XF 1.2 User Management Improvements

In the first of our spotlights on new features in 1.2, we're going to be looking at 2 user management improvements in particular. Keep an eye on this forum to see when we post more teasers. :)

Note that any features we demonstrate here are still in development, so things about them may change before they're released in a 1.2 beta.

User Merging
The first feature is rather important, though fairly simple to explain. In 1.2, you can now merge 2 users. The "source" user will have all of their content assigned to the "target" user and then the "source" user will be deleted.

It's very easy to use. From the user edit page in the admin CP, you can choose to merge:

ss-2013-03-15_13-54-30.webp

Then it's just a matter of choosing who you want to merge into:

ss-2013-03-15_13-56-03.webp

Bulk User Management
The other major improvement to user management is that you can now take an action on many users at once. Let's see how it works. First, you simply enter the criteria for the users to want to modify:

ss-2013-03-15_13-56-03.webp

This is just your standard user search form. As it stands, this form is identical to how it is in 1.1, but we'll be expanding it to give more search options.

Once you enter the criteria and submit the form, you get to see how many users matched along with the ability to view those matches. When you're happy, you can simply choose the action(s) you want to take and submit the form. Done!

ss-2013-03-15_14-01-09.webp

There are still some improvements coming to these features to provide more options, but these should hopefully address one of the short comings in XF 1.1.

Wish this would come out sooner, I'm going to be doing some manual mass usergroup changes myself shortly.

Mike, when removing people from a usergroup in this new feature, does it basically call removeUserGroupFromUsersModified() from the Usergroup model? I'm planning on calling a slightly modified version of that (to remove users in batches) as well as updating the user caches via the ACP and from what I can tell, that would be sufficient to properly mass remove people from a usergroup.

is this possible with this new feature ?

I have "deleted" a user at my own Forum, because that user has requested me to do so.
The Forum-posts of that user are still visible in my Forum.
The username is showing as "Guest", the original username related to these Forum-posts is gone.

But that user came back to my Forum 6 months after he requsted his own deletion and is a happy and active user now.
He is now using the same username which he had previously.

Question:
can I merge the old Forum-posts of that deleted user (Guest) with the new active user ?

Appreciate your help!

is this possible with this new feature ?

I have "deleted" a user at my own Forum, because that user has requested me to do so.
The Forum-posts of that user are still visible in my Forum.
The username is showing as "Guest", the original username related to these Forum-posts is gone.

But that user came back to my Forum 6 months after he requsted his own deletion and is a happy and active user now.
He is now using the same username which he had previously.

Question:
can I merge the old Forum-posts of that deleted user (Guest) with the new active user ?

Appreciate your help!
Doubtful. If the userID has remained in the tables, it should be possible with a query.

In the screenshot I can see you can do multiple things to two selected users, the last option is "Delete users"

So we can delete more than two users at the same time in 1.2? Can we select those users by their post count and join date?

For example, 10 users who joined one year ago that has zero posts. I'd love to batch delete them.

I need to know because I have Floris Delete Zero posts addon. It lets you choose by days and by post count. Would rather just use User Management if it does what that addon does.

by the way in the "User upgrades" i dont see an option to add an update to a user manually. Like in vb "Add paid subscription" . some people doesnt like to use paypal so how do u upgrade them if the send money via bank account etc. There is no edit either. and since we are talking about user management maybe a throttle discussions and likes per X time for usergroup whould be nice too. why whould someone upgrade if he can send unlimited pms etc ..

by the way in the "User upgrades" i dont see an option to add an update to a user manually. Like in vb "Add paid subscription" . some people doesnt like to use paypal so how do u upgrade them if the send money via bank account etc. There is no edit either. and since we are talking about user management maybe a throttle discussions and likes per X time for usergroup whould be nice too. why whould someone upgrade if he can send unlimited pms etc ..
You can upgrade users manually.

uupgrade.webp

I need to add all existing members of my forum to a new user group before the forum goes live next month (there are certain discussion areas that I don't want new users to see post launch). Is there any easy way to do this pre 1.2, eg using a MySQL query?

I need to add all existing members of my forum to a new user group before the forum goes live next month (there are certain discussion areas that I don't want new users to see post launch). Is there any easy way to do this pre 1.2, eg using a MySQL query?

xenforo does it differently to how you would normally have your usergroups on other platforms ( so i learnt yesterday when i asked the same question as you ) .

Take a read through this thread :

http://xenforo.com/community/posts/529244/

And then take a look at this one to enable you to move all users rather than just the ones active in the last 72 hours :

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/massively-change-primary-usergroup.47975/#post-515223

Yeah this would help a lot when trying to change a user's email adress because of a duplicate account, right now it's impossible since XF will detect that the email has already been used. Great advancement!

I have Liked as many of these as I saw but this adds extra and summarises:

Search on users
with < [ x] posts
with < [ x] posts registered before Y date
with < [ x] posts registered after Y date

Usernotes permission to view
- frontend link off Membercard,
- poss frontend postbit tiny link.
- backend link on acccount
- both show alert if user notes created/ updated since last viewed
- ability to Follow selected users to get alert if admin/mods update their usernotes
Basically it would be great to stop having to use loads of data lists in documents OUTSIDE XF and emailing them to staff - I even tried using a second onsite database which gets silly. We also tried using threads in the staff forum but although this notifies a current concern it doesn't help with organised record keeping per user.

Memberlist view selected usergroup
- with custom fields per usergroup shows on this search
- A-Z bar to select pagination.
- link to usernotes viewable by permission, displays alert if new note.

Show Join date on front page of account and .on Memberlist
Show Location on front page of account and .on Memberlist
Add membercard data and links to memberlist item. Ive done this manually with template edits and it's really useful.

The Merge option doesn't appear for some of the oldest users. Why does this happen? I only have these options:

View Public Profile
Ban User
Revert Message Edits

One of the users is super administrator.

Last edited:
You can't merge from an admin or a moderator (for safety) as that will delete the user. You need to remove them from those before you can do the merge.

Top Bottom