What exactly does banning prevent?

Alvin63

So I had a member leave a few months ago in a huff, determined never to return, but accepted the account just being closed down rather than deleted (ie so it could be opened up again if needed). It was a relief really as they were a pain. They can't log in, but clearly read as a guest and keep sending hostile messages to the forum email! Still complaining about things even though no longer a member. I can of course ignore them as it's childish. But I thought I might just ban the account and be done with it. Except will that make any difference? The account is closed down anyway - email address removed, so they can't log in. But they can still view as a guest - which clearly winds them up.

So presumably banning the account doesn't stop them viewing as a guest? Would banning the IP address stop them viewing as a guest?

It prevents bad behaviour such as trolling, abusive behaviour, etc.
If somebody that used to be a member is stalking your forum, start up a thread about their antics.
If they continue to abuse you show their isp the comments.

Does it block devices or just locations? They had about 4 different IP addresses regularly - maybe from different devices? But the mobile phone IP's had slightly different numbers at the end each time.

Does it block devices or just locations? They had about 4 different IP addresses regularly - maybe from different devices? But the mobile phone IP's had slightly different numbers at the end each time.
You might like to get your hands on @Xon's sign up and abuse addon and his standard library addon.
Also if it is a mobile phone ip address let the mobile phone company he is with know

They can view whatever is for the public.

As long as they do not change that IP address.
Thank you. I don't quite understand that - isn't it a contradiction? That they can view whatever is for the public (as a guest) but blocking an IP address would stop them doing that? Unless they changed their IP.

In my experience the best long term fix for these kind of issues is to simply ignore them. It's really not worth your time and effort and I can tell you from experience even if you did manage to shut them down completely, there's a chance they may start chasing you around the internet to places where things are a lot more public.

Yes I see that point but it's getting to the point where I want to stop the hostile emails and the hostile emails are triggered by looking at the forum. I think the second point you made is already happening - via the forum social media account! But I'm ignoring that. Anything hostile on there can be reported
As long as you redirect the page to another site.
For example you could have him redirected to reddit for example.
I didn't know you could do that. That could be quite amusing - depending on where you redirect it!

Last edited:
Yes I see that point but it's getting to the point where I want to stop the hostile emails and the hostile emails are triggered by looking at the forum. I think the second point you made is already happening - via the forum social media account! But I'm ignoring that. Anything hostile on there can be reported

I didn't know you could do that. That could be quite amusing - depending on where you redirect it!
I use it all the time.
It's in admincp > options > user discipline and options > redirect page.
Think of one site he could follow that is not up his alley. One that he hates.

I'd have to be careful there :ROFLMAO: That could really inflame and lead to other things. Something boring though perhaps. I saw on another thread someone said leave a banning reason as "site under maintenance" or something, but I'm not sure that would look good for the forum and they could soon find out by asking someone else to login - people chat privately on social media. I think people usually guess they're blocked when they can't view. I'll have a think about it. Might be easier to just block their email address - although they could just use another one.

I'd have to be careful there :ROFLMAO: That could really inflame and lead to other things. Something boring though perhaps. I saw on another thread someone said leave a banning reason as "site under maintenance" or something, but I'm not sure that would look good for the forum and they could soon find out by asking someone else to login - people chat privately on social media. I think people usually guess they're blocked when they can't view. I'll have a think about it. Might be easier to just block their email address - although they could just use another one.
The best thing about it is that it will stop his behaviour.
Also you should make it harder for him to message you. Look at his banning options and cut off the contact us bit so he can't contact you.
Then block his email address particulary if it is a disposable one. Make it hard for him to contact you.

Would banning the IP address stop them viewing as a guest?

It would, yes, unless their IP address changed. Also, banning a wide range of IP addresses could keep other people from being able to view your site.

You will never be able to technically prevent the person from doing this if he really thinks he really needs to see the contents of your forum.

I agree with this. You cannot, these days, keep anyone from viewing your site if they really want to view it, especially not by banning an IP address.

In your case, I'd just block the email address or choose to ignore the emails.

Top Bottom