What exactly does upgrading replace?

Trover

I have a bunch of edited templates on my xenforo 1.04, and I'm wondering how to go about upgrading to the newest version. So, what exactly does upgrading overwrite and replace?

pretty much every 'physical' file will be overwritten, so you may want to shift your custom style into its own directory to avoid your logo and whatnot being overwritten.
so far as template overwrites go, it varies from update to update. from 1.04 to 1.1b5 a boatload of templates have changed. the upside is that the templates arent overwritten as part of the update. instead, you are directed to 'revert' (overwrite) your outdated templates one by one after the update is complete. this affords you the opportunity to copy and paste an old template into a txt file before committing the overwrite.

One of the things I've done is move my custom CSS into .css files that are per plugin, or added to extra.css
And any customization that could be one via a hook, moved into a plugin.

This resulted in my custom theme being 2 one liner template edits instead of 49.

Upgrading now means I up the files, run upgrade, revert those templates and re-apply the one liner.
The plugins do the rest.

Plugins are like. Custom header data, new navigation tabs / dropdowns, profile page tabs and updates, footer and sidebar blocks and information. etc.

An example of a one liner is the lack of a hook in pagenode_container , otherwise I would be able to wrap the output around a div with a certain size.

Anyway, more on topic..

It replaces every phrase and template that isn't customized. And it replaces every file.
So if you have a customized template, it will say: you have outdated templates (and lists them).
You will be able to revert the template and re-apply the customization.
Depending on the complexity of the theme you have it will either be short and easy or time consuming and frustrating.

All that said, I still have a customized template from the alpha build that I never updated in 1.1.0 beta 5, simply because it holds nothing crucial and it still works, it doesn't break any old or new feature. (ergo why it has low priority for me to finally update it)

I have a bunch of edited templates on my xenforo 1.04, and I'm wondering how to go about upgrading to the newest version. So, what exactly does upgrading overwrite and replace?
What is the difference between the upgrade and full packages?
The upgrade package does not include the following files and directories:
.htaccess
library/config.php
data
internal_data

What are outdated templates and why do I need to revert them? Can't I just continue using the old ones?
If a template is changed between releases, i.e. from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1, and you have manually edited it, then it will be marked as outdated. This is done because the software doesn't automatically overwrite those templates, thereby causing certain functionality which you have added to be lost. It is an indication that the core code has changed and you need to take action. The software will continue to function with these outdated templates but you may be missing important updates and bug fixes so it is recommended to revert and reapply any edits.

How do I replace the XenForo header logo with my own?
Upload your logo to the server and change the image path in the ACP -> Styles -> Style Properties -> Header and Navigation -> Settings: Header Logo Image Path.

How do I replace the Xenforo Facebook recommend/like logo with my own?
Upload your logo to the server and change the image path in the ACP -> Styles -> Style Properties -> Header and Navigation -> Settings: Facebook Open Graph Logo. Due to caching it can take several weeks for the image to update on the Facebook servers.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180455

As long as you have changed your image path in Style Properties, then upgrading won't overwrite any of your style images.

Similarly with outdated templates, the software won't automatically overwrite them, so you will need to manually do that.

Okay, so what I need to do is back up my files, update xenforo, copy the code from the outdated files, revert the files, and then fill in with my modifications?

There is no need to back up any server files as you can always replace them by downloading them from here.
Unless you have overwritten some of the default images and icons with your own, in which case you do need to back those up but ideally you should create your own style directory and move them to there.

The basic steps for an upgrade are as follows:

1. Close the site
2. Take a database back up
3. Upload the files from the upgrade .zip
4. Perform the upgrade
5. Run the file health check
6. Revert any outdated phrases and reapply any edits - ensure you have a copy of your edits saved somewhere
7. Revert any outdated templates and reapply any edits - ensure you have a copy of your edits saved somewhere
8. Set any new options
9. Set any new permissions
10. Update your style as required - may require files to be copied from the default style directory to your custom style directory
11. Open the site

Optionally you can check for any changes to .htaccess and incorporate those too.

Also covered here: http://xenforo.com/help/upgrades/

The things I do which I think helps towards upgrading are -

1. I keep a log of all changes I make.

2. In the template I put a comment at start and end of a change. Not EXTRA.css
Code:
<!--  START Section X moved from below to put ID details up under avatar -->
blah
<!--  END Section X moved from below -->
I also place this kind of comment hard left.
As a lot of the XF code positions over on the right it's easy to find my comments when I scroll down.

As far as I can imagine it this means I can take copies of any templates I changed and check if I need to put the changed bits in the new versions. The Outdated XF system means I have a backup in case I slipped up and didn't note something down in my log, or comment it.

Just so I can get this correct, reverting the files causes them to be reverted to default right?

yes

If you want to keep the previous code to use some of it, use CTRL+A then CTRL+C in the template code box.
Paste into wordpad or code editor. Save.
Now revert.
Add in the bits you had changed.

This is a good method to find out something that went wrong.
Add bits in inn steps - to find the part that causes the problem.

pretty much every 'physical' file will be overwritten, so you may want to shift your custom style into its own directory to avoid your logo and whatnot being overwritten
This is something that confuses and worries me now that I'm about to upgrade to the new release candidate.

I have no directory for my own custom style...? I've created it by exporting the default one, edited the XML to change the style title, and imported it. It still uses everything in the /styles/default folder.

What do I do to have everything for my style in its own folder? Obviously I duplicate the default folder and rename the copy, but how do I point everything to that?

I've now upgraded from beta 5 to RC1, and for some reason the breadcrumb hover css attributes seems to have changed. Shouldn't all the styling be the same after an upgrade, since I use my own style and not the default one?

8. Set any new options
9. Set any new permissions
Is there a change log somewhere, so you know what new options and permissions there might be to set?

Top Bottom