So, what's the downside?

Sador

No, seriously. I've spent a couple of hours in here, and still haven't found anything bad about XenForo. Everything looks great, I keep finding new stuff, the speed is terrific, everything works better than expected... so where's the catch? :P

What do the rest of you think?

There has to be a modification community that can expand the software and allow integration with other software. Same with theme/layout creators.
Support has to do more than link you to documentation. Much more involved support like Invision Power Board would be wonderful.
Should be able to handle large traffic and with little resources.
Customization. As in the ability to turn nearly everything off to keep the forum simple.
Security.
I'd personally want an official gallery add on, link directory, RSS feed index for external feeds, and tagging for images/topics.

Don't want much, do ya? :eek:

don't mind me, I'll just be going for my kawfee now.........

I will say that we have been leaning heavily towards an owned-license-plus-yearly-renewal scheme that resembles the way that vBulletin used to be licensed, rather than a pay-per-version model.

Yep... there was nothing wrong with the 3.x pricing model IMHO... and it also brings in a constant stream of funds for the company.

That shows 2 things -

#1 - Mike and Kier's reputation for excellent forum software development

#2 - the level is dissatisfaction with other forum software (mainly you-know-who).
Agreed. To be fair though, they also have gotten a -lot- of free advertisements of course.

It also shows a third thing, it's that even though there are high expectations, they are also justified, otherwise it wouldn't go this fast (especially with this many positive posts and topics).

It also shows a third thing, it's that even though there are high expectations, they are also justified, otherwise it wouldn't go this fast (especially with this many positive posts and topics).
Yep, that's what I meant by their reputation. The high expectation from people of these two is justified, because of their quality work in the past.
Seriously, IMHO, you can't get any better product, than one produced by these two.

Yep, that's what I meant by their reputation. The high expectation from people of these two is justified, because of their quality work in the past.
Seriously, IMHO, you can't get any better product, than one produced by these two.
Time will tell, but it sure as hell looks good. (hence this topic, of course.)

During the early adaptation might be the incorrect time to be priced more than either vb or ipb. Ipb is $150, and with different periodic sales, less.

Personally, I'd like to see this software be extremely popular.
In that case, I would have to argue for <$150 especially during the early adopters pre-sale considering:
  • The product has less features than IPB
  • It's essentially only a version 1 alpha
  • I would assume it's going to be priced competitively at the normal price, so an early adopters price should be at least 20$ cheaper.
At <$150 I would buy in an instant. :D

Regarding IE6 support. The product works very well.

All they need is a png fix for the transparent images.

Don't even need that. Just need to turn most of our PNGs into PNG-8s with alpha transparency instead of PNG-24s. IE6 will simply make any pixel with <100% opacity be completely transparent. It doesn't always look amazing, but it's better than the boxes.

Don't even need that. Just need to turn most of our PNGs into PNG-8s with alpha transparency instead of PNG-24s. IE6 will simply make any pixel with <100% opacity be completely transparent. It doesn't always look amazing, but it's better than the boxes.

What's the point? Wouldn't the gradients just be completely transparent? :P
Although that would certainly help for the logo, yes. :)

Top Bottom