So, what don't you like about XenForo?

There is a link in the footer, not very noticeable for sure and might be better named "Manual" or something, as Help looks kinda like it is the default help page for the forum.

Ah... I'd say "good to know"... but next time I need it, I will probably have forgotten again. :LOL:

But yeah, I usually click on the help button in the navbar, don't find what I'm after... then search for "Brogan faq"

.... the templates/style properties need to be cleaned up and re-prioritized in a big way.
I can't find stuff in style properties in admincp not even using the admin search.
This was an excellent concept but I agree it needs updating as finding stuff is still quite hard.
Some diagrams showing what a property applies to would be good.
Also a list of where one colour is mostly used so changing it doesnt bring those strange surprises.
As a rule of thumb a Palette colour should not be used for both text and elsewhere, a background. A palette colour could duplicate so we can change a text or a background independently.

Forums really don't need advanced or complicated (fancy) editors, we're not writing and designing website articles here, we're posting simple messages .
NOT! Some of us are posting articles big time. With the RM that will be a big usage for tutorials and guides.
[EDIT] Frequently even if admins know html (which is by no means universal) a great many mods do not. Mods are selected often primarily for their social skills, not their coding knowledge.

Even better, having pre-defined settings that select all the correct permission settings, and if you want to customize you can go into advanced mode and change them.
For example, have settings like the following:

Who can post in this forum: Everyone, Registered, Moderating, Administrative, Custom
Who can view this forum: Everyone, Registered, Moderating, Administrative, Custom

That wouldn't suit the received wisdom which is to keep Registered as the Primary with very bare basic access.
I make another usergroup called Actives which does pretty much what you suggest.

But I would like to group the Permissions more logically because over time they have "just growed."
I'd like all the passive View permissions together as access to just see things often belongs together for one group like a guest group.
Then the more active things like write, attach etc.
To be able to drag permissions into my own groups would be good. At the moment my permissions sets are forced to be very scattered with a lot of required scrollling when I'm hunting a pattern.
Again see my proposal for a permissions grid intersecting a permissions set with a list of usergroups.

Reactions: DRE
The profile system still has some way to go but it's not an area I'm really fussed about at the time or spend a lot of time in though I think it could do with some enhancing and bring in a more interactive feel to it.
Make it like a facebook profile. Right now it's kinda blah.

In defence of permissions, I find them easier on Xenforo by a long way compared to IPB and VB especially for private forums. However, it does take some "unlearning" from the dark side and this is where newbies run into problems. But creating private forums, with associated secondary groups to tick to give easy access for any users and any permutation of forums, is a genius feature of Xenforo.

I also like the editor, it's simple and works.

I agree with Shelley, the profile side is a little neglected, but isn't this the same on other forums too?

In defence of permissions, I find them easier on Xenforo by a long way compared to IPB and VB especially for private forums. However, it does take some "unlearning" from the dark side and this is where newbies run into problems. But creating private forums, with associated secondary groups to tick to give easy access for any users and any permutation of forums, is a genius feature of Xenforo.

I also like the editor, it's simple and works.

I agree with Shelley, the profile side is a little neglected, but isn't this the same on other forums too?

With regards to profiles on other products being neglected... Absolutely

I hate setting up permissions, it's a task I really loathe but the xenforo permissions system once you get a grasp on it is really versatile and powerful. Personally I find it easy to setup, never had a real issue with it (did at the start where it was tricky but nothing major) but they do the job great so agree with the defence of the permissions.

Forums really don't need advanced or complicated (fancy) editor. we're not writing and designing website articles here, we're posting simple messages (at least 99.99% of the time)
On many, many forums, I see many staff doing themselves some articles. And you just need to see how popular are the requests for a CMS/articles/Blogs modules to understand that XenForo will be more than a simple forum.

Editors that produce the code to make it 'easier' for the author, spew out horrendous code, and TinyMCE is no exception to this
That would be true, but on XenForo all html code is converted to some Bb Codes and saved in the database, so in db the code is perfectly clean, so is the output when the Bb Code is parsed
XenForo is using TinyMCE the way they decided, and that's the clever point.

my hate towards TinyMCE is perfectly justified.
Nope, see my above point.

