XF 2.0 New admin - what does Discourage IP entail?

Diana Cox

What exactly happens when you "discourage IP" someone?

I've started a "competing" XF community message board, where the community has been using Yahoo Groups as an egroup for almost 20 years. These are OLD people, and some don't want to change platforms. The mods of that group are all members of my board, and they just put me on moderation for posting about my group on theirs. I'm a bit loath to just boot them off my board, because of course they will retaliate. And I don't want them using their board to diss mine, if they think they're having technical issues which supports their argument that their crap egroup is easier for old people than mine. So I want to know what it does.

As a side note, part of the conflict is that people are annoyed to have to be members of BOTH groups in order to see all the posts. So I figured out how to feed their egroup emails to an RSS feed (despite the fact that Yahoo disabled the RSS feed feature as part of their service downgrades). So their posts are now posting on my board. If you want to port Yahoo Group emails to XenForo, Zapier (https://zapier.com/app/home) can give you a way to do it. For my situation, it required an intermediate gmail account, so the posts are forwards, but that's also a benefit because the entire original message posts, and it's easy to disguise the sender by having the RSS feed come through an admin or RSS-specific account.

What exactly happens when you "discourage IP" someone?
Delays, etc.
Check in your ACP.

A user can be discouraged by editing the user in the control panel and enabling the Discouraged option. The behavior of the discouragement system can be controlled by options in the User Discouragement and Discipline group.
Alternatively, specific IP ranges can be discouraged. This helps ensure that the behavior is maintained even when the targeted user is not logged in.

Top Bottom