What does 'XenForo Community' discuss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have just registered at this forum, and I don't know what to be discussed at this forum.

While trying to log in to Android forums with my account, I have found
Our bots are currently hard at work upgrading
Android Forums to Xenforo.

Thus, I have clicked on the Xenforo, which guided me to this forum of yours.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I can post my threads at this forum If I have some problems with my Samsung Galaxy Mini GT-S5570I, such as: Pairing Samsung Bluetooth with my Laptop's Bluetooth. Also, I need a DLNA client which will work with my mobile model
  • I tried the AnDLNA player which was working with me, however, it couldn't support some file formats.
  • Ginkgo DLNA is not compatible with my Android Samsung model

You cannot host custom pages or scripts on webs.com, therefore you wont be able to host XenForo on it.
Thanks a lot,
Then, what should I do to be able to host XenFore on my website created on Webs.com? Should I upgrage my website from free website into a premium domain, such as .com, .org and so on.

Last edited:
Thus, do you think that I need now only to purchase the forum software 'Xenforo' or whatever else I want and install it on the server ''webs.com'' hosting my website.
No. As @Goodfella has said, you cannot install XenForo on web.com. All they provide is free website on webspace that is theirs. They won't allow you to install your own software. You need to buy a domain name of your own and buy your own web hosting package from another company.

In addition, you think a forum software such as 'Xenforo' will let me create my forum, or the software package, itself, is designed as a forum and only needs to be installed on the web-hosting server?
Yes, but the web hosting company cannot be webs.com.

Also, do you think that webs.com on which my website is created is a website hosting package?
No, as above you won't be able to use them.

As the others have said, your questions have been answered several times now. Hopefully you now understand.

What is your unanswered question?

NB: my website is only free and created on the domain 'mywebname.webs.com'
Thus, do you think that I now only need to purchase the forum software 'Xenforo' or whatever else I want, and then install it on the server ''webs.com'' which is hosting my website?

In addition, you think a forum software such as 'Xenforo' will give me an interface to let me design my forum, or the Xenforo software package, itself, is pre-designed as a forum and only it only needs to be installed on the web-hosting server hosting my site?

No. As @Goodfella has said, you cannot install XenForo on web.com. All they provide is free website on webspace that is theirs. They won't allow you to install your own software. You need to buy a domain name of your own and buy your own web hosting package from another company.

Thank you all of you very much indeed,

No, they provide a premium website. Upgrading to a webs premium plan must be monthly, yearly charged. Thus, I will need to pay for a Web plan But I don't know if they'll allow me to install my own software if upgraded
I now understand that I need to:
1- Buy a website with a premium domain(a URL/domain), such as Websitename.com
2- Buy my own web hosting package from another company.
3- Buy and install Xenforo or whatever else I want on the server(web- hosting service).

IF I was right regarding what is being said above, then I would be asking:

First: I was told that a website hosting package is a web service that will give me the hardware/software to have the ability to run a website.
As a result, If I have created(purchased(upgraded) my website on webs.com, then Webs.com is considered my own web hosting package which will allow me to install my own software, such as XenForo.

Second: Is web-hosting package different from web hosting service? I know that webs.com, weebly.com, wordpress.com are all web-hosting services.

Third: if I had purchased Xenforo, how would you have let me download it?

Finally: Are there any steps I have go through while installing the Xenforo on the server? If you could provide illustration steps of installing Xenforo, it would have been much better.

@a cooperator :
Buy your own domain name.
Buy webspace which supports PHP 5.4+
Familiarize yourself with it by uploading an image to it with an FTP client.
Familiarize yourself with PHP by installing a free forum software there.
Is it working? Buy Xenforo and install it.

Do those steps.

Yes, there are quite a few of them such as SMF, phpBB, etc.

Thanks a lot,
I really don't know if there will be downloaded first to my computer, and then installed them to my site. If so, then their downloads will be shown as unknown files(no setup files) on my computer.

Finally: IF I am going to classify the services, then can I say this:

• Web-Hosting websites: , such as: Webs.com, Weebly.com, Wordpress.com, and so on.
  • Other Website services-providing Websites , Such as: sparklit
  • Domain Names Buying and Selling-Providing Websites. , Such as: DomainNameSales
  • forum software-supporting websites ,Such as: xenforo

Last edited:
You can buy name and hosting at the same company but usually the name will cost a little bit more unlike if you buy domain name in another place and hosting at another place. If you buy domain name at another place you need to set the domain name DNS to your hosting company DNS.