Only 3:
> No post edit history
> No Multi Reply (Multi Quote)
> No built-in BBCode manager

Aside from that, xF rocks!

The biggest complaint I get from my members is the editor. It added tons of alignment code, line breaks, etc... though to be honest, I haven't had many if any struggles with it myself, so it's a definite possibility that it may just be them doing something incorrectly. ;) I don't hold any resentment for TinyMCE, another editor would be nice, but a patched up TinyMCE is okay too. Whatever it's called, as long as it works, I'm cool (though TinyMCE is a nightmare to style).

There's also the lack of post edit history and multi-quote ( as Sheratan brings up ), as well as some moderation tools ( merging threads, editing polls, etc. ), but these are all rather obvious and basic functionality that I think we'll see in later versions--and even if not, there's plenty of third-party resources to cover that.

The biggest complaint I get from my members is the editor. It added tons of alignment code, line breaks, etc... though to be honest, I haven't had many if any struggles with it myself, so it's a definite possibility that it may just be them doing something incorrectly. ;) I don't hold any resentment for TinyMCE, another editor would be nice, but a patched up TinyMCE is okay too. Whatever it's called, as long as it works, I'm cool (though TinyMCE is a nightmare to style).
Did you try this? Now I don't care either changing the editor but it would really annoy me to loose some functions I've always wanted since vB and I've finally managed to get after spending a huge time on them. Besides correcting some incorrect statements, that was my main point.

Did you try this? Now I don't care either changing the editor but it would really annoy me to loose some functions I've always wanted since vB and I've finally managed to get after spending a huge time on them. Besides correcting some incorrect statements, that was my main point.
I have, actually--a few of my members reported issues with posting afterwards, though, so I uninstalled it. I later learned it was a problem with their browser cache not being cleared and never got around to giving it a go again. Hoping to try it again, though--on my end things were working just fine. So again, user error is probably the issue here. :)

I have, actually--a few of my members reported issues with posting afterwards, though, so I uninstalled it. I later learned it was a problem with their browser cache not being cleared and never got around to giving it a go again. Hoping to try it again, though--on my end things were working just fine. So again, user error is probably the issue here. :)
I should have included a system that forces to update the Javascript, I just don't have the reflex to do it yet. I'm just waiting to see what is the XenForo move to see if I will update the addon or not.
This addon future is anyway to be deleted I hope... such as:
  • To speak of Chris addons: the auto installer... we all want that crazy user-friendly function + his timer anti spam addon (it seems it will be)
  • To speak of Dinh Thanh addon: XenTag (in a future future version since it implies a lot more coding)
  • To speak of Fuhrmann addon: Thread Prefix Listing (since the XenForo prefix system is so good, it needs this kind of listing to sort threads)
  • To speak of Guiltar addon: TMS ( no need to say anything about it... this is a must)
  • To speak of King Kovifor original addon: Bbcm (with parser permissions/view permissions/button management)
  • To speak of Tenants addon: loginuserlocks (to protect the admin part again brute force attacks)
  • To speak of my other addons: the "Mobile Style Selector" (this one will be deleted I have no doubt), the "Browser Detection (Mobile/MSIE)" (I don't really imagine XenForo to update themselves a list of mobiles or tablets... to use and support an existed projected might make more sense), the "Mobile Agent Tracer" (this would be so easy to integrate or develop it again - it uses no ressource but might require some updates time to time, might be a problem), "QuoteME !" (I saw in a thread, Kier had an idea to develop something like this, so if they can do it with a better js code, that would be great), "ToggleMe" (It seems many would love it, but it might be difficult), "Stop AutoLinking Patch" (already dead with the new version of Bbcm)
  • etc...
+ ajax edit to modify a thread title
+ edit history

I stop here because I lost myself writing and I'm no more in the topic. Unless to say that the above addons are a proof that what can be done with XenForo... which means there is nothing not to like about XenForo, just things to wish to be developed sooner or later ;)

Top Bottom