So, what's the downside?

Sador

No, seriously. I've spent a couple of hours in here, and still haven't found anything bad about XenForo. Everything looks great, I keep finding new stuff, the speed is terrific, everything works better than expected... so where's the catch? :P

What do the rest of you think?

As far as pricing goes, if I was involved in the decision making process, what I would be recommending is that the old vBulletin pricing scheme be used as the model. The old model being, that you pay an upfront fee for a perpetual license and then you pay annual maintenance fees for access to software updates and member area renewals.

In time, I truly believe that this product rise to stand on it's own and more than likely, way above the rest of the players. But I think the reality is that the first core customers of xenForo are bound to be current and former customers of vB, many of which are looking for forum software that is an improvement and a next logical stepping stone from the vB 3.8 platform.

Given that vBulletin rose from startup, to the dominant market leader using their old pricing scheme and that the new vB scheme has seriously alienated and infuriated so many customers, to me the logical model would be based off the old vB setup, which most vB customers seemingly were comfortable with.

Imagine something that looked liked this...

Forum Only License $160 dollars, renewal of members area $60 per year. License is transferable to a subsequent owner.

Add-ons would be priced separately from the base forum software, but add-on maintenance fees and access to updates is included in one yearly or annual renewal fee.

Suite License - Includes Forum Software license plus (future) add-ons products like blogs, CMS photo-gallery etc.

To me, that scheme worked before and many were very comfortable with it, so that's where I would go as a starting point.

Where I would NOT go with the pricing scheme, is where vBulletin have gone. That being, where a user pays for a lifetime version license, as this scheme simply doesn't allow a customer to make a reasonable assessment as to what they are paying and then actually getting.

Where I also wouldn't go, is where IPB have gone, where they have everything priced separately and then also have numerous separate renewal fees for updates to numerous products.

Customer's like things that are crystal clear and simple to understand as in, pay this, get that. What customers don't like is complicated pricing models that are hard to understand and that contain lots of fine print.

Straying too far from the KISS principal with customers, only results in frustrated customers from misunderstandings and a lack of clarity.

Just my .02 cents...

-Chris

Honestly, if they charge >$180 I can see it splitting the users (the same ones that are generating all the excitement right now) into two classes: Those who can afford it, and those who know Kier and Mike, love the software, and want to support the project but are forced to watch from the sidelines because the license is too expensive.

Yeah, the software is great and all, but I can't see how some of you are seriously suggesting paying $250 or more for a version 1 alpha product. :confused:

My advice to the team would be to make it cheap to start with (especially with the early adopter sale), so that almost everyone can afford to get a license and everyone is included. Start with a really strong community where (almost) everyone has a license, and then let the software grow in value as the community builds and you add features. If you come out with it priced at $250 or more, I think you could potentially kill a lot of the buzz by excluding those that can't afford it. :)

Just my opinion. :)

I couldn't have said it any better, so won't even try.

Whatever is decided, I would recommend not changing it frequently. IPS had made a number of changes to the pricing/licensing a while back in a short period of time which resulted in a lot of confused and upset customers. When IB had changed the pricing and licenses dramatically (not to mention made it confusing, especially when add-on prices kept getting readjusted), and split vB4 and vB3 owners, it really infuriated people.

I hope that whatever is picked stays the same for a long period of time. Jelsoft had a nice pricing scheme that was easily understood, didn't confuse people, and was stable. I think the only increase came when VAT had to be included.

Whatever is decided, I would recommend not changing it frequently. IPS had made a number of changes to the pricing/licensing a while back in a short period of time which resulted in a lot of confused and upset customers. When IB had changed the pricing and licenses dramatically (not to mention made it confusing, especially when add-on prices kept getting readjusted), and split vB4 and vB3 owners, it really infuriated people.

I hope that whatever is picked stays the same for a long period of time. Jelsoft had a nice pricing scheme that was easily understood, didn't confuse people, and was stable. I think the only increase came when VAT had to be included.
Agreed.

I converted one of my small start up sites to IPB by purchasing one of the old IPB Suite licenses which are now defunct. The Suite license didn't include all the products and then there is also a confusing renewal system for updates where you do each product separately, but then there are discounts for combining renewals, etc. etc. etc. Confusing stuff like that drives me nuts as a customer. :eek:

Customers want value for their money and value is often perceived rather that quantitative.

Therefore, a model that is perceived as being good value by most customers, is one that will ultimately be successful long term. :)

-Chris

A smart company should always recruit user feedback, then apply their requirements, then release. User feedback would typically dictate, cheap, cheap, cheap, but that is not realistic to the company. So a simple poll can usually assist a more accurate direction, then the company obviously apply their pricing requirements. The model is what is significant to the user IMHO... the price a user will really have little say over, ie. old 3.x structure, 4.x structure, IPB per item structure, etc. Get that model right, and then the company can establish the price that benefits them and keeps them in business.

I don't have IE6.

I just know that people seem to mention it a lot at other software forums so I thought I would just toss it as as someone would eventually anyway.

The post saying it works well enough was good.

There has to be a modification community that can expand the software and allow integration with other software. Same with theme/layout creators.

Support has to do more than link you to documentation. Much more involved support like Invision Power Board would be wonderful.

Should be able to handle large traffic and with little resources.

Customization. As in the ability to turn nearly everything off to keep the forum simple.

Security.

I'd personally want an official gallery add on, link directory, and tagging.

During the early adaptation might be the incorrect time to be priced more than either vb or ipb. Ipb is $150, and with different periodic sales, less.

Personally, I'd like to see this software be extremely popular.

Top Bottom