Other Waindigo acquired by Audentio

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, it's not as confusing as people seeing the TH paid addons, thinking they're newly developed, "purchasing" them for $10, and wonder why they are no longer actively developed.

Yeap, I was excited thinking friends had received an update. Glad I decided to ask before purchasing. Was thinking a bunch of add-ons were updated but being kept secret to be a surprise with a $10 Black Friday promotion..

Yeap, I was excited thinking friends had received an update. Glad I decided to ask before purchasing. Was thinking a bunch of add-ons were updated but being kept secret to be a surprise with a $10 Black Friday promotion..

We're working on improving the Friends add-on so it will work on large boards, specifically to get it to work on the boards for the users that originally funded it. This will likely be the first add-on we update. All of them will be actively supported and receive bugfixes and feature updates as necessary.

Jake

I understand XenForo's viewpoint, they don't want to switch a free to paid or vice versa
As you know, there is no mechanism within the Resource Manager which will do that.

Your proposal to run queries directly against the database was refused, for obvious reasons.

This is a limitation with XenForo, we did not want to have to remove those. I understand XenForo's viewpoint, they don't want to switch a free to paid or vice versa. But its not as though we had a decision in this.

What limitation is that? Both DragonByte Shout v7 and WikiVault have two versions in RM. Why wouldn't you be allowed to do the same, keeping old unsupported as lite and the new premium as pro?

We're working on improving the Friends add-on so it will work on large boards, specifically to get it to work on the boards for the users that originally funded it. This will likely be the first add-on we update. All of them will be actively supported and receive bugfixes and feature updates as necessary.

Jake

Great! Great great news!! I'll be waiting with money in hand to purchase once that update is released.

As you know, there is no mechanism within the Resource Manager which will do that.

Your proposal to run queries directly against the database was refused, for obvious reasons.
What reason is that? Since this request is becoming public. I thought the reason was just you do not allow resources converted from free to paid and vice versa.

The functionality doesn't exist in the Resource Manger to change resource types from free <-> paid.

It never has.

There was also no stipulation from our end that the free ones needed to be deleted.

We just advised that we couldn't convert a free resource to a paid resource.

I might have missed something, but I don't understand why the free ones had to be removed? It would have been just as much work to mark them as unsupported, wouldn't they?

Never mind. I guess I just don't understand the purpose of removing the free resources, but whatever.

There was also no stipulation from our end that the free ones needed to be deleted.

We just advised that we couldn't convert a free resource to a paid resource.
Not saying that. But we still didn't have a choice. In other words it was the only way we could change a free product to a paid one.

This is just 24 add-ons as well, compared to the 340 or so.

Not saying that. But we still didn't have a choice. In other words it was the only way we could change a free product to a paid one.

This is just 24 add-ons as well, compared to the 340 or so.

You're saying 2 different things. The products are still free, but you're just paying for the support. Why did you have "no choice" to change the "free" products to "paid". Why not just create an RM thread for the support option for each addon, and mark the original as unmaintained, perhaps even adding a reply to those original threads saying "Paid support is now available with this resource"?

That way, the history stays with the original addon, for those that don't want the $10 support option.

You're saying 2 different things. The products are still free, but you're just paying for the support. Why did you have "no choice" to change the "free" products to "paid". Why not just create an RM thread for the support option for each addon, and mark the original as unmaintained, perhaps even adding a reply to those original threads saying "Paid support is now available with this resource"?

That way, the history stays with the original addon, for those that don't want the $10 support option.
Then just not update the other add-on? As it won't be 'paid' for? If we did it wouldn't be fair to those who are paying. Im just saying you are making this out like you have the answer when you aren't considering all the options. This is the best decision for our company and for our customers, if we are to continue developing. All this time we have to spend proving we have legitimate intentions as a development company is saddening.

I'm just asking questions. I'm not trying to tell you what the answer is. I'm trying to wrap my head around what you are labeling your new resources as, and why you had "no choice" to remove the free resources.

