liking this new editor (y)

I'm not sure if this is simple enough:
Well Chris sometimes you have to really really simplify and clarify and simplify again in order to communicate. If another interpretation is possible people will find it (the later Wittgenstein) Unfortunately everyone else's brain doesn't work like yours. Awesome thought if they did!

But what if you are using a forum to hold articles in? New threads is sort of confusing. What's new was nice because it encompassed all types of content on the site. What's new was also more enticing for the user to click on.

But what if you are using a forum to hold articles in? New threads is sort of confusing. What's new was nice because it encompassed all types of content on the site. What's new was also more enticing for the user to click on.

Well, the url is find-new/id/threads so it's quite accurate! Articles shouldn't be a thread

Couldn't we make a compromise and rename it to "New Fred's" ? :D

Honestly though, the new title isn't even a biggie. Surprisingly, I'm adapting nicely to 1.2 Job well done. (y)

Afterwhich the need for a true "What's New?" will be needed as I don't have any desire to click on "New Threads" for threads and "New Articles" for articles, I'd rather have one page that shows it all.

The point is that you'll then lose all content specialization and you'll end up with recent activity or search results, in terms of the visual aspect. Nevermind likely losing things such as thread read tracking being accounted for, etc. And I dread to think the sort of reaction that would get.

Content-type aware pages don't have that limitation.

The point is that you'll then lose all content specialization and you'll end up with recent activity or search results, in terms of the visual aspect. And I dread to think the sort of reaction that would get.
Search Results => we're not able to use the search and get all results since yesterday or e.g. my last visit time
Error message =>
Please specify a search query or the name of a member.

News feed/Recent activity => a nice feature, but sucks ATM.. There's IMO too much information on the page
A mix from what's new and the recent activity page would be THE WINNER.

There are ~10 suggestions regarding this problem, so i'll stop with the offtopic here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom