What happened to 'Whats New?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
What we need is a "What's New" tab that goes to recent activity (which is now under the members tab). Right now it's too hard to find. If we could configure what to exclude from the list would be helpful as well. There's no need to have likes there as it pretty much clutters up the whole page. Or a way to separate out content types on a special what's new page would work.

Just shows how much I actually use that page. I'll just hide in a corner and put myself in a "learn the features" time out... lol

Just shows how much I actually use that page. I'll just hide in a corner and put myself in a "learn the features" time out... lol

Don't feel bad, King Kovifor, I would bet that only 1% of all Xenforo users know about that link.

Don't feel bad, King Kovifor, I would bet that only 1% of all Xenforo users know about that link.
I've always known about it but find it to be an overload of worthless information. Just checked my stats and from the looks of it the recent-activity/ page accounts for 0.32% of my unique pageviews while find-new/ account for over 31%....

I've always known about it but find it to be an overload of worthless information.

Yet that is what is being asked for.
As opposed to separate tabs for each content type - which is what is now possible in 1.2.

I far prefer the separate tabs.

I expect it won't be too long before developers start adding their own tabs for their own add-ons and even ones for core content such as profile posts, possibly even threads with polls, etc.

I've always known about it but find it to be an overload of worthless information. Just checked my stats and from the looks of it the recent-activity/ page accounts for 0.32% of my unique pageviews while find-new/ account for over 31%....

Thanks for the follow-up, DBA. Looks like my estimate was pretty darn close.

I agree with you, it's worthless information for me too. I think most forum users prefer simplicity over a bunch of clutter, IMHO.

The potential is each content type will have a separate tab.

View attachment 47641

I just want to note that if the page is called 'New Threads', but can contain more than just thread content due to add-ons being able to add their own tabs now, isn't that title inaccurate? If that page is now flexible enough to allow content aside from threads via tabs, wouldn't it be a better solution to now just make a new tab (aware from being a sub-item for the 'Forums' tab) for 'What's New' instead?

Well on the forum index it is New Threads but on other pages it has a different name.

On the gallery page for example it is called New Media.

I may even rename the phrase to New Content on each page view, which will make more sense I feel :)

It's separate pages; just there's a means of getting between them more easily. There was nothing in 1.1 preventing people from adding new "find new" type actions, though I don't think anyone did it other than the recent "new media" addition.

Actions should select the correct tab as necessary for their content.

Well on the forum index it is New Threads but on other pages it has a different name.

On the gallery page for example it is called New Media.

It's separate pages; just there's a means of getting between them more easily. There was nothing in 1.1 preventing people from adding new "find new" type actions, though I don't think anyone did it other than the recent "new media" addition.

Actions should select the correct tab as necessary for their content.

Thanks for the clarification then, sounds like something I'm already doing on my add-on and isn't that much different in 1.2. :)

There is so potential into addons or even expand to add Tabs to what's new... From Status Updates, New Topics (forum based tabs), and many others. Modders who did mods ignored such function, ah well.

So we could end up with six, eight, ten tabs all with their own sections of content.
Hidden behind tabs.
Horrors.
Plus one search is under Members, and others are under Forums, yet another is an obscure secondary text link on one of those search pages! Scatter!

I think what the USER wants is
- what's new (globally) - posts, threads, articles, blogs, wiki, pictures ie substantial content. that is RECENT STUFF - what's new man!
I think Likes, Tags don't come in here. They are interesting if you want to have a look at recent 'gossip' and you may want this on your own alerts, but they are otherwise clutter.

- what's new I've personally selected - stuff I'm watching, threads/ blogs I've posted to, or manually clicked to watch, including Watched forums.
This gives me a good update on my interest areas BUT it excludes new possibilities in my interest areas. So the third category is what's completely new, which should be linked off this page as well as on the tabs.

- what's completely new - that is new threads first post only, new Resources, new articles, new blogs. Here I can pick up on new items to add to my Watched list without being swamped by old threads that don't interest me being updated, as now.
Also opt out of certain node areas according to individual need, so they don't clutter.

WHAT WE HAVE​
NO global What's New. You have to understand all the categories and know where to go. there is no ALL search to show you the range of stuff, and what is genuinely the newest stuff.
On the secondary tabs under Forums:
New Threads - a mix of genuine new threads and additional posts updating them. There is no way to cull threads that don't interest me so they endlessly clog up this page. In fact once I follow my alerts so my most interesting threads are not \unread, most of this search is clutter. But I have to check it in order to get the genuine new threads.
Watched Threads - my chosen threads, but only if unread. I can opt to get alerts/ notifications on these. There is no link on this page to ALL my Watched Threads so it is easy to forget the ones which have been read if not read recently. Needs this link "All My Watched Threads" top right.
Watched Forums - my selected watched forums.
On the New threads page, top right text link:
All Recent Messages - A very useful list of all new posts which shows much more accurately what's going on because it's Unread as well as Read. Includes your own (not omitted due to you being classed as Read on it) so you can see where you are showing up - has your thread been pushed down the pagination for example? This interesting and complete list of posts read and unread, ONLY shows as an easily unseen text link top right on New Threads.
Under the Members tab, or top of New Threads:
Recent Activity - see members' actions like tagging each other, Liking each other, Profile posts, as well as forum activities of new threads, new posts, attachments. A fussy but surprisingly interesting browse at times especially when there's a hot situation going on. But it's placed obscurely and given two different names.
Under the Resources tab:
Resources (the tab itself) - Latest Resources which can have useful categories. But like New Threads there is no way to cull what doesn't interest me so unwanted clutter endlessly clogs up this page as it is updated with new versions.
New Resources - List of new Resources, but no way to cull unwanted Categories so plenty of clutter.
Watched resources - A welcome list of my selected resources. But I cannot just check this as I'd then miss the new incoming stuff.

So there are various shortcomings but lots of useful stuff if better organised.
Since we are to be stuck wuth the category tabs which make life easy for developers but are not so noticeable, or managable for users because they hide content - here's my plan which I'll do with Nodes As tabs.

MAIN TAB
RECENT! (New Threads) opens the main page of update searches. Also as a secondary under Forums. Also a button at end of breadcrumbs so it is top and bottom of almost all pages without scrolling back to top. Also on any sidebars anywhere. top and bottom.
A note on the page explains the list is Recent Unread -threads and posts.
As now, link on right to All Recent Messages.
"You may also see what members have been doing recently." change to "You can check Members Recent Activities!"
Tabs to categories of content, if addon, adds secondary link to main tab.
SECONDARY TABS:
All Recent Messages. All posts whether read or unread. Link on the RECENT page at top.
My Forum Posts - also found under my username dropdown.
Members' Recent Activities. Includes all the fussy bits!
My Watched Forums.
My Watched Threads. Add link top of page to All Recent Messages to expand view.
My Watched Resources.
New Resources.
All Resources. Main RM page.

Reactions: DRE
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom