Browser issue  Weird Smilies Behavior in Editor

Kevin

Something I noticed tonight in regards to smilies and the editor...

In the editor insert five unique smilies in a row. They can be any smilies but for this purpose we'll call them A, B, C, D, & E. At the end of the last smilies press & hold the "shift" button and then press the left arrow button three times so that smilies C, D & E are selected. Let go of the shift button to stop selecting. Press your "delete" (or your "backspace") button to erase smilies C, D, & E.

At this point you would expect that what would be left on the screen is smilies A & B but, and here's the weird part, you instead are left with smilies A & C while B, D, & E are deleted. To show I am not cracking up, here's quick video capture. :p

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Environment
XenForo Site: XenForo.com on May 7
Browser: Firefox 4.0.1

I also tried with Chrome 11.0.696.60 and do not get the same results.

I can confirm it in FF 3 as well, but I think it's going to be a browser bug. It happens when you highlight 2 smilies as well. I don't think we (or TinyMCE) has any control over what happens when you press backspace/delete; that's a very low level function. FF may be getting confused with the range that is selected, possibly because of the lack of spacing?

I can confirm it in FF 3 as well, but I think it's going to be a browser bug. It happens when you highlight 2 smilies as well. I don't think we (or TinyMCE) has any control over what happens when you press backspace/delete; that's a very low level function. FF may be getting confused with the range that is selected, possibly because of the lack of spacing?
Trying a few experiments with a few different editors and it looks like it is a TinyMCE+FF thing.

Tried with spaces and it doesn't happen. I also tried with plain text characters and it also doesn't happen, only with the smilies. Must be a glitch in the matrix. ;)

Top Bottom