Then just not update the other add-on? As it won't be 'paid' for? If we did it wouldn't be fair to those who are paying.

On one hand, you could update the "free" addon in the original thread, if it is indeed "free". People aren't paying for it, they're paying for "support", right? That would require more work, yes.

On the other hand, sure, you could just leave those original "free" addons unmaintained, and not even respond to the threads. Direct any questions about them to the paid "support" versions. I don't see a problem with that.

Nobody commented on the fact that we released 215 add-ons open source, so anyone can work with them now. This is a double standard.

A double standard? The addons were already available in the RM for free, weren't they? You decided to take on all of those addons, put some of them on GitHub, and charge for the "support" for others. I'm not sure if you want a pat on the back or a medal, but here you go! (pat pat) lol

I personally don't care which ones you charge for and how much.

Last edited:
All Im saying is that many are arguing what is fair when clearly we have jumped through hoops. The service was originally free. Absolutely no contributions financially have made to us, not under the Waindigo brand. We've dissolved that and its model with this move. Jon made any money or contributions or donations, we've made none. This is black and white. If you want a hobbyist who goes missing managing your add-ons and wasting your money, we are NOT the company for you. We have been in business almost ten years and our track record proves we back our products, support our work, and we are the ones adamantly fighting to stick around and help grow the community.

Then just not update the other add-on? As it won't be 'paid' for? If we did it wouldn't be fair to those who are paying.

How would it not be fair to those that are paying? Those paying are receiving updates, bug fixes and new features. Those that decide not to remain with the addon in the current state that it is. I don't really understand how you can justify
suddenly selling addons that were free with no updates or fixes along with known to have bugs in the current state of the add-on. They should be made avail for purchase after they are fixed, meanwhile, a free version should have remained for those wishing to currently use it, but not have to pay into a fixed soon promise. Your already stating your understaffed and have only two developers that can fix these.. Shouldn't wanting to accept money had waited til after they were updated and then released as a new version.. I know when @Daniel Hood bought out his add-ons, he didn't have everyone purchase next versions of the add-on til they were currently bug free.

Nobody commented on the fact that we released 215 add-ons open source, so anyone can work with them now. This is a double standard.

Thanks for that! Didn't see an announcement regarding it, or I would have indeed liked it. It's not a double standard though, people are upset simply because you pulled out free add-ons right from under them.. No notice, etc.. Sure you said it was coming soon, but a list was to be mentioned first and many including myself were under the assuption that a free, unsupported version would still exist from before new updates.

I have no doubt that Audentio/ThemeHouse has gone above and beyond trying to support the addons they've acquired the best way they know how. I'm sure it is sometimes a nightmare.

But if I pay for the support of one of those addons, what do I get? Can I make suggestions on improving it, or would I have to use the "idea funding" mechanism to get that accomplished?

We have been in business almost ten years and our track record proves we back our products, support our work, and we are the ones adamantly fighting to stick around and help grow the community.

You know I have supported you guys with hundreds of dollars in theme and add-on purchases, renews, unlimited domains.. all that jazz.. But I have to really ask myself.. With that standard you have above, why are you suddenly putting a price on add-ons you know are bugged.. Friends even has a warning label.. Wouldn't backing your product and supporting your work be fixing it and then selling it.. Not releasing it first and then doing updates to it later based on how many people buy it or pay for up votes to do so? You want the community to have trust in you, but by doing this you appear not to have the return trust in the community to buy your products after they are bug free. Honestly, right now it just appears either your out to make a fast buck or Audentio is struggling financially, maybe due to all your aquiring lately, you put too much out with a slower return then expected, maybe due to other reason and this is a last hope to stay afloat, hoping people purchase a bunch of add-ons before bug fixes is offered for them.

To be fair, they were all bug free when I got them. Thanks Syndol :)

Ok maybe, old age is setting in.. But you didn't require a new subscription til after you started adding new features and still allowed anyone you had listed as licensed access to continue to download Syndol's version off your site, even though you mde nothing from it was more the point I was making..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom