What exactly does banning prevent?

What in the world are you talking about!! I AM with Telstra and they do change.
i remember reading where apparently in australia they do have somewhat fixed IP addresses for use with some providers. they call them sticky IP addreses.
but since she mentioned telstra before.
i am pretty sure that they know what they are commenting on since they run the network used. apparently a business account with the ISP can get you a static IP on the account automatically.
meanwhile the larger part of the rest of the world assign the IP dynamically as part of their network so that they can reuse it.
the exception can be IP6 addresses since there are so many of them available now. that is 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 IP6 addresses compared to 4,294,967,296 IP4 addresses.

IPv4 here is almost always dynamic unless you're paying for static on a business plan. I find my home IP doesn't actually change much (I am on a cable connection that is fairly solid so don't reboot very often) but it is technically dynamic and I can't count on it not changing. And my other main point of connection is my phone which is dynamic, of course.

Pv4 here is almost always dynamic unless you're paying for static on a business plan.
you can get static on home internet also. the guy who helps me out has a static at his house because he remotes into systems that are locked down for remote access to specific addresses some way.

The IP @ my home has not changed in over a year. If i loose power for less than four hours a new IP is never reaquired (Spectrum). I do a full WHM backup over FTP to my home NAS every night in addition to normal backups. After four hours I just need to reconfigure the new external backup IP in WHM.

Top Bottom