What I think about XenForo

xenTheory

I've tried most forum platforms such as phpBB, vBulletin, IPB and MyBB. They all have strong and weak points. I recently moved a small forum of mine over to XF from phpBB. It's my first time using XF and I have to say I'm really impressed with the quality of the software. It feels well built, stable and very customisable.

What I like about XenForo
- Modern design
- Great use of js
- Unique feel to it
- Heavily customisable
- Template system is very easy to work with

What I think could be improved
- Admin node area - it works but it doesn't feel fluid enough. I find I have to switch between different areas just to do a few things all related to one node.

- Ban options - The only thing I miss from phpBB is the option for one-click bans for spammers. There is a mod but I think it should be an included option to ban a user directly from the forum with only a mouse click (I know there is a warning system and the level defines how long the user is banned for but, in my opinion, it is overly complicated.)

- User Groups - Again this feels overly complicated. Maybe it's just me who thinks this but I do think it's easier to manage group options on other forum software.

Overall I am really impressed and would happily recommend XF to anyone. It's great value (just over £100) and very well made.

Thank you for making good quality software.

I've tried most forum platforms such as phpBB, vBulletin, IPB and MyBB. They all have strong and weak points. I recently moved a small forum of mine over to XF from phpBB. It's my first time using XF and I have to say I'm really impressed with the quality of the software. It feels well built, stable and very customisable.

What I like about XenForo
- Modern design
- Great use of js
- Unique feel to it
- Heavily customisable
- Template system is very easy to work with

- Admin node area - it works but it doesn't feel fluid enough. I find I have to switch between different areas just to do a few things all related to one node.

- Ban options - The only thing I miss from phpBB is the option for one-click bans for spammers. There is a mod but I think it should be an included option to ban a user directly from the forum with only a mouse click (I know there is a warning system and the level defines how long the user is banned for but, in my opinion, it is overly complicated.)

- User Groups - Again this feels overly complicated. Maybe it's just me who thinks this but I do think it's easier to manage group options on other forum software.

Overall I am really impressed and would happily recommend XF to anyone. It's great value (just over £100) and very well made.

- Ban options: There is a feature for that ;) It's where the report button is. Admins can select "Ban" there :) You have to set the Spam Management options though.

This complication is vital. Some admins want flexibility as far as how far they want a person or account banned. For example, for every spammer, I ban, discourage, and then IP discourage.

Vincent is right, there's a ban button on membercard popup...

- Admin area: What do you mean about this? It is sectioned off, just as phpBB. IIRC, the only difference from phpBB is that phpBB gives you a link to set permissions after you create a forum.

- Ban options: You can use the spam cleaner, not only is this one click ban, it also deletes all of this users posts, status updates etc.

- User groups: I do feel that they are pretty good, but the permission system might be a bit of a challenge at first. Check out the manual on it: http://xenforo.com/help/permissions/

I found it a bit overwhelming after moving from phpBB, and it took me some time (and some errors) before I managed to get it right. I think I have cleaned up my permissions 2 or 3 times, as I did them wrong the first time around.

Top Bottom