What developers of mods think about Xenforo. They dont like it:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to play devil's advocate a bit here because I do understand what the OP is trying to get at. Though I really like XF and I think the support from staff and other members here is very good - and I would never ever no matter how much of a problem I'm having post asking for help on vb.com because of the treatment I've gotten there and seen others receive there in the past - I do think we all need to realize (and I'll point the finger back at myself on this one as well) that not everyone uses the software for the same type of forum. Running a support forum (like this one) is very different than running an entertainment topic board, for example. So what's ridiculous for one person is essential to another. So there have been a couple of times I've asked for something and had responders say "why would you need that?!" But I just think it's different perspectives. For example - and I am NOT complaining about XF or Kier or Mike, I'm just stating a fact - whenever anyone posts about having problems getting templates to revert or save, they're told to delete some styles. I understand that a choice of styles isn't important to many forums, but for some and mine included lol, it's one of the main things requested and looked for by members. So for my larger board, that I have the XF license already purchased for, I cannot possibly migrate it over until I can use more than 3 styles with it and have the software function. A deal breaker for some, not important at all for others.

Again, I find this community very welcoming and willing to help each other, BUT we all do need to be careful to stay like this and think of others when we post. Just my 11 cents :)

I haven't even read all of this thread and need to clear something up really quick like.

I am NOT a Dragon-Byte Tech employee in any way. I don't speak for them in any way. Anything posted anywhere is my personal opinion and does NOT represent DBT at all.

What an @Trekkan could of done on this thread. ;)

I see calling people a Douche is permitted @ xenforo.com.
I reported this as insulting very shortly after it was posted.
I guess it is allowed.
For all the post editing and moving threads going on here ... seems like this was purposely left in.

You're reporting him quoting another quote of something else off this board? Why are you here.

To be fair though, I think more than anything, it's the community there that annoys the hell out of me. So many people with their heads so far up their own asses... you can't ask a simple question because it's beneath them to answer. When you do ask a question, they continually question you as to "WHY?!" you need/want such a thing, even though they themselves aren't even going to code it. Everyone wants to tell everyone what and how to do things there instead of just shutting the hell up if it's not something they are personally interested in.
Sounds like one of those random posts I saw before I actually hang around this place.

And imo we owe Jaxel our thanks for his wonderful add-ons. Not the other way around. I didn't expect any thanks from him. I even prefer to donate anonymously to be honest.

For all the post editing and moving threads going on here ... seems like this was purposely left in.
If you have something to say, come out and say it instead of insinuating.

Conversation is fine, rather than you derailing yet another thread.

If you would care to read and understand the opening post, you will note, as the rest of us have, that no one from this site has called anyone anything.

I want to play devil's advocate a bit here because I do understand what the OP is trying to get at. Though I really like XF and I think the support from staff and other members here is very good - and I would never ever no matter how much of a problem I'm having post asking for help on vb.com because of the treatment I've gotten there and seen others receive there in the past - I do think we all need to realize (and I'll point the finger back at myself on this one as well) that not everyone uses the software for the same type of forum. Running a support forum (like this one) is very different than running an entertainment topic board, for example. So what's ridiculous for one person is essential to another. So there have been a couple of times I've asked for something and had responders say "why would you need that?!" But I just think it's different perspectives. For example - and I am NOT complaining about XF or Kier or Mike, I'm just stating a fact - whenever anyone posts about having problems getting templates to revert or save, they're told to delete some styles. I understand that a choice of styles isn't important to many forums, but for some and mine included lol, it's one of the main things requested and looked for by members. So for my larger board, that I have the XF license already purchased for, I cannot possibly migrate it over until I can use more than 3 styles with it and have the software function. A deal breaker for some, not important at all for others.

Again, I find this community very welcoming and willing to help each other, BUT we all do need to be careful to stay like this and think of others when we post. Just my 11 cents :)

"Why would you need it", is a response you will get on any platform, be it wordpress blog or vBulletin forums. People have different attitudes. It shouldn't matter to a developer why you need it. They either want to make the effort to help if they can, or not.

I think part of the discussion here is (and why these guys get so much talk-back from us here), is that they don't even consider to help if they can. They just feel for whatever reason it is not worth it. In my opinion. That's a poor assumption on their part, false judgement leading to a discussion like this. Don't like a product? That's fine, don't code for it. I know I do. You won't see me support IP.Board for example, or vBulletin anymore - for that matter. But it doesn't mean I will come together with other developers and try to make a big deal out of it. It comes across like they feel they're just more important than the rest and without their support xenforo won't go anywhere. Hopefully my observation of that stance is simply wrong.

I am also pretty sure developers that are WAY better than these guys are, are for example not bothering with forum addons, but write complete corporate addons, or perhaps stick to the job they're with and don't feel like coding when they get home ..

I agree with you that attitude of people reflects something sometimes, but in this case I feel they're the ones showing and therefor indirectly are provoking the attitude. This is just a conversation about nothing.

he said, she said, blah blah .. There are more than plenty developers beyond the 5 guys that they know that are or aren't coding for XenForo at this stage.

Let them stick to vBulletin, stick to what they know. I'd hate for them to be forced to learn how to use a proper framework and be more productive.

The problem is, XenForo using Zend Framework, Developers should learn Zend before code anything, that's sad.. Xenforo should have it's own Framework :)

Yeah, because nobody uses Zend, .. ever
plus, you're ignorant. XenForo uses it's own framework.

The problem is, XenForo using Zend Framework, Developers should learn Zend before code anything, that's sad.. Xenforo should have it's own Framework :)

That's not true.

They're using only several Zend Classes and not the whole bunch of ZF Components....
For avarage joe add-ons IMO you don't need to know ANYTHING from ZF.

@Brogan

I know this isn't my thread, but could you please close it?

The guys at DBT *LIKE* xF and plan on supporting it, etc. This thread was started from a quote copied from the DBT site that I made. While not entirely out of context, I posted it there in response to another post. It was somewhat of a rant (as I noted in my original post) and I posted it on DBT because I didn't want to cause any issues/drama here on xF, but also felt the need to vent a little.

I'm not part of DBT and never have been, just a customer of theirs and I like their products. The context of my thread was more directed at that as I like DBT, their work and their support I'd like to see them do work for xF (as I am switching to xF) and I feel that the xF community and end users would overall benefit from them doing xF work. That was lost in "translation" it seems and well...

I'd like to see this thread closed so as not to continue to confuse people as to original intent of the posts and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom