So, what don't you like about XenForo?

Couple of threads here on XF that talk about it, too. ;)
Well, that happens when you don't keep up I guess. :p

My biggest complaint with XF to date is how the templates/style properties need to be cleaned up and re-prioritized in a big way.

44484117.png

Window smileys should be show down low not because it is hidden.
Always have to move the cursor down the Internet and back into the opening smileys.

Overview of the various tabs on the mouse, or previews in forums, open "popup" instantly, it should mark some time with the mouse to open the "popup".

Yeah. I saw redactor.
I think Redactor is among the category of light wysiwyg editors so can't really be compared with TinyMCE or CKeditor. I'm still waiting a professional developer confirms it is a opened as the two big ones. Now Redactor will be a nice solution on mobile devices but still need to be optimized: to put text in color you need to select text first, which is a mess on mobile devices.

Last thing: most important than the editor is its integration. XenForo TinyMCE integration is really good (better that what I've see on Wordpress) and can be improved. If KAM can do the same with Redactor and this editor is as opened as the existed one, let's change it. It still doesn't imply to "hate" TinyMCE, but we already have this conversation.

Always have to move the cursor down the Internet and back into the opening smileys.

Overview of the various tabs on the mouse, or previews in forums, open "popup" instantly, it should mark some time with the mouse to open the "popup".
Use css to fix this...

I can't find stuff in style properties in admincp not even using the admin search.

Trying to find message4.png

Tried to break it down to message4

Still can't find it. And I know it's there.

Here's a code you can configure as you wish in your extra template:
HTML:
/*Smilies Box*/
    .xenForoSkin .mceSmiliesMenu div
    {
        height: 55px;
        overflow:hidden;
    }

#mce_fullscreen_xenforo_smilies_menu .mceSmiliesMenu div
    {
        height: 100px !important;
        overflow-y:scroll;
    }

This css "mce_fullscreen_xenforo_smilies_menu .mceSmiliesMenu div" is when you use the Fullscreen plugin. But you can use its values to replace those of .xenForoSkin .mceSmiliesMenu div

Good ideas :)

What's a UG wiki ?

User-generated.

Related: Brogan has been maintaining the help file that has full of all sorts of FAQ items, installation instruction, etc. But I forget how to find it half of the time. There's isn't a link to it from the forum. You have to go back to xf.com and click help from there. And it certainly could be expanded, but only a handful of people have permission to edit it.

I can see it being something like Facebook privacy controls...a very small list of items that you can change.
Even better, having pre-defined settings that select all the correct permission settings, and if you want to customize you can go into advanced mode and change them.

For example, have settings like the following:

Who can post in this forum: Everyone, Registered, Moderating, Administrative, Custom
Who can view this forum: Everyone, Registered, Moderating, Administrative, Custom

Selecting Registered, preselects the more fine-grained permissions for that group, which you can later change using custom settings from the advanced page.

Who can post in this forum: Everyone, Registered, Moderating, Administrative, Custom
Who can view this forum: Everyone, Registered, Moderating, Administrative, Custom

Yeah, you're doing it wrong.

"Registered" is anyone that's logged in. So you assign permissions to that usergroup for things you want any logged-in user to be able to do. Then you have other usergroups which ADD permissions. I have usergroups whose only purpose is to grant view/post/etc privileges for a node.

Yeah, you're doing it wrong.

"Registered" is anyone that's logged in. So you assign permissions to that usergroup for things you want any logged-in user to be able to do. Then you have other usergroups which ADD permissions. I have usergroups whose only purpose is to grant view/post/etc privileges for a node.
My demonstration was for quick setup of permissions. Obviously, if Registered users have permission to view/post/etc, the other groups would, as well, since, every logged in member should already be a member of that group. If you have more fine-grained needs for your forum, you would use the advanced mode.

I think Redactor is among the category of light wysiwyg editors so can't really be compared with TinyMCE or CKeditor. I'm still waiting a professional developer confirms it is a opened as the two big ones. Now Redactor will be a nice solution on mobile devices but still need to be optimized: to put text in color you need to select text first, which is a mess on mobile devices.
Forums really don't need advanced or complicated (fancy) editors, we're not writing and designing website articles here, we're posting simple messages (at least 99.99% of the time). Although I wouldn't even want these editors to write website articles as I prefer to write the HTML and CSS myself. Editors that produce the code to make it 'easier' for the author, spew out horrendous code, and TinyMCE is no exception to this. Redactor seems to work better as I try it on their site, and it's probably hard to make a worse editor than TinyMCE, but to be sure I would have to fully test it for a longer period and with the XF integration.

Last thing: most important than the editor is its integration. XenForo TinyMCE integration is really good (better that what I've see on Wordpress) and can be improved. If KAM can do the same with Redactor and this editor is as opened as the existed one, let's change it. It still doesn't imply to "hate" TinyMCE, but we already have this conversation.
Good integration is definitely important, even better is not having to integrate and write the whole thing yourself. Start simple, add more in future releases. Allow admins to disable/enable/add editor functionality. I want to add that my hate towards TinyMCE is perfectly justified.

User-generated.

Related: Brogan has been maintaining the help file that has full of all sorts of FAQ items, installation instruction, etc. But I forget how to find it half of the time. There's isn't a link to it from the forum. You have to go back to xf.com and click help from there. And it certainly could be expanded, but only a handful of people have permission to edit it.

There is a link in the footer, not very noticeable for sure and might be better named "Manual" or something, as Help looks kinda like it is the default help page for the forum.

Top Bottom