XF 1.2 User Management Improvements

In the first of our spotlights on new features in 1.2, we're going to be looking at 2 user management improvements in particular. Keep an eye on this forum to see when we post more teasers. :)

Note that any features we demonstrate here are still in development, so things about them may change before they're released in a 1.2 beta.

User Merging
The first feature is rather important, though fairly simple to explain. In 1.2, you can now merge 2 users. The "source" user will have all of their content assigned to the "target" user and then the "source" user will be deleted.

It's very easy to use. From the user edit page in the admin CP, you can choose to merge:

ss-2013-03-15_13-54-30.webp

Then it's just a matter of choosing who you want to merge into:

ss-2013-03-15_13-56-03.webp

Bulk User Management
The other major improvement to user management is that you can now take an action on many users at once. Let's see how it works. First, you simply enter the criteria for the users to want to modify:

ss-2013-03-15_13-56-03.webp

This is just your standard user search form. As it stands, this form is identical to how it is in 1.1, but we'll be expanding it to give more search options.

Once you enter the criteria and submit the form, you get to see how many users matched along with the ability to view those matches. When you're happy, you can simply choose the action(s) you want to take and submit the form. Done!

ss-2013-03-15_14-01-09.webp

There are still some improvements coming to these features to provide more options, but these should hopefully address one of the short comings in XF 1.1.

I can merge my users together? Is it bad that many evil thoughts came to mind when I read that? :P

Though seriously, epic features here! The bulk management will be much more beneficial for me.

Cool, I would also like the ability have more than one source user assigned to the target if that's a possibility. So basically merging more than 2 members into 1.

What I suggested would be easier, though the scenario where it would be required is very scarce. I've only needed to do it like twice in 5 years... so yeah, no need after your good advice.

One of the reasons I originally suspended migration of AVForums is because of missing functionality like merging users. It's not something smaller forums possibly do very often, but larger forums with 'no duplicate account' rules like us need to merge users on a regular basis.
Similarly being able to search for and then manage large selections of members is something else we take for granted. Members who have no posts, haven't visited for a year and have 'receive emails from admin' switched off are regularly removed.
Good to hear this kind of functionality is getting added. Keep going, Mike.

could have done with this much earlier lol,

I imported my board from VB which had everyone set up in different usergroups, Took me ages to make everyone the same primary usergroup

Top Bottom