What exactly does banning prevent?

Not true. Mobile companies don't use static IPs for their customers. At least all of them don't. Some might. On my site I have shared IPs with a half dozen, or more, of my users. Those are definitely not my other accounts. It's just that they have the same mobile company as me so they sometimes get the same IP address I've used.
I'm sure if you have a big forum like my mate @BIG LLC does over at bigfooty he will see the same as what i do. Idiots signing up again just to repeat the same stuff as before that got them banned in the first place.
I get the same 4 clowns on my forum plus some others who have signed up as different people just to mock them.
All with the same ip address.

This is just categorically untrue. Please read about IP addresses and understand how they work before sharing misinformation that might be detrimental to other communities.
I range ban ip addresses mate. It makes it hard for the trolls to return.
Please learn to understand that everyone is different and does things differently.
You might disagree but i'm not giving out misinformation.
I will check if the same user has signed up and merge them with a banned account.
There is no way that somebody else can have the same ip address as somebody else and be a totally different person.
For example if your ip address is 1.1.1.1 nobody else can have that ip address.
I'm not like someone else here who lets their banned members pm people.

Those of you telling me i'm wrong then you're telling me that cisco is wrong.

I did this in an information technology class as a class exercise.

Go ahead tell me that i'm wrong again

Yeah that's not necessarily true. If they use the same cellular carrier or the same VPN service they can have the same IP.
Yeah but you said this yourself. You let banned people PM you. How dumb. Just ban the ip address whether it is a vpn or what not. Don't let them pm you or contact you.
Get what i am saying. 🤦‍♀️

If somebody you banned signs up again you will see the same ip address, similar way of posting and all the same harassment.

You would be very naive to see otherwise.

Not necessarily. It's pretty easy these days to browse with a different IP address.

There is no way that somebody else can have the same ip address as somebody else and be a totally different person.

Again, this is absolutely, positively, 100% incorrect. I just checked my own website. One IP address I use I share with 2 other people. Another IP address I use I share with 4 different people. I also know for a fact that none of those people are the same people. I know a few of them personally but they're definitely not me. Also, the list of IP addresses I use is up around 50+ because I browse on mobile a lot and my home IP address changes regularly.

Again, this is absolutely, positively, 100% incorrect. I just checked my own website. One IP address I use I share with 2 other people. Another IP address I use I share with 4 different people. I also know for a fact that none of those people are the same people. I know a few of them personally but they're definitely not me. Also, the list of IP addresses I use is up around 50+ because I browse on mobile a lot and my home IP address changes regularly.
Agreed. A lot of US ISP tend to recycle IPs and will rotate them unless you spend extra for a business plan or static IP, @Suzanne O.

I range ban ip addresses mate. It makes it hard for the trolls to return.
Please learn to understand that everyone is different and does things differently.
You might disagree but i'm not giving out misinformation.
I will check if the same user has signed up and merge them with a banned account.
For example if your ip address is 1.1.1.1 nobody else can have that ip address.
I'm not like someone else here who lets their banned members pm people.
You know nothing about what you're talking about, per usual.

Unless you have paid for a static IP from your ISP (and those are normally restricted to business accounts due to the availability of IPV4 addresses) it is guaranteed that you will eventually share an IP with someone within your local vicinity.

For mobile IP addresses, IP are assigned by cell tower and you are guaranteed to share IP addresses within an area.

If you're truly worried about banned people signing up, use Xon's add-on as it will then track the user based on cookie as well as IP, allowing you additional metrics to monitor for multiple accounts. Merging users is not a good tactic, as if they have multiple devices, they are going to be able swap devices and use a VPN/proxy to bypass bans.

🤷‍♂️ chances are you'll just ignore the corrections again, but hopefully someone who reads the misinformation you post will see any reply telling you that you're wrong (once again).

