What developers of mods think about Xenforo. They dont like it:

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a developer, and one who is rooted in Procedural programming... I hated xF from the start. It was just so "odd and convoluted" at first. Mostly this is because I am still new to Object Oriented programming. After about 2 weeks of programming in the xF framework... I never want to go back to Procedural programming again.

Also... RedSpades has issues with me because he doesn't understand... I'M NOT SELLING MY MODS! They are FREE! The $50 to remove the copyright footer is just that... to remove the copyright footer. It doesn't guarantee you extra support or anything like that.

Jaxel,

Not that you need the affirmation, but I thought the comment directed to you was a cheap shot. The great work you do does not come with a promise of acknowledgment of every person who either uses or purchases a product. I remain waiting (tongue in cheek) for Bill Gates to drop by my house and express gratitude for my use of Microsoft Office.

Disagree,

I think developers will take time to get used to how to develop add-ons (differences to things they've done before, Zend Framework, using OOP if you've not before). Even if you've done OOP development in the past, the OOP in the XF and ZF is enforced (good thing) so it may be more OOPy than people are used to.

Same old, same old, something new comes along it takes time to learn it :p

A lack of developer quick-start guides is probably putting some people off, but if you're interested in making an add-on you can get started by pulling apart others or asking questions.

I'd ignore the dig at the community, I've seen people asking "why?" but it's usually because they're trying to help you not go down the wrong route (and they usually give the answer as well as asking why)

Another "Where are the Add-On developers" thread...

Well...

1. Many programmers are waiting for 1.1 to create/release mods as no point making a mod when a major core update is coming up.

2. XF code, being OOP is a bit intimidating at first to those used to the old procedural way of programming. Hence some VB old timers may never join in here.

3. With 1.1, a lot more larger sites will convert = lot more $$$ for people doing custom work = lots more new people learning to code in XF = few more free addons by some developers.

4. For the record, the community is great here. This is perhaps the only paid software forum, where you can get hardcore technical support from other customers without them thinking, hey it's not my job, let the company support answer.

Regards

Jaxel,

Not that you need the affirmation, but I thought the comment directed to you was a cheap shot. The great work you do does not come with a promise of acknowledgment of every person who either uses or purchases a product. I remain waiting (tongue in cheek) for Bill Gates to drop by my house and express gratitude for my use of Microsoft Office.
I don't see his post as a cheap shot. Jaxel is obviously a great add-on producer, but he would do well to reconsider his attitude towards customers. If he doesn't want to delve into troubleshooting, he can at least answer PM's saying just that, instead of complete silence (n)

I don't see his post as a cheap shot. Jaxel is obviously a great add-on producer, but he would do well to reconsider his attitude towards customers. If he doesn't want to delve into troubleshooting, he can at least answer PM's saying just that, instead of complete silence (n)

I can completely empathise with him, just deal with it

Also... RedSpades has issues with me because he doesn't understand... I'M NOT SELLING MY MODS! They are FREE! The $50 to remove the copyright footer is just that... to remove the copyright footer. It doesn't guarantee you extra support or anything like that.

Personally, i don't like this system. I prefer to pay $50 and have a decent support for this...just my thought.

Anyway, Trekkan it's not a dbt coder/staffer. And DBT are planning to swith it's mod on Xenforo...the problem is that they have problem to find good and enthusiastic XF coders...see this topic if you are interested.

As a developer, and one who is rooted in Procedural programming... I hated xF from the start. It was just so "odd and convoluted" at first. Mostly this is because I am still new to Object Oriented programming. After about 2 weeks of programming in the xF framework... I never want to go back to Procedural programming again.

I don't think he was questioning your free add-ons. From what I read, it was more about your general attitude and the fact that he donated $200 and never even got a thankyou. Me personally, If I were to ask for donations, and I received them I'd personally take out the time to thank those but that's just me. Maybe there's no truth in what he quoted, the quotes do seem to be very one sided.

Regardless of whether there are a multitude of great mods for xF or not (there actually are), for me, the quality of the core software is way more important than adding "go faster" stripes or fancy wheels. As has already been said, xF is an incredibly young piece of software and has been built to cater for forum owners (old and new) that want a cleaner, fresher, more socially integrated environment for their community. We only need to look at the trend for "social" software and websites over the past few years to see that graphic heavy, massively complicated and overly feature-rich sites are rightfully on the decline.

Sure, there are features and add-on's that make xF better for individual webmasters and more will come in time but with the quality at the heart of the software and the dedication of an active community and staff, xF will rise above other forum platforms. I'm not a Fanboy either, just a hard working forum owner who has watched xF mature and more importantly deliver what it set out to do.