I recommend you buy domain name and hosting at the same company. Starter account can be purchased at godaddy.com or hostgator.com or better recommendation you found or read from the internet. Hostgator has fast support. They maybe also can install for you if you ask for it.

you need some small knowledge to create database using phpmyadmin to get the database server, db name and password. This will be required at first time install. Upgrading xenforo will be a lot easier just asking for forum username. Good Luck!!

Filemanager in Cpanel- if the hosting use this Cpanel brand will let you upload the whole installation zip file and extract it on server. Fastest way than using FTP.

If you need help to install I can do it for small fee.

• Web-Hosting websites: , such as: Webs.com, Weebly.com, Wordpress.com, and so on.
Again, I repeat. You cannot host XenForo or other custom scripts or pages on web page builders such as Webs.com, Weebly.com and Wordpress.com. Proper web hosting service can be found on sites such as https://www.nimbushosting.co.uk/ or http://www.hawkhost.com/ (note this is not an recommendation, I bet there are different other options that other XF users may recommend).

I can post my threads at this forum If I have some problems with my Samsung Galaxy Mini GT-S5570I, such as: Pairing Samsung Bluetooth with my Laptop's Bluetooth. Also, I need a DLNA client which will work with my mobile model
  • I tried the AnDLNA player which was working with me, however, it couldn't support some file formats.
  • Ginkgo DLNA is not compatible with my Android Samsung model
You may post those questions on our forum: http://www.crazyengineers.com/community/gadgets-software-apps.67/ :-)

Thanks a lot,
I really don't know if there will be downloaded first to my computer, and then installed them to my site. If so, then their downloads will be shown as unknown files(no setup files) on my computer.

• Other Website services-providing Websites , Such as: sparklit
  • Domain Names Buying and Selling-Providing Websites. , Such as: DomainNameSales
  • forum software-supporting websites ,Such as: xenforo
Just to try and clarify what has been said: The websites you have listed are not web hosting services. They are website builders. The difference is simple - web hosting is like renting a parking space. A web builder gives you the car.

What you need to do is to seek out a web hosting company to rent web hosting space - there are loads out there, and a quick Google for "best web hosting" should yield loads of results. You'll also need a domain name - which is the name you see in your address bar when you're on a site. The domain name for this forum is xenforo.com, for example. Thankfully, most reputable web hosts are happy to sell you a domain name too - which means you don't have to configure it yourself.

So, once you've decided on a name and ordered hosting, you'll be left with a blank space. In order to get a forum into your space, you'll first need to buy XenForo. When you're buying XenForo, you have two options: Purchase the installation service, to get one of the members of the XenForo team to install it for you (much easier), or go without and do it yourself.

If you do it yourself:
You'll need to upload the XenForo files. Once you've bought XenForo, you'll be able to download the software from the customer area. Although it'll download to your computer, it can't be run there - you'd need to install a web server on your own machine and make it accessible on the internet, which is an advanced topic, and beyond the scope of this post. You'll instead need to get it onto your hosting space.

To do that, you'll need to firstly extract the .zip file you're given, and then download an FTP program, which we will use to connect to your web hosting - your host will give you the details you need, either in an e-mail when you sign up or via your host's support pages. Once you do, you can upload the XenForo files there - upload the contents of the upload/ folder you get to your web hosting root. After that's done (it could take a while), navigate to your website - if the files are in the right place, you'll be able to navigate to your new domain name, which starts the XenForo installer.

One of the things you'll need for XenForo is a MySQL database - nearly all hosts provide them, and you'll be able to create one in your hosting control panel (again, see their support for help if you need it). Then you put in the details when the XenForo installer asks for them.

The rest should be simple enough to just follow the steps - after that (or after your forum is installed for you if you buy the installation service), you'll be looking at your very own XenForo forum. For everything after that, there's the XenForo manual and the licensed customer area. :)

I hope that helped - good luck if you do decide to join us!

Last edited:
Yes, there are quite a few of them such as SMF, phpBB, etc.

Thanks a lot,

• Web-Hosting websites:
Webs.com, Weebly.com, Wordpress.com, and so on.
  • Other Websites services-providing Websites:

Yes, but the web hosting company cannot be webs.com.

No, as above you won't be able to use them.

As the others have said, your questions have been answered several times now. Hopefully you now understand.
Such as: sparklit
  • Domain Names Buying and Selling-Providing Websites.
Such as: DomainNameSales
  • forum software-supporting websites
Such as: xenforo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom