so what's the deal with the delay before the link overlay loads?

User

I have no patience and I hate waiting.
Whenever I try to include a link by highlighting the text and then clicking the insert/edit link button, there is a noticeable (and annoying!) delay before the overlay loads (this is on an i7 powered machine).

This is especially frustrating since one does not experience the same delay in other forum software and end-users can easily confuse this with forum lag (host lag) which is obviously completely incorrect but perception is reality.

Is there any way to fix this to have the insert link overlay appear instantaneously?

I really don't see why an iframe is loaded - a simple prompt() would suffice. As it stands typing out the bbcode is often faster than waiting for the iframe to load. Perhaps if it were aggressively cached it wouldn't be such an issue.

I just tried it. I estimate that it was about 0.3 seconds for the box to appear, and about another 0.3 for everything else to load. If you can't wait for THAT... well...

I just tried it. I estimate that it was about 0.3 seconds for the box to appear, and about another 0.3 for everything else to load. If you can't wait for THAT... well...

3-4 seconds fully cached here, can type the bbcode faster than that

Could be browser dependent too somehow, in FF 4.0.1 it 2-3 seconds for me, not fractions of a second. In IE9 it's a bit faster. Either way though, the FF4 crowd is quite large and annoying them with such a slow performance is somewhat of an issue.

What can be done to speed this up?

What can be done to speed this up?
Not a ton. It's actually making a request to the server for the page. This stuff is all built on functionality within TinyMCE. I'm not sure why it doesn't get cached though.

Regarding the iframe vs a prompt, while a prompt would work in some circumstances, it doesn't work on others (code most obviously).

Not a ton. It's actually making a request to the server for the page. This stuff is all built on functionality within TinyMCE. I'm not sure why it doesn't get cached though.

Regarding the iframe vs a prompt, while a prompt would work in some circumstances, it doesn't work on others (code most obviously).

It's a lot faster on my own site where the Javascript files are cached with Expires headers and no 304 request/response is necessary. However there is still an odd request for index.php, after the Javascript is loaded - the same thing occurs on XF.com.

gr0u.png

The iframe does not load until the index.php request completes.

It's a lot faster on my own site where the Javascript files are cached with Expires headers and no 304 request/response is necessary. However there is still an odd request for index.php, after the Javascript is loaded - the same thing occurs on XF.com.

gr0u.png

Yea same here I see close to no-delay where the JS are cached with Expires headers

For the non-initiated, does this mean it can or cannot be fixed?

Just to confirm before I run off and ruffle the feathers of the TinyMCE community; This problem is caused by TinyMCE and not by the way XF implemented TinyMCE?

I just tested this here, and took right at 1 second to load it. On my site perhaps half that time.

Top Bottom