What exactly does banning prevent?

Yes I already found that one of this person's IP's was identical to another members, from a mobile network, so that would cause issues.
Mobile IP are more commonly used than a home ISP IP, so you should never really ban those.

Xon's add-on is indispensable for dealing with banned users.

1711135575068.webp

Most of those have been caught by Xon's add-on, and previously the multiple user detection add-on (though it was not as good as Xon's).

They can't log in, but clearly read as a guest and keep sending hostile messages to the forum email!
Set your email client filter and send their emails into the bit bucket (trash) so you never even see them. If you use Gmail for your inbound email, you can do that on the GMail web interface itself.
As long as you offer the Contact Us link, they will be able to send you email. Putting their email in as a banned email may work, but then they can get a disposable email to pester you. Ultimately, no real way to prevent it.

If that happens it means he has another account.

Not true. Mobile companies don't use static IPs for their customers. At least all of them don't. Some might. On my site I have shared IPs with a half dozen, or more, of my users. Those are definitely not my other accounts. It's just that they have the same mobile company as me so they sometimes get the same IP address I've used.

So IP banning is a bit pointless if a user tends to use their mobile mostly for accessing the site (which most of my members seem to do).

I can’t see that restricting permissions to the contact email would help if they are viewing as a guest. They can’t login as the account is closed. I have blocked them from accessing the forum social media though.

Banning a member blocks their access to the site completely.

There is no way they could respond to a DM via the site when banned.
hmm... Maybe it's the way our permissions are set up? On our site, banned users are still able to read the forum, since of course they could do that if they weren't logged in. And often we only need to give a 24 hour temp ban.

The issue is there doesn't seem to be a permission to prevent someone from responding to an existing conversation or to turn off access to conversations altogether. There's only permissions about creating or receiving new conversations (besides things like ratings and attachments). So yeah, a banned user is still able to respond to existing conversations. Happy to be corrected with a fix for that behavior.

Banned members can't log in so can't reply to DMs.

Whatever is happening on your site is either due to a third party add-on and/or the members are not banned.

I'm pretty sure they're not :-) They're different nationalities for a start off and have different voices and physical locations - the forum members show videos sometimes. It's a Mobile Network IP address. The problematic ex member also has two other IP addresses which are individual to them - but uses mobile to access the forum mostly so can't see the point in blocking the other two IP addresses.

Banned members can't log in so can't reply to DMs.

Whatever is happening on your site is either due to a third party add-on and/or the members are not banned.
I guess not. Allowing them to stay logged in but not post allows us to keep track of "banned" users. Especially if they start sending harassing messages as mentioned above. Though for us, most figure out how to stay civil and are eventually are allowed back.

But what am I missing about conversations? Is there not a permission setting to keep a usergroup from replying to existing conversations? Or either to deny access to conversations?

Top Bottom