1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so what's the deal with the delay before the link overlay loads?

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by User, May 28, 2011.

1. User

User Well-Known Member

I have no patience and I hate waiting.
    Whenever I try to include a link by highlighting the text and then clicking the insert/edit link button, there is a noticeable (and annoying!) delay before the overlay loads (this is on an i7 powered machine).

This is especially frustrating since one does not experience the same delay in other forum software and end-users can easily confuse this with forum lag (host lag) which is obviously completely incorrect but perception is reality.

Is there any way to fix this to have the insert link overlay appear instantaneously?
    DroidHost and ragtek like this.
  2. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

I really don't see why an iframe is loaded - a simple prompt() would suffice. As it stands typing out the bbcode is often faster than waiting for the iframe to load. Perhaps if it were aggressively cached it wouldn't be such an issue.
    ragtek likes this.
  3. AntonyF

AntonyF Member

I just tried it. I estimate that it was about 0.3 seconds for the box to appear, and about another 0.3 for everything else to load. If you can't wait for THAT... well...
  4. ragtek

ragtek Guest

Yea, i hate this too, also by the img,video & code popup
  5. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

3-4 seconds fully cached here, can type the bbcode faster than that
  6. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Testing 123

It is virtually instant for me in FireFox 3.6.17 - low powered Window XP box.
    I think this has to do with the editor which xenforo uses.
  7. User

User Well-Known Member

Could be browser dependent too somehow, in FF 4.0.1 it 2-3 seconds for me, not fractions of a second. In IE9 it's a bit faster. Either way though, the FF4 crowd is quite large and annoying them with such a slow performance is somewhat of an issue.

What can be done to speed this up?
  8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Not a ton. It's actually making a request to the server for the page. This stuff is all built on functionality within TinyMCE. I'm not sure why it doesn't get cached though.

Regarding the iframe vs a prompt, while a prompt would work in some circumstances, it doesn't work on others (code most obviously).
  9. Shelby

Shelby Active Member

Yeah, seems like 1-2 seconds here as well.
  10. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

It's a lot faster on my own site where the Javascript files are cached with Expires headers and no 304 request/response is necessary. However there is still an odd request for index.php, after the Javascript is loaded - the same thing occurs on XF.com.

The iframe does not load until the index.php request completes.
  11. Wuebit

Wuebit Well-Known Member

Yea same here I see close to no-delay where the JS are cached with Expires headers
  12. Panupat

Panupat Well-Known Member

What do you use to monitor the load time?
  13. Wuebit

Wuebit Well-Known Member

14. User

User Well-Known Member

For the non-initiated, does this mean it can or cannot be fixed?
  15. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I don't think it can be fixed, but I could be wrong.
  16. User

User Well-Known Member

Just to confirm before I run off and ruffle the feathers of the TinyMCE community; This problem is caused by TinyMCE and not by the way XF implemented TinyMCE?
  17. James

James Well-Known Member

I'm sure that'll clarify any TinyMCE concerns on XF. If it happens there, it's TinyMCE's problem.
  18. User

User Well-Known Member

I assume that XF does not use the jQuery version of TinyMCE then? At least their jQuery demo loads close to instantly for me when I am trying to insert a link even though it does load the window with tabs etc.
  19. Brett Peters

Brett Peters Well-Known Member

Good to know I am not the only one that find this Annoying - Bad to know its not easily fixable.
  20. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I just tested this here, and took right at 1 second to load it. On my site perhaps half that time.