If developers want to code for xF then that's great and it's appreciated! If not (at the moment) then that's no problem. Personally, xF is a part of my future plans and I'm sure the modding side of this community will grow further with the introduction of xF v1.1.

Thank you Devs, your work is a massive part of xF's future!

sorry guys, i didnt wanted to create this chaos with my thread

the only reason was to hear your opinions, based on Decado`s posts:

As far as exact changes - I don't have any to suggest. Our coders aren't familiar enough with MVC for that to be honest. My personal hope was that there would be ways to allow for an easier "translation" process in some way, where it could be made as simple and easy as possible to show ways to convert the traditional vb model code over to an MVC compatible format, and that those could be communicated easily to the modders.

Just to make it as clear as possible here - at no point was my suggestion that Kier and Mike had done anything "wrong" to make it difficult to port the mods, most of the difficulty just comes from the MVC format. I was hoping (key word there being hope) that there was something they could do to make the process easier - not that there was some obvious thing they had just failed to do.

Decado said:
we will be able to expand it to have the same features as our vbulletin mod infopanels in the near future =)
but the problem is that anybody replies to him when we ask for developers to convert the mods (or make it from the beginning), as you can say here:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/paid-dragonbyte-technologies-ltd-position.17481/

Decado said:
We do, No XF coders at this point though - we are hoping to find a couple in the next couple of months to help spearhead our proposed XF expansion though - with that in mind feel free to let us know if you think there are any XF coders who might be interested.
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-coming-to-xf-anytime-soon.17105/#post-224545

So, he is a coder and I get from they words that:
To programming somthing for Xenforo its difficult
Nobody wants to program for money (he offers money but nobody wanted to work in dragonbyte mods)

If I understood something wrong, please let me know. For me, as a future customer, its something important to analize this in terms of "if this software is going to have important mods" or if its mods are friendly to customize

I can't care for their opinions. Fine, those want something won't hire them. Plenty people left that know what they're doing and like to help with XenForo.

I also don't understand why I am reading THEIR thread on THIS web site.
Everybody's copy/pasting whatever everybody says.

Can I suggest that a lot of coders seem to currently be going it alone or with other Xenforo coders and actually the prospect of working with Dragonbyte doesn't appeal to many of them right now, especially since nearly everyone I've talked to have their own custom projects at the moment and want to do things in their own way rather than just converting over old VB mods.

Xenforo is like a fresh mindset and it seems to me that the people taking the plunge want to be doing interesting things with it rather than regurgitating the old stuff. Of course we need more mods but just because one company has problems with Xenforo doesn't mean there's an issue with Xenforo overall, there are plenty of great coders and I'm sure that's going to grow as the number of forums using Xenforo does.

People like being their own boss so to speak. Just because they cannot acquire modders this doesn't reflect the difficulty in making that transition with regards to developing for xenforo. Infact, 7-8 months ago I made a point in asking scores of developers did they prefer developing for <teddy bears picnic> or xenforo and not one picked <i'm going to jump off a building if i have to type this word and censor it with my own insertions>.

Factor in they clearly mention they don't fully understand the framework, they;re finding it hard to aquire modders to work with them, throw in that <v you get what i'm trying to say> is a good money maker at this time it would be prity senseless jumping to another software where the income for them would drastically be shortened taking time away from developing their <insert product here> products.

Like I mentioned, I think we will eventually see them make the transition over here. It may take a year, 2 years but I feel as xenforo matures and the customer base increases they would be fools not to develop for it. They do have a good product range, and they are very talented so I personally hope to see them make that move whether it's recruiting additional employees or splitting the workload because i feel they have a lot to give with their commercial range.

Then you have to ask yourself... what do I know? I'm merely a designer. ;) :LOL:

Personally I think posts like this are actually a good thing. If these opinions are there from anyone, whether you agree with them or not, its always good to know about them.

On comment to the community here on helping devs who are not sure I completely disagree, and tbh from what I have spoken to one of the owners of DBT he seems quite keen to get onto xenforo it just seems they havent got the time to spend on it. (at least that is the impression I got). I do indeed think that this is a problem with developers who are very experienced with procedural that are struggling with the learning curve of OOP. Having started with OOP rather than procedural programming I actually found it easier to learn how to develop modifications for xenforo than with vbulletin. Sure there are things that could be better, but thats a matter of time thing, the place is only 12 month old. Look at the direction they are taking with the development though and I honestly feel they have put a lot of thought into how people will develop their own modifications to go alongside their software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom