Setting up Facebook, Twitter & Google Integration

Setting up Facebook, Twitter & Google Integration

I wanted to Integrate Google, when i reach the "APIs & auth", then "Credentials" and click "Create New Client ID" this steps,

i don't find any "Create New Client ID" option under Credentials.

Screenshot: http://prntscr.com/8j5xmo

Need helps.
Thank You

Is it just me or is something off with the Google integration? The first time I tried to test the integration by associating my account via External Accounts, I got all the popups etc., gave my consent and saved... and seemingly nothing happened. I refreshed and XF still said that my account is not currently associated. However, I did see the "Welcome back <name>" g+1 popup display at the bottom of the page... huh.

Then I tried associating the account again and got a prompt to enter my pass (didn't get this the first time I tried), which seemingly worked and displayed my account as associated. So I went ahead and disassociated it. Only now I still get the "Welcome back <name>" popup whenever I load account/external-accounts despite it saying that my account is currently not associated with Google.

This is on 1.5.0. Any ideas @Mike ?

Am I the only one who thinks that Twitter and Facebook integration are next to useless for forum owners? I mean, the ratio of "time spent on" to "benefit derived" from social media reach-out efforts leads me to the conclusion that I've wasted huge chunks of my life on this for a random click here and there. My conclusion: Facebook and Twitter users just aren't the same folks who join and participate on forums. Twitter, in particular, is next to worthless. I think the masses have long ago checked out of Twitter. Reason: finding anything worthwhile among the mountains of spam is just too much work.

Rather off topic, and mostly irrelevant.

This thread is about specifically setting up the ability for people to log in to your site using Facebook, Twitter or Google. And, actually, a fair amount of people do this. It's not necessarily the case that it is winning you new members, it's not necessarily allowing content to be brought in from the social network, or shared to the social network, but a lot of people prefer to use them to authenticate to sites because it's more convenient for them.

This is a discussion for another thread, though.

Rather off topic, and mostly irrelevant.

This thread is about specifically setting up the ability for people to log in to your site using Facebook, Twitter or Google. And, actually, a fair amount of people do this. It's not necessarily the case that it is winning you new members, it's not necessarily allowing content to be brought in from the social network, or shared to the social network, but a lot of people prefer to use them to authenticate to sites because it's more convenient for them.

This is a discussion for another thread, though.

Sorry. I ran across this thread from google and didn't bother to look at the purpose. Feel free to delete my comments.

How do I associate specific user on my website with the Facebook account? Right now my site logs in as the Admin but instead I wanted to login with a specific user name account. Thanks

I think I got it. Here is what I did:
  • in developers.facebook.com/apps I changed the email addy to the email addy for my specific user id on my website
  • on my website, I logged in as the desired target user and went to /account/external-accounts to associate the account
I think this works. Are these the correct steps?

I am sorry if this has been covered, did not find it.
Why doesn't the button to "Login with Facebook" lead to the Facebook app providing the authentication details to the forum? Why does it go to the facebook.com link within the browser instead? I don't use facebook in my browser, but am always logged in to the facebook app on my iPhone. It'd be good to be able to grab authentification details from the app if a given user is not logged into facebook in the browser.

Everything's working but facebook is giving me a warning about missing Oauth redirect URI. I don't know what to put in this field...
oauth.webp

UPDATE: Solved my problem by entering my forum's URL as the valid OAuth redirect URI.

Last edited:
The least amount of these you give your users data to the better. All my bigger boards I've disabled all connected accounts now. Anonymized IP addresses in Google analytics. And am considering scrapping skimlinks. At least they're open about cookies lol

Top Bottom