So, what don't you like about XenForo?

Hmm. it's the same thing as suggestions to improve.

I guess I don't like the lack of member management....

But as far as a forum, I could not ask for more. We are a year in and our traffic is up. The users LOVE it. It can do 10X what I am making it do, but there is no need to! Content is King and XF is not getting in the way of my content.

If I had to critique it would be general forum stuff. Search is just so dumb on forums (mysql). It is like the dark ages.

I wish some of those who are smart...and spend so much time here...would write some manuals for specific parts, for instance for ALL the xf code uses, rather than having it mostly buried in threads.

But those are not critiques of XF. They are simply holes in the documentation and other such stuff.

While I understand the want to stay "stock", I think it is somewhat foolish for this board not to implement google custom search. This means, in effect, much more work for the moderators since stuff which could be easily found is instead duplicated. I dislike having to go to goog and do the "site" thing to find content here.

Sidebar drives me nuts. It makes the site look to bunched up on mobile themes. I wish I could put it below the site and also put stuff like Who's Online Now on all pages.

Sidebar drives me nuts. It makes the site look to bunched up on mobile themes. I wish I could put it below the site and also put stuff like Who's Online Now on all pages.
That's style related. You can easily change that. And if you have a responsive design, the side bars can be more appropriately placed.

I wish some of those who are smart...and spend so much time here...would write some manuals for specific parts, for instance for ALL the xf code uses, rather than having it mostly buried in threads.

Like a UG wiki on a per file/per function basis? IE, this is Library/Xenforo/Model.php, these are the functions that are in it, click on one and it describes what it does and links to other dependencies?

The UG part would be easy enough... but we'd need XF to provide a framework, and it would have to take versioning into account. Edit: Maybe XF could buy a copy of XenCarta? ;)

Also tough to do that without spilling a lot of the code out into the open. Not sure how Kier and Mike feel about that, or where they think the line is. A proper wiki would probably go well beyond quoting a chunk of a php file in a bug report or development discussion.

But I wholeheartedly agree that the manuals need a lot of work, and that's certainly a place where the users could contribute.

I hate the editor (tinyMCE). It's buggy, slow, ugly, and limited (can't resize?).
I'm going to be happy to defend it one more time.
It's actually not buggy (especially the way XenForo uses it html<=>bbcode). Most of bugs (except one) comes from XenForo (and it's not really their fault either...).
It can be resized but the XenForo developers created a great elastic plugin that allows autoresize (only with TinyMCE - not the default textarea)
It's slow? True on mobile devices (anyway, mobile devices should have a light wysiwyg editor, nothing more). On none-mobile devices, I find it fast to load. For the slow inline-popups, this problem can be fixed.
Ugly? If by "ugly" you mean hard to configure css, you've absolutely right. Its table structure is horrible. Now it does the job and is efficient.

• The advantage: many resources on the web
  • The drawbacks: limited support, especially now since the TinyMCE developers are busy at working on the fourth version, html output code not cleaned => need some parser patched => make it very hard to integrate another wysiwyg editor.
Change editor as solution? No problem with that, but I hope the new editor can be configured as much as TinyMCE can be (button manager - full screen - autosave -plain text) . I don't want to go back to an editor like on vB 3.x: it was nice but it was too hard to configure (not open at all and different type of integration and hooks per page).

If you want to fix most of TinyMCE problems, check this addon. For me it does the job waiting an official solution.

^this x 1,000,000. At first I was okay with it because it does have a very simple appearance. But any time I try to use the "Insert/edit Image" button, or the "Media" button, for example, that stupid popup takes way too long to load.

that media-buttons for image and video should be separate buttons and not integrated into the editor.
I have many users having trouble finding these buttons.

That's style related. You can easily change that. And if you have a responsive design, the side bars can be more appropriately placed.
You can't post certain sidebar blocks in other pages. Have you ever tried posting the forum stats or whose online stuff anywhere else? Doesn't work like that. I want that stuff global.

You can't post certain sidebar blocks in other pages. Have you ever tried posting the forum stats or whose online stuff anywhere else? Doesn't work like that. I want that stuff global.
Sorry, I must have misread your post. You mentioned that the sidebars made it look all bunched up on pages in mobile devices. That's why I mentioned that it was style-related and could be handled nicely using a responsive design.

I'm glad a majority are saying the permissions system, because I was going to say the same, and I hope they'll see this and perhaps improve it. They're rather tedious at the moment.

Sorry, I must have misread your post. You mentioned that the sidebars made it look all bunched up on pages in mobile devices. That's why I mentioned that it was style-related and could be handled nicely using a responsive design.
It does and responsive design just hides the sidebar. That's annoying and why I don't have it installed on my site or else I'd buy it. I would like the sidebar stuff to always show, just below everything else.

It does and responsive design just hides the sidebar. That's annoying and why I don't have it installed on my site or else I'd buy it. I would like the sidebar stuff to always show, just below everything else.
Well, it hides it, but also provides a button to where you can show it - and then it displays it at the bottom. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to modify it to show it all the time. Ask Arty if there's currently an option.

At present the most annoying thing of xenforo is the quoting system. It's a pain to manually quote nested quotes.

Why of course. The TinyMCE editor. The one I used right now to reply to your post. Try entering more than a thousand characters and scroll down. :)
Then? I don't get the problem. You mean the elastic plugin (auto-resize). It's working fine for me and it's a XenForo plugin. If you want a full screen to compose/edit your post, use the fullscreen plugin (see here).

Top Bottom