1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Browser Issue Weird Smilies Behavior in Editor

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Kevin, May 8, 2011.

1. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Something I noticed tonight in regards to smilies and the editor...

In the editor insert five unique smilies in a row. They can be any smilies but for this purpose we'll call them A, B, C, D, & E. At the end of the last smilies press & hold the "shift" button and then press the left arrow button three times so that smilies C, D & E are selected. Let go of the shift button to stop selecting. Press your "delete" (or your "backspace") button to erase smilies C, D, & E.

At this point you would expect that what would be left on the screen is smilies A & B but, and here's the weird part, you instead are left with smilies A & C while B, D, & E are deleted. To show I am not cracking up, here's quick video capture. :p

XenForo Site: XenForo.com on May 7
    Browser: Firefox 4.0.1

I also tried with Chrome 11.0.696.60 and do not get the same results.
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I can confirm it in FF 3 as well, but I think it's going to be a browser bug. It happens when you highlight 2 smilies as well. I don't think we (or TinyMCE) has any control over what happens when you press backspace/delete; that's a very low level function. FF may be getting confused with the range that is selected, possibly because of the lack of spacing?
  3. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Trying a few experiments with a few different editors and it looks like it is a TinyMCE+FF thing.

Tried with spaces and it doesn't happen. I also tried with plain text characters and it also doesn't happen, only with the smilies. Must be a glitch in the matrix. ;)