1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, what's the downside?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Sador, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

No, seriously. I've spent a couple of hours in here, and still haven't found anything bad about XenForo. Everything looks great, I keep finding new stuff, the speed is terrific, everything works better than expected... so where's the catch? :p

What do the rest of you think?
    Peggy likes this.
  2. Floris

Floris Guest

Downside, it's not for sale (at the moment).
  3. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

The downside is we don't yet have the breadth of features that more established forums have.

But I think we are going to shock people with how quickly we can develop with the XenForo framework.
  4. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Too true, haha.
  5. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

Maybe not, but I think at the moment, this alpha version is probably better than most other forum software I've used. And considering there's not even been a first release yet, I guess a lot of features will still be added in the near future.

Edit; I also agree with Floris. :D
    Anthony Parsons likes this.
  6. Floris

Floris Guest

To not make (wrong) assumptions, I think that I rather want to believe it is what it is now, and everything that they have now is getting finished, tweaked, bug fixed and made ready for beta testing. And anything they still want to put 'on top', is worth a 1.0.1 or 1.1.0 release.
  7. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

8. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Honesty. This is an important reason -amongst others- why I am here and not contributing anymore to the vBulletin community. Kier and Mike: it would be good if you guys or your newly attracted (and hopefully soon vivid and lively) community can construct an overview of what xenForo does have and doesn't have compared to vBulletin and Invision. It's clear there is no Blog or CMS (unfortunately also the reason why xenForo is no option for us at it's current state), but for all the other functionality it would be nice and handy to know.

I was shocked when we discovered what Internet Brands did to the name and community of vBulletin, so let us be shocked again, but now in a positive way! I wish you guys all the best: you deserve it.
  9. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

I actually meant in future versions as well. :)
  10. Floris

Floris Guest

If this first alpha is already NOT underwhelming, and more complete than I anticipated. I don't want to hurt my brain thinking what version 1.1 is going to be as an experience for my members, or 2.0 !
  11. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

Good to hear :)
    GodForum.com likes this.
  12. tecknical

tecknical Member

The features may not be in place yet, but the forum is already more stable than other final releases out there.
    Onimua likes this.
  13. JVCode

JVCode Well-Known Member

Hasn't even had the first release and it's already looking great!
  14. JulianD

JulianD Well-Known Member

XenForo framework would be a great idea for a post from the devs of XF! To hint the developers about what to expect with XF!
  15. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright Well-Known Member

You get the foundations right and the rest of the house will just fly together.
  16. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Hopefully the downside won't be the price :D
    RvG and Peggy like this.
  17. Floris

Floris Guest

Let's hope it's at least $249, because that's what it is worth to me.
  18. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

Although it's probably worth a lot more, but personally I hope it's at least a bit affordable, I really am not that rich and I'd hate to miss out. :)
  19. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

BITE your tongue Floris. I can't come close to affording that! :eek:
  20. jonsidneyb

jonsidneyb Well-Known Member

Sold. I'll take it.

I am happy to pay for things that meet my needs.