Last edited:
Agreed. A lot of US ISP tend to recycle IPs and will rotate them unless you spend extra for a business plan or static IP, @Suzanne O.
Static and dynamic are different kettles of fish.
Imagine you were with telstra here in australia and @mjda was with optus here in australia. Both of those are static (that doesn't change)
If you went with TPG it would change a lot which means it is dynamic.
Still i've never encountered someone with the same ip address.

as do many more in the world. there are a finite number of IP4 addresses and most ISPs do not give every user MAC ID for their router or their celluar device a static IP for connecting. in fact in every location i've had an ISP here in the US getting a static IP for a home user is an additional charge.
they rotate through a pool of IP addresses and you may get it today and 5 days later somebody else may get it.
there may be areas with small numbers of people that can do that but in countries with large populations it is very rarely done.
generally banning wide swathes of an IP range is something that is either done to try to prevent users in a country trying to connect or do like ******* is doing with Texas, giving a different notice to users that connect from a range of IPs associated with that state.
If @mjda knew he was about to get banned and signed up with another account his ip address would be the same.
maybe where you live but if they lived in the united states then they would most likely simply clear their DHCP assigned address and get a new one since they are not bound to a MAC ID.
doing range IP range banning as a moderation tactic is rather foolish at the level of xenforo. there are better ways to handle that which keeps traffic from ever hitting your server. cloudflare is what the guy that hosts my website does.
he uses asn numbers to block certain access.

Last edited:
Imagine you were with telstra here in australia and @mjda was with optus here in australia. Both of those are static (that doesn't change)
Still i've never encountered someone with the same ip address.
IP are IP, static just means that it is solely leased to you, while dynamic is pulled from a pool based on availability.

With home ISP, you will be assigned an IP and will retain it for the lease period (or until your modem is restarted). For mobile ISP, IP are assigned by cell towers (as I previously said), and thus you can have someone get assigned the same IP you had within the same day or even at the same time if they are using CGNAT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT).

Again, please stop talking about things you know nothing about.

I believe you, your forum has only four members. When you have thousands of members posting I guarantee you'll find quite a number posting from the same IP.
Yeah but that's if i allow others to use vpns, proxies, and other stuff i have banned.
If you make it simple people will only use their home isp.
I don't let them. For my own sakes
I used to have 20 members on my site.
Found out that 18 of them are trolls.
Only have 4 now.
I've had a gutfull of their abusive antics.
There will come a time where i can't be stuffed anymore.
The same goes for on here.

Last edited:
But what am I missing about conversations? Is there not a permission setting to keep a usergroup from replying to existing conversations? Or either to deny access to conversations?
Maybe, as Paul B was hinting at, you have got an addon which lets people reply by email to DMs? If so, it needs to be repaired, to respect bans.

Other than that, something would have to have badly broken the whole banning system on your installation, because banned users can't log in at all when things are working. But you can easily test these things yourself...

What in the world are you talking about!! I AM with Telstra and they do change.

maybe where you live
No, shes just utterly confused.

Xenforo should tag repeat offenders who state rubbish with a misinfornation label. This is constantly happening with this user.

What in the world are you talking about!! I AM with Telstra and they do change.

No, shes just utterly confused.

Xenforo should tag repeat offenders who state rubbish with a misinfornation label. This is constantly happening with this user.
Do some reading.

Do some reading.
please, take the advice you are giving others and quit giving bad advice here.
i am new to xenforo but in my reading to learn i constantly see you giving what is incorrect advice regularly.
before i became disabled i was a manager with a major companys help desk center so i know bad advice when i see it.
i am pretty sure every person here that has commented on dhcp versus static and the sheer stupidity of range banning ips are well aware of the differences and the benefits and downfalls of each process of obtaining an ip.
the point that is trying to be made and you are apparently being to dense to understand or to stubborn to admit you are wrong is that a large portion of the world uses dhcp for their users because of the finite number of ip4 addresses since they have all been issued out since 2019 and the number of people needing them one continues to climb.
it is why ip6 was developed.
i don't think any wireless carrier here in the u.s. offer static to their mobile customers (roughly 373 million people) and that is 8% of the entire ipv4 range of addresses just for those cell devices.
you may be stuck in the limited view of from the country you live in but i assure you the rest of the world does not work the way you claim.

Last edited:
Top Bottom