WARNING - Don't get burnt by Waindigo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Folks, now we see why someone ended up on the cross, why JFK, RFK, MLK, etc. are no longer with us, etc. etc...

I know it can be very hard to do, but giving people the benefit of the doubt...yes, even after they may have proven otherwise to YOU, can be a good thing. So many seem to think there is a clear right or wrong in all these matters - when, actually, if you asked 100 of us you'd probably get dozens of different answers.

I don't think I use any waindigo add-ons yet, but I always admired the folks here who give things away - and even those who sell them. The value is often in the hundreds or thousands of dollars each.

In the end, the problem here may be as simple as some original lack of communication, misunderstanding and fixed pricing. It's very difficult to have fixed pricing on coding...IMHO. A range or example might be better....like "I think this should take about 10 hours at $50 per hour, so it should be about $500 or similar.

Ownership of the code is quite another thing. I've had quite a bit of work done for me moving to XF and coming up with custom bits and never assumed I "owned" any of the code. Rather, I assume that the coder is using stuff from elsewhere...just as he or she may then "give" (use) the code they worked on for me to others.

If, on the other hand, I was going to have a fancy add-on coded and expected to resell it, I would make certain to have a very carefully understood agreement beforehand.

I hope we can move on from this one because it's beneficial to keep the community as large as possible and we don't need to be like the villagers in Frankenstein running around with pitchforks and torches.

I am impressed that both of them have been able to maturely discuss their disagreements in an open forum and seem to have developed (or working to develop) an amicable resolution. When I first saw this thread, that's not the way I would have envisioned how this would end up.

Kudos to you both, for keeping the discussion constructive and honest. (y)

I am impressed that both of them have been able to maturely discuss their disagreements in an open forum and seem to have developed (or working to develop) an amicable resolution. When I first saw this thread, that's not the way I would have envisioned how this would end up.

Kudos to you both, for keeping the discussion constructive and honest. (y)
And it only took ~6 pages to get it done.

Woo, go team!

Well, Folks, now we see why someone ended up on the cross, why JFK, RFK, MLK, etc. are no longer with us, etc. etc...

Good to see someone is keeping things in perspective. The butterfly effect eh? A couple hundred dollar dispute on software leads to 100 Years War.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom