Tapatalk - yes or no

The idea of Tapatalk is to drive more users to your community, the app itself make it super easy for people to sign up and join, despite he is a lurker but you get to access his profile and email and ultimately you can reach out to email to retain them back to your community and encourage them to participate.
I wish I'd known this 6 months ago when two users came onto the site and begun being lurkers. :( I thought they were just lurkers and won't even post.

I mean, I know I have their e-mail address, and can "retain" them, but e-mail retaining often doesn't really work in my experience, so I felt discouraged by their lack of participation. :(

In a year or two, browsers would have push notifications as well. Unless your app would do something remarkable, for now I can only see how your clock is ticking.

What isn't going to change is the market place ecosystem for Android and iOS. Having your app rank at the top for your term will bring in many many new users you likely will never find as the web goes more and more mobile.

By all means though, ignore this. I like my top rankings for my apps as they are.

What isn't going to change is the market place ecosystem for Android and iOS. Having your app rank at the top for your term will bring in many many new users you likely will never find as the web goes more and more mobile.

By all means though, ignore this. I like my top rankings for my apps as they are.
Making an app just for push notification for your board is called a garbage app these days. And your app would never be at a high rank on any store, AppStore or GooglePlay unless you have a really big board with ten thousands of active users. All the top ranked apps have hundred thousands or even millions of users. I haven't seen any forum mobile app that have so many users.

Making an app just for push notification for your board is called a garbage app these days. And your app would never be at a high rank on any store, AppStore or GooglePlay unless you have a really big board with ten thousands of active users. All the top ranked apps have hundred thousands or even millions of users. I haven't seen any forum mobile app that have so many users.

Well if it was just for push notifications you'd be right. Considering the high use of my apps by my members over just opening their browser, I'd say they have found more use than just push notifications.

But by all means, again, the clock is ticking so don't worry about it.

I would like to see Tapatalk registrations being pushed to a separate usergroup. That way it would have been easier to clean spam accounts.

@tapatalk, your #3 really needs to be #1 on the list as it is causing a lot of grief for the owners of the forum. Even after making the suggested changes to the files I am still getting my registration restrictions bypassed. Simple solution is go back to where the forum owner can turn off ANY registration through the app and force it to the web browser so that all spam fighting/sign-up requirements of the forum can be met.
I couldn't agree more with this. I run a forum where we heavily rely on user profile fields to target them with relevant ads. Letting users bypass this by registering with Tapatalk is losing us money.

Tapatalk now ignores your monetizing settings. Even if you have disabled ads on your site, it will still serve ads to your users. Even if you have received a confirmation email from TT that they have turned off all ads.

Tapatalk now ignores your monetizing settings. Even if you have disabled ads on your site, it will still serve ads to your users. Even if you have received a confirmation email from TT that they have turned off all ads.
Is this for the BYO?

I first considered Tapatalk way back when we looked at getting an app for AVForums on vB3. However, I decided to go for Forumrunner because it was supported by our search engine addon SearchLight (which uses Sphinx) we had to use with vB3. The SearchLight developer had looked at the Tapatalk code and warned me that it copied chunks of vB code and was a mess and that he would never support it.

Things were relatively smooth with Forumrunner but I never used the app myself, so I was unfamiliar with it generally.
Forumrunner support had originally been good from its developer Rob who even wrote a couple of addons for us (e.g. iTrader rating display).
Forumrunner lacked some features which I hoped would be added, but after it was sold to Internet Brands, support dropped off a cliff, they refused to update the addons we had purchased and my confidence in the future of Forumrunner ended.

So I switched to the Tapatalk BYO because of some good feedback and an assurance that it worked with vB and Xenforo. I also felt confident that Tapatalk was stable having been around for so long.

After swapping to Tapatalk, the feedback from the community was wholly negative. They didn't like the change from Forumrunner. My impression at the time was that the app was not popular.

So when I migrated from vB to Xenforo in October, I decided to drop the app in favour of the responsive design.
I was amazed at the number of complaints we then received from the community that the app had been removed. Particularly because I had previously only ever had negative feedback.
So I begrudgingly brought it back. I wish I had stuck to plan 'A' and left the app off because then there were more complaints because of the various and continuous problems with Tapatalk. Very disappointed how unstable Tapatalk is.

We do have an issue at the moment with our editorial which does not have a responsive design. We're working on that, but until it's implemented, the home page and editorial sections do not work well on small screens.
The forums, however, do use the responsive design although it could do with some optimising to reduce font sizes and padding/margin sizes to get more on to the smaller pages and I'm in the middle of testing that now.

So I had been keeping Tapatalk with a plan to consider removing it when our editorial goes responsive.
However, after we got thousands of server errors last week following the installation of the new version of the addon, I had to suspend Tapatalk pending a fix. Disabling the addon, however, did not stop the errors, so I had to uninstall it completely.
With help from chaps here, I then learned that uninstalling Tapatalk removed some core templates which led to messed up alerts. This I am very unimpressed with, and reinforces my perception that Tapatalk is 'cowboy code'.

Lastly I discussed the situation with our regular coder who (unsolicited) commented that he'd looked at the Tapatalk code and thought it was a mess.

Given all the other disadvantages with Tapatalk BYO not supporting our addons which include
  • anti-spam features
  • the ability to create classifieds
  • our editorial
and also not supporting Windows or Blackberry phones, I'm inclined at the moment not to bring it back.

I first considered Tapatalk way back when we looked at getting an app for AVForums on vB3. However, I decided to go for Forumrunner because it was supported by our search engine addon SearchLight (which uses Sphinx) we had to use with vB3. The SearchLight developer had looked at the Tapatalk code and warned me that it copied chunks of vB code and was a mess and that he would never support it.

Things were relatively smooth with Forumrunner but I never used the app myself, so I was unfamiliar with it generally.
Forumrunner support had originally been good from its developer Rob who even wrote a couple of addons for us (e.g. iTrader rating display).
Forumrunner lacked some features which I hoped would be added, but after it was sold to Internet Brands, support dropped off a cliff, they refused to update the addons we had purchased and my confidence in the future of Forumrunner ended.

So I switched to the Tapatalk BYO because of some good feedback and an assurance that it worked with vB and Xenforo. I also felt confident that Tapatalk was stable having been around for so long.

After swapping to Tapatalk, the feedback from the community was wholly negative. They didn't like the change from Forumrunner. My impression at the time was that the app was not popular.

So when I migrated from vB to Xenforo in October, I decided to drop the app in favour of the responsive design.
I was amazed at the number of complaints we then received from the community that the app had been removed. Particularly because I had previously only ever had negative feedback.
So I begrudgingly brought it back. I wish I had stuck to plan 'A' and left the app off because then there were more complaints because of the various and continuous problems with Tapatalk. Very disappointed how unstable Tapatalk is.

We do have an issue at the moment with our editorial which does not have a responsive design. We're working on that, but until it's implemented, the home page and editorial sections do not work well on small screens.
The forums, however, do use the responsive design although it could do with some optimising to reduce font sizes and padding/margin sizes to get more on to the smaller pages and I'm in the middle of testing that now.

So I had been keeping Tapatalk with a plan to consider removing it when our editorial goes responsive.
However, after we got thousands of server errors last week following the installation of the new version of the addon, I had to suspend Tapatalk pending a fix. Disabling the addon, however, did not stop the errors, so I had to uninstall it completely.
With help from chaps here, I then learned that uninstalling Tapatalk removed some core templates which led to messed up alerts. This I am very unimpressed with, and reinforces my perception that Tapatalk is 'cowboy code'.

Lastly I discussed the situation with our regular coder who (unsolicited) commented that he'd looked at the Tapatalk code and thought it was a mess.

Given all the other disadvantages with Tapatalk BYO not supporting our addons which include
  • anti-spam features
  • the ability to create classifieds
  • our editorial
and also not supporting Windows or Blackberry phones, I'm inclined at the moment not to bring it back.

Good feedback and something that @winter @ tapatalk needs to take very seriously. They rush things and support too many platforms with not enough developers and it painfully shows. I am sticking with them because I get great results out of having the apps in the market place. I do not run to update their code as soon as they release it though.

I do not run to update their code as soon as they release it though.
Indeed, it's never a good idea to install software at release. Let other people find the bugs. And I'm not prepared to roll back to version 1.9 as that had its own bugs and it's not necessarily compatible with the latest version of Tapatalk running the BYO.

Indeed, it's never a good idea to install software at release. Let other people find the bugs. And I'm not prepared to roll back to version 1.9 as that had its own bugs and it's not necessarily compatible with the latest version of Tapatalk running the BYO.

I'm still running version 1.81 and even with the latest app versions everything is working as expected.

The newer version(s) are indeed giving out random errors which even after a few releases are not resolved. Quality assurance is non existent but the apps themselves do have their own merits as @BamaStangGuy mentioned.

If only they had some real competition, then that would make things more efficient.

Good feedback and something that @winter @ tapatalk needs to take very seriously. They rush things and support too many platforms with not enough developers and it painfully shows. I am sticking with them because I get great results out of having the apps in the market place. I do not run to update their code as soon as they release it though.
What version are you running now?

Any luck with the latest version?
Yes, it works great for me (no server errors) since i updated to 2.0.3. :)

Note: My forum is pretty much stock as i only have 2 addons installed along with tapatalk, "Xenporta & Rotating ads".

Reinstalling Tapatalk because the learning curve for responsive Xenforo is too hard for some people to understand. :rolleyes:

scratch that, i can't even get it to work. lemme go one star tapatalk real quick.

Top Bottom