XF 1.2 User Management Improvements

In the first of our spotlights on new features in 1.2, we're going to be looking at 2 user management improvements in particular. Keep an eye on this forum to see when we post more teasers. :)

Note that any features we demonstrate here are still in development, so things about them may change before they're released in a 1.2 beta.

User Merging
The first feature is rather important, though fairly simple to explain. In 1.2, you can now merge 2 users. The "source" user will have all of their content assigned to the "target" user and then the "source" user will be deleted.

It's very easy to use. From the user edit page in the admin CP, you can choose to merge:

ss-2013-03-15_13-54-30.webp

Then it's just a matter of choosing who you want to merge into:

ss-2013-03-15_13-56-03.webp

Bulk User Management
The other major improvement to user management is that you can now take an action on many users at once. Let's see how it works. First, you simply enter the criteria for the users to want to modify:

ss-2013-03-15_13-56-03.webp

This is just your standard user search form. As it stands, this form is identical to how it is in 1.1, but we'll be expanding it to give more search options.

Once you enter the criteria and submit the form, you get to see how many users matched along with the ability to view those matches. When you're happy, you can simply choose the action(s) you want to take and submit the form. Done!

ss-2013-03-15_14-01-09.webp

There are still some improvements coming to these features to provide more options, but these should hopefully address one of the short comings in XF 1.1.

Just got done defining user merge stuff for all my custom stuff... one thing that I was thinking was it would be nice if there was some sort of "UserTools" model for the merge stuff. With it being in the normal User model, you can end up doing a pretty large number of extending of the User model, which is "instanced" every page view (needed to read the user record in of whoever is browsing the forum).

In my case, I have 18 addons that have some sort of user-specific data in them... so this is 18 code events and 18 PHP files that are loaded in every page view just in case of the rare chance there is a user merge.

Just got done defining user merge stuff for all my custom stuff... one thing that I was thinking was it would be nice if there was some sort of "UserTools" model for the merge stuff. With it being in the normal User model, you can end up doing a pretty large number of extending of the User model, which is "instanced" every page view (needed to read the user record in of whoever is browsing the forum).

In my case, I have 18 addons that have some sort of user-specific data in them... so this is 18 code events and 18 PHP files that are loaded in every page view just in case of the rare chance there is a user merge.
I've requested something similar already:) http://xenforo.com/community/threads/userdeletion-username-change.56558/

Is there a way to see how many times a user has logged in and when? Also what threads/pages they've accessed and when? Can we track what people search for in the search box? This is useful to see the level of engagement on your site and what's popular or what people are looking for.

In the default software, no. I also haven't seen any add ons that provide such detailed analytics, but something like Google Analytics may give some insight.

Is there a way to see how many times a user has logged in and when? Also what threads/pages they've accessed and when? Can we track what people search for in the search box? This is useful to see the level of engagement on your site and what's popular or what people are looking for.

A good addon idea! Maybe someone will make it.

is there any way to test which registered users have their Email not working anymore ?
I have send automatic Emails for "Watched Forums" to users and see that about 10% of my users have their Email not working anymore since any Emails being send to those users are bouncing back.

is there any way to test which registered users have their Email not working anymore ?
I have send automatic Emails for "Watched Forums" to users and see that about 10% of my users have their Email not working anymore since any Emails being send to those users are bouncing back.

Another good addon idea!

Top Bottom