So, what's the downside?

Sador

No, seriously. I've spent a couple of hours in here, and still haven't found anything bad about XenForo. Everything looks great, I keep finding new stuff, the speed is terrific, everything works better than expected... so where's the catch? :P

What do the rest of you think?

if ppl can pay for hosting, iphones, gas for car, extra pair of shoes, or go out for dinner, they can afford a license that helps them push their community to the next level, that's how i see it.

if ppl can pay for hosting, iphones, gas for car, extra pair of shoes, or go out for dinner, they can afford a license that helps them push their community to the next level, that's how i see it.
Good point, I don't pay for hosting, don't have an iPhone, have no car nor the gas, I only have one pair of shoes and I rarely go out to dinner. So yeah. ;) Please, don't make assumptions that aren't true for everybody.

Good point, I don't pay for hosting, don't have an iPhone, have no car nor the gas, I only have one pair of shoes and I rarely go out to dinner. So yeah. ;) Please, don't make assumptions that aren't true for everybody.

I am on benefits, and I still think it's worth paying that. :p

Let's hope it's at least $249, because that's what it is worth to me.
Anything over $180 would be pushing it, IMO. I'm hoping for $150. :)

Make it cheap, and people who might not even need a license will buy it anyways, just to support the project and experiment with the code.

$150 would be competitive and affordable, I don't know why we are discussing it though, I'm sure Ashley, Mike and Kier know what they will be charging, its in the hands of the god's now :P

True, which of course it isn't.

I would not expect this will cost that much though, but if it does, it does.

Competitive to vBulletin and IP.B, this could be mean anything, but like you, I think its possible lower price may attract more people, especially, if they offer a discount to people who have IP.B and vBulletin Licenses. Way to eat them.

No one said it's not worth it. ;)

I do pay for hosting, my iPhone was a gift, I have a car and pay for gas, go out to eat very rarely (can't afford it), and have 3 pairs of shoes.
I'm also a single mom with a special needs son.

The point? :D

Aside from all this, as I said above, no one is saying that the price above wouldn't be worth it. It already is, without anything else added, imo.
Affordability is quite another thing.

Anything over $180 would be pushing it, IMO. I'm hoping for $150. :)

Make it cheap, and people who might not even need a license will buy it anyways, just to support the project and experiment with the code.

BUT make it *too* cheap and it loses its perceived value in the market.

I hope to see a *realistic* price, realistic at both ends, I don't mind paying reasonable money to support strong solid development on a strong solid product.

BUT make it *too* cheap and it loses its perceived value in the market.

I hope to see a *realistic* price, realistic at both ends, I don't mind paying reasonable money to support strong solid development on a strong solid product.
No, it won't. Especially if it's the special reduced prize they are talking about at the start. Also, although most of the people here right now know what Kier and Mike did and can do, but to the public this is probably yet another forum software that has to proof itself. Make it too expansive, and the public will rather choose for well known products like vBulletin.

Honestly, if they charge >$180 I can see it splitting the users (the same ones that are generating all the excitement right now) into two classes: Those who can afford it, and those who know Kier and Mike, love the software, and want to support the project but are forced to watch from the sidelines because the license is too expensive.

Yeah, the software is great and all, but I can't see how some of you are seriously suggesting paying $250 or more for a version 1 alpha product. :confused:

My advice to the team would be to make it cheap to start with (especially with the early adopter sale), so that almost everyone can afford to get a license and everyone is included. Start with a really strong community where (almost) everyone has a license, and then let the software grow in value as the community builds and you add features. If you come out with it priced at $250 or more, I think you could potentially kill a lot of the buzz by excluding those that can't afford it. :)

Just my opinion. :)

Top Bottom