1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What developers of mods think about Xenforo. They dont like it:

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Claudio, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

Im really very interested in buy xenforo, but does the software have the neccesary implementations to be easy to make mods for it? the answer is no..at least for Dragonbyte mods developers (http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/f8/s...onsider-working-themselves-into-xenforo-4427/)

For who doesnt know, Dragonbyte is a group of people that makes mods for vbulletin and also wanted to make mods for Xenforo when it was released, but they found too many problems..

My propose with this thread is analize their words in order to help to improve the software for xenforo developers, somethings is good to hear what developers say. Its true that the core software its important, and also its true that it needs mods created by the community or the software will have a short life..

Trekkan said:
    and then

RedSpades answered him:

So, i prefer hundred of times xenforo before vbulletin (i also have 3 licences of vbulletin4), but this make me well consider migrate to xenforo. Also im using 3 pays mods by DragonBytes, and its a shame that they dont plan to make mods for xenforo because of this.

I hope this thread open the mind of some people of this community

Thread url: http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/f8/s...onsider-working-themselves-into-xenforo-4427/
  2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

If he is having trouble getting his dev questions answered then I can probably help. I have begun developing addons recently. The addon system is easy to use once you get used to the code. The code is, admittedly, very different from vBulletin. It takes some getting used to.

I think he has a philosophical disagreement with XenForo's approach to features. See Kier's interview:

3. xfrocks

xfrocks Well-Known Member

I don't get why the opinion of a team represents "developers of mods"? I have worked with both systems and needless to say, XenForo is much more enjoyable to work with. If the team doesn't want to work with XenForo and you want to move, I guess you can look for other developers here. Good luck ;)

PS: Or better yet, you can contact me but I'm kinda busy currently so... :D
  4. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

+Like +Love [Xenforo needs a LOVE button!]
    Where do I pay ?
  5. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Those comments seem to be from end-customers, not developers nor the DB staff (unless I'm missing something). :unsure:
  6. Digital Doctor

It seems the OP was selectively quoting the thread.

Sheldon Bowyer replied:

jmurrayhead, dutchbb and Peggy like this.
  7. Robert F Schmitz

Robert F Schmitz Well-Known Member

I am not really sure where that all came from. From day one after the release of xF beta, mods were beginning to be posted. As for the statement "But without knowing what their plans are, in pretty much anything, you have to take everything on faith.", that has me a bit confused. I have always felt that a general direction has been made available and whenever possible, Kier has posted videos that point out how features can benefit those creating mods.
    Jaxel is doing a great job developing mods and has been almost from day one. One's life is filled with people that may not react or act the way you want them to but if we all were the same it would be a bit boring. ;)
    dutchbb and Peggy like this.
  8. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

Trekkan is only a tester, he doesn't speak for staff as far as I can tell.

As far as what developers think... None of the ones I know have any issues with XenForo whatsoever (Other than the occasional need for documentation). Most people are only waiting on 1.1 because it is likely very close (Less than a month), and others are just busy with their own add-ons, or sites.

People just forget that developers also have lives, and also have their own priorities.
  9. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

Trekkan is a vbulletin mod developer of dragonbytes

I only wanted to quote negative feedback about xenforo mods/developers, when you are going to purchase some software, you need (well...in my case) to see whats going wrong with it and if it will improve mods in terms of quantity and quality
  10. Robert F Schmitz

Robert F Schmitz Well-Known Member

The software is less than a year old. What's going wrong is really hard to quantify for me. I have been on vB for a good while and well needless to say what is going wrong. I don't mean this as a bash of vB and play fanboy of xF but I finally made a hard decision to dump my vB4 on a site that really could use it for a new seat of xF because of all the things going right here and wrong there.

There is solid and positive support here from staff and members alike if you run into a problem and things get fixed in a timely manner when it is a bug.
    Fuhrmann likes this.
  11. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Are you sure about that? Wouldn't seem so from that thread, plus see Forsaken's response.
  12. Digital Doctor

source: http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/f10/vbactivity-vbcredits-||-deluxe-4580/#post26858
  13. Digital Doctor

I reported the insulting / unhelpful comments about a very important Addon Developer here.
    I realize you didn't say it ... but I think it would be best if you edit out names in your post.
    Your links to the source of the insulting can remain if you want.
  14. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

He is listed as a beta tester on their forum: http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/showgroups.php

Theres nothing wrong with XenForo as a platform, and development is quite booming for a year old piece of software. People just have this outrageous assumption that development speed should match their hopes.
    Steve F likes this.
  15. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Then you obviously have a biased opinion. You can't expect every developer to jump on a new product just because someone wants it. I came to XF just to see what it was all about, I fell in love with the software, and joined. Bought it day one just to see the code and play, and let me tell you: I love it! The software is fun and easy to learn with. Can they show us a question they didn't get answered? A lot of questions get answered at some point in the development forums, and I know I've talked with other developers in private over stuff. We had major modifications out within days of XF v1.0 beta 1, which is an accomplishment. So, we don't have a few more out, but 1.1 is right around the corner, and we have lives. DragonByte isn't the all-knowing development god, they are developers. And have their opinion. It doesn't reflect it as a whole.
    Rob Fritz, Onimua and Forsaken like this.
  16. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

If you want a true opinion of what add-on developers for XenForo think of developing for XenForo, look here on the site. Any complaints being made elsewhere do little to improve things here since it's unlikely Kier and Mike will see it.

That said, I love developing for XenForo and see myself spending quite a bit of time working with the platform for the foreseeable future. I plan on cementing that in a few weeks. :cool:
    jonsidneyb, Renada, FredC and 8 others like this.
  17. Crazyfruitbat

Crazyfruitbat Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the angle you look at this - I signed up for VB4 on day one and it was a good 6 months before we actually saw useful mods appearing on a platform that was supposed to be tried and tested. Devs were starting projects then giving up on them halfway and every time a vb4 update appeared none of the mods and styles worked and had to be re-written. We saw decent mods on here within weeks and updates brought very little hassle for the developers.

The other side of it is that Xenforo is not just a new board, it's a new company - probably with limited resources, books to keep, tax documents to submit, hassled by VB's lawyers all in a year with just a small handful of guys but they have still managed to make a great stable product from the off. I'd rather the stable product to build on rather than a platform that is going to constantly change.
    Peggy likes this.
  18. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I'm on my cell but I'm pretty sure DB posted here saying its not they don't want to code for XF but rather thy don't have the time to learn the new system quite yet
  19. Hoffi

Hoffi Well-Known Member

Eh... the Dragonbyte AddOns are not good coded. I testet some of them, but I realized that the AddOns aren't really good. Some are big performance users, some other breaks down the vBulletin System. Example: Own Installation Scripts, something other that breaks compatibility, Namespaces.

I plan the move for me at November/December and just began to learn the xF Structure, and I like it. it is a bit complicated, but a good developer shouldn't have Problems to use this.

What xF has, is a small Framework to develop easy AddOns, that really fits into the System without doing extra things. It is easy to implement it.
    Vilandra, dutchbb and Pepelac like this.
  20. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I'm quite sure they will make time when xenforo becomes very popular in the sense that we're seeing many add-ons posted per days and there's 300-500 possibly more active customers online at every given time. At present, <can we call it a company goes in here I'm about to bulk> is too much of a money maker to just ignore. With that also said, I feel they have the luxury to hold off considering their talents and their very sort after add-ons.

We will see them here posting/selling add-ons it's only matter of when. Imo.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.